main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

No Other Choice ( JA, Obi, Qui, angst, h/c) - Promise kept, updated (1-30-03)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Antigone, Apr 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antigone

Antigone Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    Title: No Other Choice
    Author: Antigone
    Spoilers: None
    Timeline: Obi is 18
    Rating: PG - PG-13 (non-slash)
    Summery: Obi-Wan is faced with one of the most difficult trials in his life. Will he go it alone,
    or admit what he?s doing to Qui-Gon?
    Disclaimer: Uhuh, I own them. I own them and the billions of dollars which come with them. That?s exactly why I write fanfiction?(sarcasm?don?t own ?em, never will?sigh)

Sith! Not again!

Obi-Wan lay huddled on his small sleep couch wrapped tightly in a cocoon of thin sheets, a light coating of sweat clinging to his tense features. He curled in upon himself and released a hushed moan as another wave of nausea passed over him, this one stronger than the last.

He gritted his teeth and waited it out. When the agony was over, Obi-Wan released the breath he didn?t realize he was holding and relaxed for a moment. He inhaled deeply and ran a hand over his moist forehead, bringing it down across his face and sighing.

This scene was repeated after every visit Obi-Wan made to the small establishment a few levels below the Temple. Cold sweats, nausea, vomiting?was it really worth it?

Yes.

Yes, of course it was worth it. The benefits outweighed what he was suffering right now. After all, it would all be over in a little while.

But not right now, he reminded himself as he lifted his body from the cool, slightly damp sheets. The previous nausea episode had passed, but he didn?t trust himself to successfully defend against another. Obi-Wan made the short journey to the ?fresher on unsteady legs, groping out blindly for anything that might keep him upright until he could unceremoniously collapse in front of the durasteel toilet.

The only thing that Obi-Wan seemed to be fully capable of doing at the moment was shielding from his master. Qui-Gon knew nothing of his padawan?s battles?with enough practice, Obi-Wan had mastered blocking all signs and alerts he might send to the elder Jedi ? either through the training bond or the Force itself. He had to. Qui-Gon could never find out.

Obi-Wan?s hands clutched the cold metal as the invisible demon attacking his stomach returned for another go at it. The padawan unconsciously double checked his shields before retching as silently as possible into the steel bowl.

When he was finished, he leaned back weakly against the wall, bringing a trembling hand up to wipe his mouth. What little color there was in his face when he entered the ?fresher had long since fled; the padawan?s skin nearing the pallor of his white/dusted grey sleep tunic.

Obi-Wan allowed his body to go slack and closed his eyes, silently reassuring himself. It will all be over soon. You?ll survive, it isn?t that bad.

You?ll feel fine by morning.

Just a small lead in. The rest of the chapters will definitely be longer. Know exactly where this one is going, so I won?t be spending most of my time planning, so you won?t be spending most of your time waiting. What do you think of it so far? What do you think the Obi issue is? =) lol, now all of you be good lil Jedi and review!

2. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    what's wrong with obi, is he some sort of addict, bulimic, or does he have some sort of wasting disease, please hurry with the next post Antigone. 7

3. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    If you ever, EVER, accuse me of posting cliffhangers, I'm going to remind you of this. After all, I absolutely do NOT have time to get hooked on another fic - and here you are painting this completely intriguing, absolutely uninformative picture of a suffering Obi. Now HOW am I supposed to concentrate on anything but that vision?

HMMMM - my guess is something he's doing to try to make himself stronger or faster or better or - whatever, but something his Master would strongly disapprove of. Still, if it's something done in the Temple ----. OK - massively confused. So post already - and tell us what he's really up to.

4. lt_ketch09

lt_ketch09 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    Ooh, interesting. :)

What's wrong with Obi this time :( ?

Post more soon, and tell us what's happened.

UP! 8-}

5. Nat

Nat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    I agree with CYN, it must be something to improve his skills. Something obviously not very good for his health, and as a consequence a bit silly (it's an understatement, guys :D).

But then, only you can provide us with the right answer and I can't wait to find out! ;)

6. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    Nice beginning, I'm already waiting for the next part with bated breath. :) Yes, I agree with others, it looks as though Obi is taking something his master wouldn't approve of to increase his performance in some way.

7. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Cool post

What's wrong w/our Obi!?

MORE!!!

8. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    interesting- more please :)

9. Ganki

Ganki Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    obi...Obi......OBI! Whats wrong sweety. *snif* I don't want Obi-Wan to hurt.

MORE SOON PLEASE!

10. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Gr-Adm-Thrawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2002
    Nice start !

And a nice name you have Antigone brings back nice memories.

the Admiral

11. Enigma_Jade

Enigma_Jade Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    ahh! Great job so far! You can't leave it there! Post!

EJ

12. Antigone

Feb 24, 2002
    You guyz are so sweet!

I have speculation! I never dreamed I would have speculation...about my fic! Wow. They're fun to read lol.

With out further rambling...

13. Antigone

Feb 24, 2002
    ?Obi-Wan.?

No answer.

?Obi-Wan!?

Qui-Gon palmed open the door to his padawan?s room, sighing at the red fuzz tipped lump almost entirely hidden under the white sheets. It was half-past the eighth hour for Force?s sake!

Qui-Gon strode over to the sleep couch, grabbed hold of a corner of the tangled mess of bedding, and yanked it off his slumbering apprentice. Obi-Wan mumbled incoherently before curling into a tighter ball and burrowing his head deeper into the pillow.

Qui-Gon chuckled softly at the boy?s instinctive attempt to maintain some of his previous warmth and gave a quick tug on the braid which lay limply across Obi-Wan?s bare neck. The Jedi master was mildly surprised that his padawan wasn?t wearing his sleep tunic and, glancing around the small room, found it crumpled and bunched up in the corner next to the door.

You would think, Qui-Gon mused, that, after five years, either I would learn to accept my padawan?s living habits or he would learn to pick up his clothes. Qui-Gon smirked, why I held to that ridiculous hope still remains a mystery.

Another jerk of the braid and Obi-Wan responded audibly ? with semi-words, but audibly.

?Mmmm?wha??

?Up, padawan! Up!? Qui-Gon smiled slightly as Obi-Wan lifted his head a little, turning a bleary eye towards his master before digging his face deeper into the pillow.

Turning to leave, Qui-Gon called over his shoulder, ?Obi-Wan, I want you up and ready.? The master snatched the wrinkled sleep tunic from its corner and flung it on top of its owner?s bare back, ?Now.?

Qui-Gon palmed open the door and walked out, confident, as the door swished shut, that his padawan would be joining him at the breakfast table momentarily.

Obi-Wan pulled his head up from the blessed softness of his pillow, unable to focus on anything other than the intense throbbing in his head ? his head which seemed to have put on 50 pounds during his one hour of actual sleep. Force, how he just wanted to stay in bed?possibly die, but for now, he would settle to just stay in bed.

Shivering, Obi-Wan made a weak attempt to pull the pile of sheets back up, over his shoulders, but changed his mind halfway through. If he got too comfortable, then he?d give in to the allure of the unconscious ? only to be dragged out some minutes later by a very annoyed Jedi master. Not exactly what Obi-Wan wanted to ? or, for that matter, was capable of ? dealing with in his present condition.

Summoning what little resolve he had, Obi-Wan forced himself up ? the discarded sleep tunic Qui-Gon had thrown on him sliding off ? swung his legs over the side of the sleep couch and pushed off the bed, staggering a moment before catching himself on the nearby dresser.

Groping blindly in draws, to sick to bother himself with fully opening his eyes, Obi-Wan found ? by touch ? something suitable to wear, pulled the tunic and pants on, leaving his sleep bottoms lying inside out next to his bed, ran a hand through his ginger spikes, and left his room to join Qui-Gon for morning meal.

Obi-Wan walked slowly down the hall, into the common room, and stopping just before the entrance to the eating room. There was no use in even trying to make himself look perfectly fine ? the effort would only further convince Qui-Gon that his padawan needed to be looked over by a healer.

?Good morning, Master,? Obi-Wan said, forcing a smile as he stepped into the room, grabbed the plate of food his master had left on the counter for him, and sat down at the table.

?Good morning, Padawan. Nice to see you finally got up,? the Jedi said, a smile softening his words. He watched as his apprentice set the plate down at the seat across from him and dropped himself into the chair, slouching down immediately into a more comfortable, but definitely not characteristic, position.

Suddenly, as if aware of the concern sparking in his master, Obi-Wan pulled himself up, straightened his tunic, picked up his fork ? but made no move to eat.

Now *that* was not normal.

14. CYNICAL21

Jul 8, 2001
    Very scary!! And super intriguing.

What in the world would disgust his Master so much - and, in that case, why would he do it?

Definitely hooked here. More, More, More. :D

15. sheleigh

sheleigh Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Wow... that was wonderful! Hope to see more soon...

16. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    What is he doing??????

17. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    ahhhhhh!!!!, i want more!!! 7

18. Nat

Nat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    What *is* he doing? I don't know why, but I kind of have the impression that this training session with Qui-Gon won't go as well as planned... ;)

19. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Jan 1, 2002
    what on Coruscant is going on here !

Obiwan ?? what is going on in that little head of yours ?

Antigone UP !

The Admiral

20. Antigone

Feb 24, 2002

LoL, you'll have to wait some time before you actually get the full picture...soon you'll get more explanation, but ground work first. :)

Two or three more posts, then you'll start getting some more pieces. Thanx for sticking it out with me!

21. Antigone

Feb 24, 2002
    The master lunged at his padawan, hoping to catch the younger off guard. When the boy sidestepped the blade, a simple flick the elder?s wrist set the ?saber upon him again.

Block, block ? parry

The master slowed his actions, deliberately allowing flaws in his sword-handling, giving his padawan a chance to exploit his ?carelessness.? Noticing the Jedi master?s mistakes, the apprentice quickly took advantage of them ? at his own safety?s expense. The boy left far too many openings, let his guard fall in hopes of defeating his opponent; were he fighting an actual enemy, he would have been dead ten times over.

The more opportunities the master purposefully gave, the more the student unknowingly did. The elder allowed this to continue, waiting for his padawan?s performance to hit such a level that, when the apprentice was defeated, the lesson would have an impact.

Qui-Gon had used that technique before. Only once, but that was enough. Obi-Wan never made that mistake again, not after the particularly humiliating kill-point which he received after flying twenty feet from his training mat and into the middle of another match. Qui-Gon?s pride in his padawan soared after witnessing Obi-Wan rise, turn to the knights whose battle he had interrupted, apologize ? adding, with a touch of his trademark humor, that, whoever the loser may be, he should feel completely free to blame the loss on the padawan who smacked into him during the duel ? walk over, drop down onto their own mat, and wait expectantly for the deserved kill-point. Then, he felt pride; now, as he watched the master/padawan team spar, he felt a surge of annoyance.

He padawan was late.

Checking the chrono for the umpteenth time, Qui-Gon noted that another thirty-three seconds had passed. It was eleven minutes and twenty-seven seconds past ten.

If I have to go fetch him, Qui-Gon thought, I?d better find him on his deathbed ? or he?ll wish he was.

With another quick glance at the now ended sparing match ? the master was helping the padawan up from the training mat, lecturing on overconfidence ? Qui-Gon turned to greet the sudden arrival of a familiar Force presence.

?Padawan, what time is it??

?Ten thirteen, Master.?

?And what time were you told to be here??

Obi-Wan sighed, ?The tenth hour, Master.?

Qui-Gon turned from him strode towards the mat, Obi-Wan following meekly. Qui-Gon addressed the apprentice without looking back, knowing that the boy was following, ?Have you stretched yet??

?Yes, Master.?

?Fine. We will spar and after, you will meditate on the virtue of punctuality.?

Obi-Wan again loosed a barely audible sigh. He had not meant to be late; his bed had just seemed so inviting and, having only slept one hour, his mind could not resist his tired body?s desires. Awaking at five after the tenth hour, Obi-Wan quickly donned his workout tunic and sprinted down the hall towards the training rooms only to realize, halfway there, that he had forgotten his lightsaber. By the time he had actually arrived at the training room, his master?s annoyance was almost palpable ? not only through the bond, but through the Force as well. Steeling himself, he had entered preparing for ? and receiving ? a justifiably cold welcome.

It would be best not to further aggravate Qui-Gon, he thought; just agree.

?Yes, Master.?

Each took his place on opposite ends of the training mat; sparing time, same as always, sans the usual warmth flowing between them.

Though Obi-Wan was quickly recovering from his hangover of sorts, being forced to spar against an angry Jedi master, from whom he was certain to receive no quarter, was not high on his list of ?must do?s?. Oh, what he would have given to have been there on time! Not only had he to deal with his master?s warranted annoyance, but also his mind now had his ill characteristic of tardiness to concentrate on?

Nevertheless, when Qui-Gon bowed , signaling the commencement of the duel, Obi-Wan mimicked his motion. When the master struck, the student parri

22. CYNICAL21

Jul 8, 2001
    OK - Who's scorching our Obi? And why on earth would he allow ANYONE to do that? That's supposed to be reserved for Masters - who had sense enough not to - and skill enough to heal it, if they do.

Weirder and weirder - and absolutely intriguing. Post again soon - please. :)

23. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Jan 1, 2002
    FASCINATING !

the Admiral

24. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    THAT WAS REALLY GOOD!

Post more soon pleeze! :)

Great style of writing, too!

25. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    What is going on with Obi and why does he feel he has no other choice? Lots of questions and so far no answers. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.