main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series *Official * General Grievous in TCW Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TheTelmarine, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Because the more the merrier.

Well anyway it looks like there's a decent amount of discussion here, so would it be possible to merge this with the other Grievous thread?

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    He got defeated by Ventress in Massacre, how was he amazing?

3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    We got a GG thread. I'm gonna merge this thread in there.

Heh... wish I could see the Young Jedi movie. It looks like Grievous might have done something to marginally improve his credibility by really messing up Hondo and Florrum.

cwustudent likes this.
  4. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    [face_hypnotized]

Please tell me you are messing with me...

5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Why is it so hard to accept that General Grievous is a threat to a Force user?

6. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Because he cannot use the Force. [face_idea]

Spazmatron and ArrogantJedi like this.
  7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Sorry to disappoint you, but a Force user is not required to combat another Force user, not with Grievous' agility and unorthodox approach to lightsaber combat.

8. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I find your lack of faith disturbing. The ability to twirl many lightsabers simultaneously is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

9. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    He's a master in all lightsaber forms, Tarkas. Stop overlooking that because it doesn't support your point.

Super_Battle_Droid and Zeta1127 like this.
  10. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I do not accept that use of a lightsaber can be mastered by someone who cannot use the Force the way it can for a Force-user.

Do not underestimate the Force.

Spazmatron and ArrogantJedi like this.
  11. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Grievous is a huge threat to Force users. That's why he keeps killing them, on screen and off.

Super_Battle_Droid likes this.
  12. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Canonically, he's still a huge threat to them and has a higher jedi kill count than anyone in this era, save maybe Vader himself.

Problem is we never see those Jedi deaths. Onscreen we've seen maybe a total of 5, with the rest ending up as either injuries, or being retconned into revivals.

He kills 4 jedi in the microseries, and only one so far in TCW. He's killed dozens more off-screen in either comics or novels.

I'm not bothered by the fact that he's sometimes a bumbling fool. I'm bothered by the fact that he has only ONCE been shown to be a jedi killer on-screen. Savage Oppress kills more Jedi than he does in this show. Fix that, and I may just stop complaining.

Paparazzo, jackg1 and Zeta1127 like this.
  13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Durge got higher count than him because he's a bounty hunter and GG needs to command his army.

14. DavidIX

DavidIX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    He wasn't amazing by any stretch but it was a respectable showing; better than usual anyways. I also disagree that ventress defeated Grievous, she had the upper hand for an instant that's about all I got out of it. Losing a limb for Grievous is nothing, He's proved it many times. Him ordering his droids to kill Ventress just fits into his personality( GL depiction of him anyways). In all honesty, Ventress would of been killed by Grievous there if it wasn't for the Witch zombies.

With all that said..Even if some believe ventress won that fight. I'm fine with that, she's a tough tough assasin. And last I checked, Sidious himself felt threatened by her growing power. She's fought against multiple jedi at the same time and faired well. No shame in losing a duel battle to her.

15. DavidIX

DavidIX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Grievous can Duel with the best of the Jedi order. That's a little more than just twirling lightsabers in circles like some would like to believe. He's been shown to adapt to opponents styles and adjust and counter their style. Stop acting like grievous doesn't have any skill.

I guess the Shadow Warriors and this Show have really made Grievous into a lightsaber twirler..Dispicable, I spit to the notion!!

Zeta1127 and Super_Battle_Droid like this.
  16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    In the comic GG kicked both her and Durge's ass.

17. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    I just hope we see Grievous kill more Jedi in the series before it's over with.

DavidIX likes this.
  18. KeltheDor

KeltheDor Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 21, 2011
    I sort of wish people would stop using the original Clone Wars series as some sort of way of judging the character. Grievous like every other character in that series is an exaggeration. While it's great and very fun to watch, that doesn't necessarily represent the version of the character that fits with the rest of the canon. Would I love for Grievous to be as deadly as he was in the original series? Sure. But that's not the way the character is really intended to be viewed by the universe. It's just unfortunate in that unlike characters like Yoda or Mace Windu, the micro series was our first introduction to the character.

That being said, it would still be nice to see Grievous become more of a threat.

19. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Agreed, if that was the case, then it was stupid and OOC to not have Mace in AoTC to take on all the droids in the arena, and those bugs, all by himself and win.

But im glad we didn't Get God Mace in AoTC or RoTS who can just destroy droids by punching them.

So im also glad we don't have God Grievous in TCW.

I wonder, if Mace Windu in TCW was like his microseries self, i wonder how that would have affected the series.

20. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Stop calling it that. Because taking on exhausted opponents surviving a ship crashing isn't overpowered, it's being competent

Zeta1127 likes this.
  21. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'll agree to the micro-series' version of General Grievous being overpowered. Honestly, it's kind of ridiculous to claim otherwise. Everyone was overpowered. It was the stylist choice for the show. Every single character that wasn't designed specifically for death was on their absolute A-game from start to finish. When you have a time allotment of close to just five minutes for an episode, concessions like that need to be made.

However, just as I don't expect Obi-Wan to be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound once he's taken out of this hyper-expressive form of media, I would like a more realistic translation of Grievous' skills. Multiple books managed to do this correctly, notably Labyrinth of Evil. I really don't get that with the version of the character we see on screen in TCW, though. It's as if they attempted to balance the micro-series too hard, and he ends up stewing in lots of badass boasts but little in the way of genuine competence.

Grievous was conceived to be the anti-Anakin. Whereas Anakin becomes a legendary hero over the course of the war, Grievous is the icon of evil. It was acknowledged in-universe that when Anakin and Obi-Wan showed up, the day was won for the Republic. When Grievous appeared, everyone died. That was pretty awesome back in the day. He was a legitimately scary presence. I don't get that from TCW. It's like, "Oh hey, Grievous again. I won't if he's gonna fight Obi-Wan today with another ROTS reference." He doesn't mean anything anymore.

The opening reel for Revival was excellent, in that we get to see Savage and Maul taking down actual Jedi. They hold their own for a bit, but they die. Brutally. It's character establishing. Grievous has none of that. He got Nahdar and just Nahdar. I'd be happy if they just took a handful of Jedi bodies, threw some different heads on them to make a bunch of new characters, and send them to the Grievous meatgrinder. It would at least give Grievous the credibility that it takes the skills of Council members like Obi-Wan, Kit, and Adi to defeat him. No, Ahsoka doesn't count, she stalled and ran. Tarpals was a suicide gambit, so I give Grievous a little credit on that one, too. But if he could kill even a handful of no-name five-minute Jedi who are badass by way of exposition, then I'd forgive Grievous' lesser moments.

22. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I've given you examples which support bad-ass Grievous, see:

Zeta1127 and Super_Battle_Droid like this.
  23. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    I hope they don't kill Pablo-Jill off in the series and it not be by Grievous.

24. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Millions of droids joined that battle in AotC.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/First_Battle_of_Geonosis

25. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way Grievous was depicted in the miniseries. He was designed to be just that, an assassin and commander who is on his A-game in most cases.

Also, some of the other ways the battles were depicted in the minseries were actually quite tactically sound. Mace Windu using the force to reinforce his punches? Repelling broken sharp droid parts into other droids? That's now overpowered, that's sound and clever use of force abilities. About the only shots that are truly overpowered are those in which he knocks down the entire surrounding droid force with a single push. Everything else is reasonably possible for one of the most skilled Jedi Masters being depicted in their A-Game.

Granted, the fact that either Mace or Grievous were that talented in these particular scenarios does not mean I expect them to be that resourceful at all times. Frankly, both characters remain quite fast paced and menacing in combat even in other depictions of them. Mace Windu doesn't tear up the room in Ep III's battle against Sidious because he doesn't need to. He beat Sidious on his own and only died because he was blindsided. Grievous usually battles Obi-wan or other Jedi quite competently in the series, aside from the loss of an occasional limb. The problem again returns to the fact that we rarely see him kill Jedi, something he is canonically explained to be quite proficient at. If he wasn't, why make him a character who was famed for his lightsaber collection? It wasn't just the microseries that labeled him a jedi killer. We were told he was one from the beginning when we first learned of the character in RoTS preview material. Canonically, I'm sure he still 'is' a Jedi killer.

I just want to see it on screen more often. I don't care if Obi-wan can beat him in a duel. Obi-wan, Mace, Ventress, Anakin and Kit Fisto are all worthy opponents and talented force users. I expect them to give him a challenge. But most lesser Jedi are not anywhere near his skill. His failings in TCW are still meant to be the exception more than the norm. Just start showing us that norm for a change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.