main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mass October meet

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Darth_Beanie, Sep 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Beanie

Darth_Beanie Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 20, 2008
    Alright folks who is up for a meet.

It has been some time since we got together.

So what weekends work best for eveyone.

I can do the folowing weekends:
    Oct 4th & 5th,
    18th & 19th , and Nov.1st & Nov.2nd.

And second of all what would we like to do?

Let's hear some ideas. :)

2. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    I think getting together would be a great idea. What do people think about going to a quarterly meeting schedule instead of trying to do monthly? We never seem to be able to make the monthly meetings due to family and other obligations. I think people would be more likely to attend if there were only a four meetings a year. With monthly meetings it's easy to miss one and say "it's monthly, I'll just go to the next one". It's not as easy to have that mentality with quarterly meetings.

Super Mega Fest seems like a good place to start, then February, May (anniversary of the release of Star Wars, George Lucas's birthday) and August. Obviously if something came up and we wanted to get together in between meetings we could do that too. I just don't like that we try to set up a meeting and then it doesn't happen or only a few people are able to attend.

To take the pressure off trying to plan for each meeting, it could be fairly standard. I think part of the problem is coming up with an activity that everyone is cool with, and sometimes there's a lot of pressure to come up with something good. We could start low key and work from there. Super Mega Fest and meet at the bar afterward. February is a good time for being inside, maybe Star Wars Trivial Pursuit. A viewing of Star Wars in May to celebrate it's anniversary and a cook out in August.

I think building a routine like that would help to keep the group going well into the future. Having structure will also make it easier when other things come up, like the paintball idea or movies because we'll be seeing each other four times a year in low key settings and get to know each other in person before jumping into activities like that. I know a lot of you know each other, and I've met some of you at the last two SMF, but this would give everyone a chance to talk in a comfortable setting.

Just my two cents. I think this is a great group and there are a lot of new Star Wars developments on the horizon.

3. Darth_Beanie

Mar 20, 2008
    Well how about bi-monthy meets?

That way we could hang out 6 times a year instead of only the 4.

I hope we can get in a meet for October.

We could go over our plans and discuss things face to face for Super Megafest also.

4. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Aug 5, 2004
    We certainly could try and meet every other month. I wanted to start with an attainable number, which is why I suggested quarterly. Based on the last two years I'd say it's probably not realistic to expect that we meet very often, and people have had the best intentions of getting together. A lot of planning and feedback was given to set up the meetings, it's certainly not like the group didn't try, sometimes life just makes you choose your priorities and for most of us it's family, friends, work etc. And not every meeting idea has been scrapped, people from the group have gotten together, it just doesn't seem like it's been too many people, or too often.

Actually it would be good to know how many of the meetings people were able to attend last year? That would be helpful for planning for next year. My gut says even 6 times a year will be a bit more than people are able to commit to.

5. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I am up for an Oct meet. I know I haven't been to a lot of functions of late been very busy with the house, work, and the family. I need to find out what my work schedule will before I commit to anything at this point.

6. WifeofVader

WifeofVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2005
    Hi gang...

Sorry to have disappeared for a bit, my uncle was in his last stages of cancer and did pass on Saturday morning.

Any way, with regard to the meets... I am up for anything you guys decide. I love getting together with everyone - even if it's just a few of us.

As far as monthly, quarterly, every two months, etc. well, I think the problem is that people have a hard time making plans so far in advance.

For example, I know that I am hosting the annual holiday party again this year but, because of my, my son & my daughter's schedules, it's hard to pick a date today and stick to it.

I definitely would like to get together next month. I don't care where but, I was going to suggest it as well to talk SMF and get our ducks in a row for that.

So, it's decided that we want to do something. The question is where and when?

The weekend of the 18-19th works for me as well but, the kids love coming along so as long as it's a kid friendly meeting, I can hook up anytime on the weekends.

7. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Sorry to hear about your family's loss Korey. :( Lots of prayers go out to you all.

8. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    My condolences, K :(

As most of you know, my participation in any meet usually depends on getting a ride to and from it, so as long as I have enough advance notice, I may be fine (depending on if my ride's available).

9. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    I had a thought last night as I was watching the Sox blow away the Rays last night...

October is "Soxtober": Baseball playoff season. How about hanging together somewhere to catch a game or two? Somewhere that we can socialize and watch the games... perhaps somewhere with a buffet?

10. sithkeith1701

sithkeith1701 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2008
    That is an excellent idea!!!

But where?

11. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    Where?

Pinz in Milford...

Of course, there's football on every weekend right now too. We could just get together for football (I'm up for that just about any weekend and usually host the Superbowl party complete with home-made lasagna)!

12. DeathProof

DeathProof Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2007
    y'all pick a date and I would love to try to attend with Nicole and our kids

13. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    Chris said he was available the weekend of the 18th... which means Jim probably is too. I am available that weekend either day.

Anyone else available on the 18th/19th?

14. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    I should be OK on the 19th. I thought the Patriots would be playing that day, but they have a Monday night game against Denver that weekend. Of course, the logistics would have to be worked out, too.

15. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Aug 5, 2004
    Most likely I'm going to be limited to Star Wars related get togethers. I was just thinking how cool it would be to catch a game with my best friend of 25 years, but there just isn't enough time. I'll still be active on the forums and will catch people at Super Mega Fest (assuming they land a SW related guest).

16. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    We have been invited by the MDA to participate in this:

I wanted to pass on a bit more information to see if any members of the Massachusetts Imperial Syndicate might be interested in joining us at another local event we are holding just before Halloween. It?s called the Monster Stride and Ride and will be held on Sunday, October 26th at the Solomon Pond Mall in Marlborough MA. It is a family friendly event with Halloween costumes, face painting, games and other assorted activities. I have attached a brochure with more information.

I've got a flyer as well that I can forward to anyone wishing to see it... just email me if you want to see it. Not sure if this will work but, here's a link to the website...

https://www.mdaevent.org/worcester/monsterstrideandride2008/

17. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    I'd say forward that to Alderaan Base and the NEG, K, but I know the 501st chapters generally favor childhood cancer charities (i.e. the Jimmy Fund).

18. sithkeith1701

Mar 11, 2008
    I believe I will be available for the weekend of the 18th/19th......

19. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    Hi guys, I'm back...

I am available on the 19th (preferably) as something came up for the 18th.

So, where do we want to meet?

20. sithkeith1701

Mar 11, 2008
    Where ever the destination to meet is, I will be there....... :)

21. DeathProof

Apr 8, 2007
    I have my old job back with Friday and Saturday nights off so Sunday would be tough for me but I will make it whenever I can to see you guys and or meet some of you.

22. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    Ok folks, let's decide on the date...

October 18? (I can't make it that night... day is ok.)

October 19?

23. DeathProof

Apr 8, 2007
  24. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
  25. Darth_Beanie

Mar 20, 2008
    I can do the 18th also. :)

Thread Status: