main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Newbie Welcome Party - The House-Warming Party!

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Skiara , Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    No, just video cameras in the heating/air conditioning vents watching everything they do. :p

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Actually, if my experience was anything to do by, they do have police in the dorms :p

3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Exactly the reason why I don't live in a dorm. :p

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That's right... resist the system...

5. silverfighter

silverfighter Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 28, 2007
    Trust me, I wish I weren't still in a dorm. Next year I'm getting OUT. :p

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Homelessness =/= freedom. It will be quite hard to study or produce theses from underneath a bridge. The police may stifle some of your freedoms, I'd stay in the dorm.

7. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    Well obviously if you can't afford a flat that doesnt belong to the university services. (In any case uni dorms are different here, as they aren't on campus, but rather spread through out the city)(some are next to the campus though)

8. silverfighter

Apr 28, 2007
    Flats here are actually cheaper than dorming, surprisingly. Our school doesn't have on-campus apartments, and they're twice as expensive as a "real" apartments. Plus no obnoxious fire alarms... seriously, last week one of the apartments had 3 fire alarms in one night because of how sensitive they are.

9. morrison85

May 13, 2005
    wow thats a bit strange, where is the advantage then?. Getting a flat as a single student is actually quite hard here, many student live in shared flats(like 2 to 4 in a normal flat and they share the rent) Rooms in dorms may not be sensationally big( I think they are about 16 m² ? and they cost only about 200€ month. (unshared room, rooms are all single rooms from what I know of the Hamburg dorms)

10. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    And I always thought "WDDSWITYJCC" means "We DO discuss Star Wars in the YJCC". :oops::p

I would prefer a flat or shared flat, but also would prefer a dorm instead of homelessness. I've seen really bad dorms (smelly, dirty), but also have seen the opposite. So it always depends on the dorm.

I guess it's better to be paranoid than having another fire... isn't it?

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    "Better safe than sorry" or in GI Joe terms: "Knowing is half the battle".

12. morrison85

May 13, 2005
    Since when is it possible to just change usernames? and why did you do so?Oh and fire alarms. the most horrible(aka effective ) Fire alarms are also at the university buildings. eeeeeek you don't want to exposed to that too long. I had a couple of fire drills and they involve getting down the stairs from the 10th floor while this horrible siren is on.

My schools fire siren was more this 'air raid' alarm jkind of wave sound, not the really high pitched one.

13. silverfighter

Apr 28, 2007
    Well, I'm planning on sharing a flat with a few girls, so it should work out financially. And yeah, better safe than sorry with a ton of fire alarms is all well and good until people start to ignore the alarms. That's how people died in the last one. So they're really not helping anything. :p

In other news, it seems that Sandy hasn't entirely killed us all as I can see all of Manhattan from my window, fully lit up. [face_dancing]Buuuuuuuut I couldn't this time last week because there were actually trees in the way, which means a LOT of trees are gone.

14. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    What about the idea of using the best available fire alarms instead of some that ring every other minute? That would help more...

Outch, so Sandy was really bad, right? I heard in the news that some parts of New York are without electricity right now and there's really cold weather waiting to hit New York within the next days, so it might even get worse for those people being without getting warm houses - especially since fuel is almost not available anymore as well. That's true?

The change of usernames is possible since the big move, Morri. But there are some restrictions, so it's not possible to change one's name just for the fun of it for a couple of hours. The full list of rules can be found in Comms. :)

15. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    Morri sis, are you wanting to change yours to teh morri? :p

16. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2007
    Hello everyone

17. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Hello Poundpuppy! :) Where's that pic from? Interesting one...

18. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2007
  19. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    That banner would crash our server! :p If you were in a thread talking with only one other person you would only be able to fit 6 posts per page. [face_hypnotized]

20. silverfighter

Apr 28, 2007
    Yeah, it's pretty bad here. There are miles long lines for gas with rationing in effect, people walking around with guns... um you're only allowed in stores if you have cash and there's rationing for that too, and right now there are still a lot of people without electricity, and there's almost no heating fuel left so if it gets as cold as they're saying it will next week it'll be pretty crazy. I would say most traffic lights are out, which makes driving even more insane than before. Electricity is starting to come back on (somehow we didn't lose ours here at school, and no we have no idea how that is), but not fast enough. Schools and businesses have been closed all week. We're starting again on Monday, but a lot of professors have already cancelled since there isn't a lot of fuel and they can't afford to get here. Seriously, it's starting to make me believe in the 2012 doomsday theorists. :p

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    What State are you in? I filled up for 3.35 in south Jersey this morning. Life is tranquil in Philly, aside from our regularly scheduled daily homicide rate.

22. silverfighter

Apr 28, 2007
    North Jersey, about 20-30ish minutes outside the city. Things are kinda insane up here. I heard that Philly didn't get much damage?

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Shockingly, no. My lights flickered once. Areas got their usual flooding, but they would flood during an average rain storm. We took a direct hit but were open for business by the morning. I have friends in Lodi, Demarest, Dumont, and other towns near you and they all had tree issues. But, now this gas situation up there has turned the whole area into an episode of Walking Dead.

24. silverfighter

Apr 28, 2007
    Yeah that's a fairly accurate statement. :p Basically I've been trying to stay on campus as much as possible. It's such a bubble here that I had no idea how bad it had gotten and stupidly tried to go shopping the other day. Almost got hit 3 times (not that it isn't entirely abnormal for that here anyways ;) ) but I got there and only half of the lights were on because it was running on a generator. Thank God I wasn't there for food or water, but just trying to replace a pair of jeans I tore, but I still half expected to be mugged or have stuff ripped from my hands by some half-crazed person.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Are you at Rutgers or Seton Hall?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.