main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series *Official * General Grievous in TCW Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TheTelmarine, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    I like how Grievous made up for his previous defeats in Lair of Grievous, but in Grievous Intrigue he made an error leaving Eeth Koth alive thinking that TV-94 and the other droids would get the better of Anakin, unless he never wanted Eeth Koth to be killed... I think he was done quite well in S3 even though he wasn't on a lot, on Kamino it was Ventress that failed more. In Shadow Warrior they did not make him look like a good strategist and in Nomad Droids it was similar to Grievous Intrigue where he didn't kill Eeth Koth. In Massacre he was done well and that has continued to happen this season. I liked how he laughed on his last scene on A Necesary Bond, it made it more clear that it was a win for him. Although Grievous did kill a Jedi in Lair of Grievous I still want to see him kill at least one Jedi on TCW and actually keep his/her lightsaber.

2. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I liked how Grievous was handled in the Young Jedi arc probably as much as anything else in the series, if not, more so. He's not so hot confronting those who can use the Force, but anyone else he tears through. Some of those moments fighting clones could be his most vicious of the series. Though I did think it was really dumb how he was laughing so hard as Ahsoka and Hondo got away, as if he had won when that was so clearly not the case. I'm glad they had Ahsoka struggle against him more than more developed Jedi and she managed to just get away rather than defeating him (like how when fighting Jedi Knights and Masters he does the same, so a bit of role reversal there).

3. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    He sure was done better than in the past and was made more menacing. Especially when he was charging the kids and Ahsoka after the chase in the canyon.

4. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    In Lair of Grievous, Dooku said "There is room for improvement." I wonder if they'll ever follow that up with Dooku training GG in the series..

5. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I hope so, if for no other reason than to make that line in his confrontation with General Kenobi less awkward in Ep. III.

6. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
  7. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm still a little lost at how Dooku can be put off by Anakin's mechanical hand and yet turn around and train a non-Force sensitive abomination like Grievous. Also would seem to me that if Dooku can train someone like Grievous to destroy Jedi and show that those that have spent their life training in the Force that they can be overpowered by some guy that traded his body for a metallic skeleton and spinning wrists, it would just be a mockery to everyone that follows the Force, Sith included. That Grievous would still be largely fall short in his fights with Force users (as it has been) makes more sense to me.

I don't have much of a problem with his swordsmanship, but rather just how even as a strategist and military leader he is not depicted as being particularly smart and is more of a brute with no measurable aptitude for military leadership.

I wonder if they'll ever actually address Grievous' line about being trained by Dooku in TCW, and why Dooku, at this point in the war, would suddenly decide to take on training someone whose existence just seems like it would be an insult to everything that Dooku believes.

The Sith are never depicted as being so forgiving, yet Grievous is pardoned for failure after failure. And when it comes to the notion of trying to set Grievous up as a scapegoat for the war, he's never depicted as doing anything particularly heinous (or having any kind of success in general), nor depicted as acting independently of Dooku's authority.

He just hasn't had the most coherent or consistent representation IMO. I agree with TCW and ROTS' decision to scale back his power and make him more of a frustrated warrior struggling to prove himself to the Jedi and Sith, and gave up his body in the vain obsession to surpass them all. rather than being some mechanical super-man. But beyond that, the ball just got dropped with the character IMO, and it doesn't help that they keep tip-toeing around Grievous' back story and what really drives the character. They can adopt the EU story, or go their own way, and while some might be angry if they contradicted the EU, I don't think they're doing anyone any favors from keeping the character so shallow and one dimensional by trying to please everyone.

QuangoFett and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  8. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really DO!

Grievous being trained by Dooku would explain why Grievous got quite better than in S1 or S2 in terms of fighting.

Poetry! Pure poetry!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  9. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I think it would be great to see Dooku training Grevious. I thought maybe he is getting better because training is still on going for him. It would be interesting to see a brutal round of training from Dooku.

10. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I think it would still be awkward for Grievous to mention his training in ROTS, if he's already undergone training (and lost). And his training doesn't exactly seem to help him in ROTS, as Obi-Wan fairs better there than he does in his TCW encounters, and Grievous doesn't really fight any different in ROTS than he does in TCW. I think the bit about training will just remain an awkward line. I think Dooku has already been training Grievous (and probably trained him to use lightsabers from the very beginning), and that we just have to live with Grievous awkwardly not mentioning this until ROTS. It was relevant to mention that in ROTS since that was going to be the first and last time that Obi-Wan fought Grievous on screen before Lucas decided to instead go back and have them fight over and over in TCW.

The awkwardness of the line I think is just a by product of Lucas deciding to go back and do a TCW show after the fact. The most consistent way to deal with it would be for Lucas to remove the line from the ROTS 3D release. Because it's just awkward if Dooku doesn't train Grievous until the very end of the war, only for Grievous to fight exactly the same despite being trained, and fairing worse than he had prior to being trained.

Dooku: You must have fear, surprise and intimidation on your side.
    *Grievous vs. Obi-Wan checklist*

Fear - Negative
    Surprise - Negative
    Intimidation - Kind of goes hand-in-hand with fear. I'd say negative.

Dooku: ...For if any one of these is lacking, it would be best to run.

Grievous: All three are lacking? Don't worry, I got this. (Not the most intelligent character and a perfect example about how Dooku's training prior to that "final operation" led to zero improvement).

We know how Grievous fights in ROTS. So if TCW were to re-imagine how Grievous fights, it still wouldn't make sense for him to fight like:

but rather like:

I.E. more of the same (and oddly worse than he does in TCW).

It. Would. Not. Make. Sense.

If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit.

Just another instance in which TCW is restrained in what it can do since it's boxed in by AOTC and ROTS.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  11. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Editing the line out in the next version of the film wouldn't be such a bad idea, also, it might work to just add in a few new CGI sequences with some fancy moves not seen in TCW or the original Ep. III.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  12. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    Might as well remove Grievous' line to Anakin on the Invisible Hand too. There's a lot of lines that should be changed or removed in the PT IMO.

13. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Me too, for example, all of Ep. II.

[face_laugh]

TaradosGon and KenobiSkywalker like this.
  14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I think it makes perfect sense that Grievous would still recieve training from Dooku and thus the line could still make sense in ROTS. Training is often times continuous, not oh your done training now. It particularly works with how Grievous has gotten more effective lately all though he still isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. He didn't look particularly cook letting himself get shot up by Slave I.

15. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    ...and then laughing maniacally at his own failure as if he thought he'd won.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  16. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    Even though he technically did run them off. His tanks won for him.

QuangoFett likes this.
  17. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I was under the impression that he was trying to actually defeat Ahsoka and then stop them from getting away, and failed miserably at both tasks. You were under the impression that he wanted them to get away? Why was he chasing them and shooting them as they fled, then? [face_thinking]

CT-867-5309 and Seerow like this.
  18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Rofl. He ran them off but he still looked stupid maniacly laughing as he was being shot to hell even if he did win the way. Dude, you don't laugh like you've one if your enemy points a huge gun in your face as they take off. That's be a Darwin award for anyone without a plot shield.

19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Unless someone can explain that to me, I think it's the worst moment of a pretty good arc. "I'm a dismal failure! Bwahahahaha!"

CT-867-5309 and Seerow like this.
  20. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I would think that reporting a failure to Dooku should be an intimidating thing, since the dude's a Sith Lord and Grievous sucks at his job. Grievous doesn't seem to mind though. The man loves what he does, and that makes him a winner no matter what. Plus it just seems like failing Dooku and Sidious is without consequences. Seems like the senate should go back to elections and end the state of emergency, because Grievous is nothing to worry about. [face_plain]

With Grievous, every mission is the Kobayashi Maru, only with less crafty solutions and more running to the escape pods.

Grievous just failed another mission and destroyed another billion credit dreadnought? Don't worry about it.

Seerow likes this.
  21. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    I wasn't being serious in that comment. :p

But, I think he lost the battle and won the war so speak. He still destroyed Hondo's base and took over the planet, he just didn't kill Hondo or the Jedi. Obi-Wan also escaped, but that still counted as a victory for GG.

Did he look pathetic yelling at Slave I? Yes. That'll be another cringe-worthy moment to add to the collection. Though technically they didn't defeat GG - they just escaped. :p

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  22. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Grievous technically didn't lose completely in the Young Jedi arc. Its just that Hondo and Ahsoka both escaped and made him look dumb as hell at the end there. I mean it wouldn't have looked so bad if he wasn't laughing at Slave I. He did destroy Hondo's base which was probably really damaging to his empire. Still destroying a pirate base doesn't seem like much of an accomplishment. Dooku was pretty brutal in season 1 about the failures. I guess its just part of the plan now however.

23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    LOL!

This would have made hilarious dialogue, I'm all for changing it for the special editions.

24. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
  25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    They could turn it into an emotional breakdown for Grievous. He just shouts that he's a failure, laughs maniacally and then breaks down into tears.

Reminds me of Jim Carrey blurting out "I'M A BAD FATHER!" in Liar, Liar.

Couldn't find a vid of that on youtube, but I found this:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.