main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary ** OFFICIAL Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo (Peter Mayhew Appearance) Thread! **

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by veritate, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    WHAT: The Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo with special guest Peter Mayhew!

(Visit the link for full details about the expo and who the other guests will be.)

WHEN: Sunday, May 7th, 2006

WHERE: Big Four Building, Stampede Park

WHAT FAN FORCE MEMBERS NEED TO KNOW:

[ul]
    [li]Tosche Station (our Fan Force) has officially been invited to attend this event by the organizers.[/li]
    [li]The Expo has generously donated a table/booth for us, so that we can get some exposure.[/li]
    [li]Echoseven and Lexial have been hard-at-work designing the display for the event, including photos, pamphlets, cards, video of the lightsabre classes, and prop-making displays.[/li]
    [li]We require as many Fan Force volunteers as possible to take shifts at the table. You'd spend your time answering questions, handing out pamphlets, and generally being available for curious passers-by. No one will be "stuck" at the table for the whole time - we will do all we can to rotate the people at the table, so everyone gets a chance to circulate and meet with Mr. Mayhew. (See below for important info on Mr. Mayhew.)[/li]
    [li]If you have a costume, please wear it! There are a limited number of free admissions to the event for Fan Force members in costume.[/li]
    [li]Even if you don't have a costume, we still need you!!! It's important that we demonstrate to the public that people don't NEED costumes to join us! And, non-costumed people are often easier for shy people to approach.[/li]
    [li] [b][color=white]IMPORTANT: Please decide BEFORE FRIDAY, APRIL 14th!! whether or not you can attend, and PM echoseven about it, as echoseven needs to inform the Expo exactly who is coming.[/color][/b] [/li]
    [/ul]

[hr]

IMPORTANT INFO ABOUT PETER MAYHEW:

[ul]
    [li]Mr. Mayhew will not be doing any presentation or speaking at this event.[/li]
    [li]He will, however, be selling autographs ($25.00 each).[/li]
    [li]Due to physical restrictions, [i]Mr. Mayhew will not stand up to take a photo with you.[/i][/li]
    [li]The Fan Force table will be located as close as possible to Mr. Mayhew, to tie us into the whole Star Wars theme.[/li]
    [li]As is traditional with Fan Forces when special guests come to town, we will be making Mr. Mayhew an honorary member of our Fan Force.[/li]
    [li]We will also present him with a special gift... [face_whistling] [/li]
    [/ul]

Watch for more information as we have it available! This will be a huge event for us, and it will be interesting to see how many new members we can recruit from this!

[b][color=white]Finally: Spread the word about this event to your friends, your family, your co-workers, your neighbours, your droids, and your clones![/color][/b] The Expo recognizes the potential of events like this, and the more exposure they get, the more successful they'll become, and the bigger they will grow!

2. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Okay - here's the official attendance list (of costumed members) I sent off to the event co-ordinator:

Echoseven
    Veritate
    Dr. Haggis
    PreludeRM
    MagpieJen
    Jedi_Ranger_007
    Lexial
    Jordain
    Ravencrow666
    Sithatheart
    DarthJaeger

I believe it will be just these named members that will be given passes to the event.

3. Vadersmistress66

Vadersmistress66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2005
  4. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    For those of you who aren't coming in costume, or for those of you who were unable to contact Echoseven before the deadline, here is ticketing information:

Advance tickets are $7.50 at participating retailers:

Redd Skull Comics & Cd's
    720A Edmonton Trail North East
    Calgary, Alberta Canada T2E 3J4
    (403)230-2716

Tickets are $10.00 at the door
    Children under 10 are $1.00 at the door

The web site (link above) had no information about the price of advanced tickets for children.

Once again, I feel it is very important for a few non-costumed members to commit to putting time in at the Fan Force table. We need to convey to the public that our Fan Force isn't an exclusive group of people who HAVE to have Star Wars costumes in order to join. We do lots of other things, too!

Shy people also feel much more comfortable approaching someone in a t-shirt & jeans than someone in full Jedi (or Empire) regalia, because costumes can intimidate some people. We want to be as open and approachable as possible!

Thanks again to Echoseven & Lexial for all your tremendous work you're putting into this project. It's sure to be a smashing success!

5. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Check out theforce.net. I sent them an email about Peter being in calgary. They posted our website and the badlands up for all the SW fans to view.

6. Vadersmistress66

Vadersmistress66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2005
    The Fanforce site looks AMAZING!!! Whoever did that, i just wanted to say that you did a great job!

7. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    Like the new template I found. Yeah I kinda like it myself.

8. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Just got an email from the event co-ordinator for the Expo.

We've been invited to the guest/volunteer dinner on May 6th. This is for ALL members, costumed or not, who will be attending the Expo on Sunday. Details as to time and place are forthcoming.

Please PM me by Thursday (April 27th) if you'd like to attend the dinner. I need to forward the information by then so that appropriate food accomodations can be made.

Thanks.

9. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
  10. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
  11. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    UPDATE: April 25th, 8:53 AM

Just heard back from the co-ordinator. Details as follows:

Saturday, May 6th
    7-7:30 pm
    Coco Brooks Pizza
    640 - 42nd Ave SE
    Dinner will be provided

from the co-ordinator, quote: 'There will be a couple of 'rules' that we'll need everyone to adhere to, but it's fairly minor. Afterwards, we'll be breaking into smaller groups, so whatever goes.'

12. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    Dinner is only 1/2 an hour?

13. RogueNine-

RogueNine- Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2005
    still not sure if im able to go... Its kinda late in the month so am I still allowed to go or is it just that im not registered with the group? thanks

14. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Dinner starts between 7-7:30. I'd say be there at 7, just to be safe.

RogueNine, are you talking about the dinner? You've still got tomorrow to let me know if you can attend.
    As for the Expo, as I've already sent the list in, it's too late to get a pass into the event. But you're more than welcome to come (in costume or not) - you'd just have to pay the admission fee.

15. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Okay, so far only the following people are on the list for the dinner May 6th:

echosevin
    PreludeRM
    Dr. Haggis
    Veritate
    Jedi_Ranger_007
    Dooks
    Dooks' bro
    Boba Jay

Deadline is tomorrow, so let me know if you're in.

16. BFett333

BFett333 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2003
    FYI folks....I don't know if this is something you already know or if it's something you might want to look in to. We (the 501st) were just given our "duties" so to speak and it was mentioned in that email that we had a table and that the Edmonton and Calgary Fan Force are sharing a booth. I just thought I'd mention it.

17. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    That's news to me. We've been planning our own table and it's pretty full. I'll have to contact the co-ordinator and check.

18. BFett333

BFett333 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2003
    That's kind of what I thought. I'll give the Edmonton folks the heads up too.

19. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    we knew nothing about it so weren't planning to bring anything or have a table so don't worry about it, not sure what he might be talking about :)

20. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Okay - I don't have to re-evaluate our plan. Whew!

That being said, Prelude and Jedi_Ranger_007 expressed an interest in showcasing some of their homemade blades and hilts (which is a great idea!). If you have something SW related that you've made (ie art) that you'd like to have on the table, let us know. We do have some room left (not much) but we'll try to accomodate you as best we can. If you are thinking of showing something, be sure to include a card with your name, that we can place with the item.

Thanks.

21. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Deadline for dinner has come and gone. Here's are the final list of people confirmed for that night:

echosevin
    PreludeRM
    Dr. Haggis
    Vertitate
    Dooks
    Dooks' bro
    Boba Jay
    Jedi_Ranger_007
    Vadermistress666
    Lexial

I will PM each of you with the aforementioned 'rules' for the evening.

22. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    About lightsabers on display......

The one that seems most popular, with the EL grip & EL blade, I will leave on display. I will also try to get the "prongs" reglued on my "gold" hilt (with purple EL blade), and I'll probably pick my leather-wrapped LED hilt, to display also. Is that okay? Too many lightsabers?

I will have my first EL hilt "on me" and also my newest LED hilt in hand/belt, if people want to see either of those.

I will also whip up some "display cards". Heck, maybe even some contact cards.

I have some plastic display stands that I need to mod, and they should make great hilt stands.

PreludeRM - I think I have enough (stands) that you could probably borrow 1 or 2 display stands also, if you want, and IF I get them done in time. I probably will, as I'm finished upgrading my friend's lightsaber, now.

Anything else?

23. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    sounds good I was thinking of bringing 2 or 3 and some parts to show the raw material used and how easy it really is to build a saber. Maybe bring some wiper blades too. lol

24. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Sounds great guys. The table is going to stop traffic :)

25. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    Oh yeah, that's what else I was going to do. Either print out some pics, or bring some items, that I use for construction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.