main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson November Food Drive

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by dialswiftjustice, Nov 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    reminders to bring water... and a few snacks.. though we are right next to shop eating spots.. which should help.

also.. do we want music outside to draw attention.. I should perhaps call and ask tomorrow if that is okay.. if so.. Frankie you said you still have my cd player.. and Hal can you bring the cd of the best again.

the boxes are actually very small.. so we will have to have a couple of us guarding boxes.. very easy to take things out and walk off.. also .. have to really really guard the full boxes. I am so hoping we get some really full boxes..

2. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I am going to wal-mart in the morning to ask if the mgr will allow people to know we are collecting for the tucson community food bank in front of gamestop.. also best buy.. hoping this might help drum up business.. if they will do it.. would be tacky for them to not do it I think though.

3. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    oh.. yes.. and Jake and I will bring the ice chest.. I should have thought and got some water donated again.. but I didn't think about it until just this evening.. but I can certainly bring some cold filtered water from home.. just will be in odds and ends containers.. from juice and soda liters.

4. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    Cathie, if you and Jake bring the ice chest and ice, I will spring for some bottled water and gatorade.

5. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    sounds like a plan, Mr Wookie :) that will free me up to bring some donuts or something. :) the ice is free from work.

6. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    we are getting a couple of mentions on radio stations.. just off and on..

also.. Scott.. one of the General Managers of Wal-Mart on Wetmore has told me if I will come and talk to him for a few minutes in the morning before 10am he thinks he will have no trouble at all putting our foodbank drive on his intercom for the costumers.

I was thinking what better way to get some donations than when someone hears it over wal-mart's loudspeaker and they just buy groceries spur of the moment and head over to see Vader and Chewie and crew!

7. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Dustin are there any photos from the children's clinic.. or only the video.. I was hoping to have some photos for the mgr at wal mart of our events.. I have the ones from bookmans I am showing him.. I will just tell him we have chewbacca and the wookie this time instead of stormtroopers.. and hopefully Jango as well.. though have not heard if Frankie was able to fix his costume or not.

8. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    OK, I will be there. If I am not there right at 10am don't panic! I'll show up ;)

9. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    For the hurricane katrina drive I was out all day the day before going into every shop, or store in town I could think of..shamelessly telling people what we were doing the next day.. I have no car now.. I am hoping if any of you read this.. you will be sure and mention to all you see about the foodbank drive tomorrow.. I am currently sitting here emailing and calling all the radio and tv stations trying to get us more on air promotion.. I would go out and hit places in person.. but since I don't have a car I can't.. so I am doing all I can from here at home on the phone and online. I really wish I were stronger and I could turn the steering wheel on the truck.. what I want to do it go and hit all the stores in the mall by walmart.. and all the other places near by.. this is what I did for Katrina.. don't know if it helped.. but I did it anyway.

I did however have lunch at KFC today and told them.. then had Jake stop at Burger King and Albertsons and told them.. but Jake had to come home and sleep or he won't make it through work tonight.. let alone tomorrow.

10. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    Well, The wonderful state of Arizona has deemed it nessesary for me to work tomorrow to cover a visit for a co worker that will be out of town for a funeral...The visit is from 9-12, so I will miss the first part of the can gathering..but I should be there for the ending. They pulled this crap on me last weekend too....oh well. Sorry fellas [face_frustrated]

11. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    that is truly the pits!!! they should not be able to do that when you had plans.. esp for a good cause!! I am not happy in the least with your job right now.

12. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    we are going to ask for a donation plus one dollar in order to enter a drawing for a Battlefront II game. Doing this hoping for more donations for the foodbank.. the foodbank said this is fine as long as we give any money over and above the price of the game to the foodbank as a donation.. I figure this is a good way to get in more food and money for the foodbank.

so to explain.. the raffle itself will hopefully pay for the game.. and then any money left over we will donate to the Tucson Community Foodbank. If we fall short of the money to pay for the game.. then I will pay the difference.. though I will certainly take any help I can get if anyone wants to pitch in.. but this is only if we don't make enough to pay for it in the first place.

13. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    all three major news desks say we are on their calendar.. no promises.. which is what we are used to hearing.. but chances are not bad as that was pretty much what they said for katrina as well.. and then they all three showed up.. because only 11 had told us they were for sure coming.. and then they all showed up.. so lets hope.. andy taylor may also drop by for a phone remote like he did for katrina.. but again.. no promises.. but we can pray for good things to happen!!

14. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I think sometimes these news people just think I am nuts :) I am shameless.. even calling up stations on the request lines and asking for plugs.. tomorrow I will do it on my cell as well.. during the event.. hope for a few plugs for sure.

15. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    So I couldn't stand that I couldn't go door to door at the shopping mall looking for donations for the foodbank drive.. so I went door to door in the neighborhood tonight and got seven homes to donate some groceries.. I pick them up at doorsteps in the morning.. the morning will show the proof of the pudding.. but one house was already looking in the cupboards before I even left their house.. so I feel good about asking the neighbors to donate.. it gave me an adrenalin rush that went right to making me feel great and inspired.

16. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    by the way.. just in case any of you are wondering.. I printed up a statement for the press.. just in case they do show.. and have been diligently practicing.. if I fail this time.. I am turning the mike over to Jada and considering myself a lost cause.. but I want to try it one more time.. I have to prove to myself I CAN DO IT... god.. I sound like Tony Little eeeeekkk!!!

17. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    again remember what the wookie said..plan accordingly if your in the bike path for the race.. I know Jake and I are in the path.. and will be leaving home early with any luck.

18. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    Eeek! I'm glad I read that! 8-}

19. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    It was an awesome turn out. Everyone loved the WOOK! (Like always) We had alot of donations, and cans....and we picked some names for gifts.....Cat, Hal and I played some updated Trivial Pursuit, and had a great time...mostly picking on Cat..though..(you know we love you) We have got to have more get togethers more often...I am IN!!!!!

20. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    Yup, it was a fun time for a good cause.

21. Anrev_the_Jedi

Anrev_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2002
    Sorry I didnt get a chance to meet you all there! There was too much going on with my sister in the bike race for me to break away. You all have a really nice city. I hope to visit it again some time. I'm in Yuma now for Turkey day. Thanks again and sorry I missed ya!

22. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    Let us know if you are in town again!

OK, I still need to go thru my pics and get them up. I was . . . distracted [face_plain] the rest of yesterday and today I had church and I've been working on my daughter's Komodo Dragon report with her.

23. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    it was awesome for sure.. we have another box at gamestop waiting for us.. and I will grab that one in the morning.. once I threw in my stuff and one other neighbors stuff we wound up with five full boxes.. plus one from gamestop.. so six total.. I would say we did great!!

24. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    Six boxes! Congrats all around. And thanks to the unknown female who was "hanging out" the car window for us (remember her, Mugen?). She helped "perk up" one's...interest, shall we say!

I'd have made more double-entendres but she looked to be underage. Still, what a view!

25. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    :eek: :oops:

Can't leave you boys alone for a moment. :p

Six boxes, w00t!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.