main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NO BOOTLEGS. WE MEAN IT!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by jasman, May 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I_WAS_JUST_BANNED

I_WAS_JUST_BANNED Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2002
    i dont think its really to do with any mods owning a bootleg- thats up to them.

As much as I favor the mod's own rights to choose, I have to disagree on this. It's this exact kind of corruption that causes bootlegs to exist in the first place. "It's OK for me to have it, I'm not selling it or anything..."

It's all or nothing people. I don't think that there should ever be links on this site to bootlegs. I also think that the people enforcing that rule should not have bootlegs either. Until that happens, how can their judgements be trusted? So TFN mods really can have their cake and eat it too.

I personally have one not to watch, it's horrible. I use it purely for informational purposes when posting here, so that I don't post bad info about the scene in question. I actually haven't look at it in a month, it's that bad.

2. Christovsky

Christovsky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 28, 2002
    Lucas has enough money from these movies...

...who cares! Long live bootlegged music and film.

3. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    I wouldn't be suprised if half the mods here used bootlegs. I mean many many people use them, but i think people that use warez just need to shut up and keep it too themselves.

BTW: People always asume that you cant ever get a really good bootleg. Thats a load of crap!!! A guy i know has a full blow awsome picture quality bootle of AOTC, and 5.1 channel sound.

Christovsky [cant spell] you da man!!!
    You forgot bootlegged software :)

4. Skywalker1177

Skywalker1177 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2002
    I completely agree with 'I_WAS_JUST_BANNED', the mods are being hypoctrites. They should have to follow the same rules they are inforcing. And the only reason why this thread hasn't been closed down, is because it was started by a mod. Had I started it, they would have shut it down immediately b/c it had to do with bootlegs etc.

5. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    We'll all cry when the entertainment business dies because we are too cheap to pay $8 to watch a movie.

Its counter productive to have anything to do with bootlegs.

No matter what any here says, there's no way they could have the quality of picture and sound you get in a decent theatre - or the atomsphere you get going to see a movie with a load of Star Wars fans.

M

6. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
  7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Anyone promoting bootlegs in this thread will be banned.

8. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    If the admins didn't enforce the no bootlegs rule, there would be no boards at all. Quit whining. If you really needed a bootleg, I'm sure there's many other ways to get one other than on these forums. By the way, advocating illegal activity is NOT protected by the 1st amendment.

9. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Also to clarify, there is no free speech on this board. Everything that is allowed on this privately owned site is up to the owners and the administration.

10. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Yes Knightwriter is also correct that this board is not required to allow free speech as it is privately owned.

11. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    So this is where we go if we want to link to bootlegs right? [face_mischief] :p

12. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    There is a secret link hidden within the JC forums to a high quality bootleg. All you need to do is hit CTRL + ALT + DEL, twice.

13. I_WAS_JUST_BANNED

Aug 5, 2002
    foxbatkllr,

Your quest to become a mod is almost complete, hey you've got something on your nose...

14. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    no need to cry, malkie - a few bootlegs won't kill the entertainment industry.

"By the way, advocating illegal activity is NOT protected by the 1st amendment."

this statement by itself is completely false. the first amendment is there, partially, to protect us when we speak out against laws that we disagree with.

however, the legality of bootlegs should not be questioned. infringing on copyrights is stealing.

15. ElfStar

Mar 24, 2001
    [homer simpson] Unless... [/homer simpson]

16. I_WAS_JUST_BANNED

Aug 5, 2002
    "By the way, advocating illegal activity is NOT protected by the 1st amendment."

have you actually read the first amendment or are you basing this on what they taught you in 7th grade Civics class?

17. perpatrator_pimp

perpatrator_pimp Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2002
  18. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Devilanse, you are unbanned now. However, do not post with a sock while banned.

19. ElfStar

Mar 24, 2001
    [homer simpson] bootlegging, eh???... [/homer simpson]

20. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    From the first post:

Anyone who requests or provides links to bootlegs, or who argues in favor of bootlegs, or who advocates or facilitates the receiving or distribution of bootlegs, will be banned.

From some posts above:

"Lucas has enough money from these movies..."
    There's a reason he has money... because he made a successful product that people liked. That isn't a reason to stop giving him money. As long as he makes good movies, I'll continue to donate to his children's inheritance.

"I completely agree with 'I_WAS_JUST_BANNED', the mods are being hypoctrites. They should have to follow the same rules they are inforcing."
    They are following the same rules. Please point out somewhere that a mod gave away information on how to get a bootleg, or where a mod advocated the use of bootlegs.

" And the only reason why this thread hasn't been closed down, is because it was started by a mod."
    The thread was started to explain the bootleg policy, so that people couldn't whine and complain after getting banned for bootleg related activities, claiming "You never told us".

"no need to cry, malkie - a few bootlegs won't kill the entertainment industry."
    This isn't just a few bootlegs. There are MILLIONS out there. And it is hurting the entertainment industry.

21. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    have you actually read the first amendment or are you basing this on what they taught you in 7th grade Civics class?

First of all, I am a law student. Secondly, my statement was taken out of context of this particular discussion. You will not be thrown into jail just for talking about bootlegs. However, if you speak out about illegal activity to the point where a reasonable person would think you are actually participating in illegal activity, it is not protected.

Lastly, I don't have aspirations to become a mod. I'm merely interested in keeping these forums alive and not shut down by Lucasfilm.

Edit: Oh and there is a difference between free speech and unprotected speech. Don't misconstrue my statements as thinking if you say something that is unprotected you'll get thrown in jail. Unprotected speech just means you don't have a right to say it.

22. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    a mod can own a bootleg AND stop people from posting links and where to get bootlegs on this site. he/she is just doing what a mod is required to do- whether they agree with it or not. so the case that its hypocritical for them to own one and stop people posting about them is nonsense. i have yet to see a mod say they have one or where to get one and then ban or censor someone else saying the same thing- THATS hypocritical.

23. I_WAS_JUST_BANNED

Aug 5, 2002
    TK421 - I see your point, nice spin. I never thought about it that way.

Foxbatkllr - I was just teasing about the mod aspiration, your posts were kinda:

"Yeah - What He said!!"

though. Like I said before, I had a boot, and it was so awful, I got rid of it.

24. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    RE:Fair USE....
    Someone tried to call the FU act into this discussion.. Bootlegs do NOT fall under FU at all (And I DO mean FAIR USE not the other inferance! ;) )

Fair Use does NOT protect people who download off the web...

25. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.