main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official *** I've seen the movie, here are my thoughts**** thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Missninfan, May 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    Anyone know what happened to all the speculation of music that was supposed to be in the bar scene?

2. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Ultimately this movie was fun but very, very dissappointing.

I couldn't believe how shabby some fo the editing was, and I hated how much of the music was directly lifted from episode 1 (why do the clones march to the TF droid theme??)

The action
    acting
    special fx
    digital filming
    the clones
    Anakins confession

Dislikes
    -The end dual, while fun, was very very pointless, Dooku's revelation should have been saved for here, and Anakin losing his arm should have been played up more
    -Naboo. Every scen on Naboo sucked. They were all completely pointless. Anakin should have been flying Padme back to Naboo, had a vision of his mother and detoured to Tatooine.
    -Owen + Beru: I looked forward to them so much, and were barely a cameo
    -Dooku/the seperatist; Because half his scenes were cut, he never really makes it as a cool villan. Great actor gone to waste
    -the dialogue. 99% terrible and over written.
    -the politics: so much of this stuff was cut that the movie barely remains plausable politically, and is very incoherent at times
    -Jango sucked
    -not enough jar jar
    -Not enough Palpatine
    -C3P0 now seems like a parody of C3p0
    -Star wars now seems like a parody of star wars

My new score board:

ESB
    TPM
    ROTJ
    ANH
    AOTC

AOTC actually did soemthing i thought was impossibel, it made me lose my excitement to see Ep3 :(

3. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    I really liked this film with the notable exception of the roamance dialogue. The dialogue between Padme and Anakin on Naboo was just painful. I also find that Portman's performance as Padme was very stiff.

4. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    Rebel Scumb

You seem genuinely heartbroken over AOTC. I found reading your post rather depressing. If I had your reaction to this film, I would not be very enthusiastic for Episode III either.

5. augusto

augusto Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    Wow, somebody scored TPM over all other Star Wars movies. Just when you though, you've seen it all ... :)

6. Darth_Puck

Darth_Puck Jedi Master

Jul 23, 2001
    The more I think about this movie the more I dislike it. Did I think it was as bad as Phantom Menace? No, not by a long shot. Lets face it - in AOTC, the dialogue was horrid, the romance scenes were pointless and there was an over-reliance on CGI. I hear the exact same criticism's from just about everyone else who's seen the movie.

Dialogue: The argument that the dialogue in the OT was just as bad is a red herring, pure and simple. I would argue that the dialogue is not only better in the OT, but it is more serious and well executed. The actors in the PT are all excellent actors. Actors need to be coached and told what to do, however, not unlike a pro athlete. The coach bring out the best in an athlete and create winning teams. George Lucas is not a good "coach" or director. He's wasting the A-list talent he's assembled for these movies by giving them crappy lines and OK'ing them. I was excited when Lucas announced he was brining in a co-writer for AOTC. After seeing the movie, I realized that this was simply self-selection. Anyone who differed significantly from his style or ideas was likely dismissed. In essence, a Lucas clone was working alongside the Lucas

Romance: Anakin and Padme falling in love is obviously central to the PT and needs to be told. Unfortunately, Lucas couldn't pull it off. The dialogue is just painful and laughable. The speed at which they fall for each other is completely unbelievable.

Humor: humor for humors sake absolutely blows. I thought the whole C3PO incident in the factory was awful and found myself longing for Jar-Jar's retarded antics. The humor in the OT was smart (for the most part), sometimes subtle and woven into the dialogue and storyline. I'm not saying that every joke in the OT was great but the humor worked most of the time. In AOTC, when 3PO tells R2 that he understands human behavior, I laughed. It's a great reference back to ESB when 3PO complains that he doesn't understand human behavior. When 3PO says things like "Die Jedi Dogs" (or something like that) or "What a drag", I groan. A little effort for God's sake.

What tears me up is that this movie could have been soooo damn good. All the elements are there but it comes off as if it were thrown together in a matter of months, not something that was meticulously planned over the course of three years. I feel like there was a big juicy steak ready to be served. It couldn't all fit on one plate so it needed to be cut down. That's just fine but the best part was tossed and the grizzle was served.

Regardless, I'm still hopeful for Episode III.

7. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    -not enough jar jar

mmmkay.

8. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Not my thoughts on the film per se but that of a friend who, persuaded by my gushing for the last three weeks, finally saw AOTC. She admitted that she loved the OT but thought that AOTC was "just rubbish" and "even worse than TPM". After counting under my breath to 20, I asked her for her reasons and basically, she hadn't seen the OT for about a decade and a half, had forgotton that Luke and Leia were related (though relevance to AOTC perhaps obtuse), and was fairly confused about who Palpy was. With my friendly explanations - ie bout Palpy, the republic etc, she (somewhat to my surprise), asked to borrow my OT videos to watch again and said that she would have to see AOTC a second time :)

Bottom line - I'm a selfish person and am glad that AOTC had those little details (and the big ones) that only those of us caring about the SW story would get. I like the sense that this film was made for us, not the general public (unlike certain other films not to be mentioned on a SW message board!). I wonder though, whether re-releasing ALL of the other SW films for a week or so before the new prequel, would have helped dispel confusion amongst the "unenlightened"!

9. The Butler

The Butler Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 1999
    Hm...I came out of the theater entirely in love with Hayden's Anakin and AOTC. The romance dialogue worked for me, but I've always been a gushing romantic. Perhaps modern audiences, fashionably cynical and all, dismiss the love story as corny because they want everyone to be as cool and sarcastic as Han Solo. Well, my hope is that a decade or so from now, fashions will change. Hey, maybe flowery prose and sentimentality will come back in style--the Victorians were pretty maudlin for almost a century.

10. Darth_Puck

Darth_Puck Jedi Master

Jul 23, 2001
    I love flowery prose and romance as well. It's just very difficult to pull off in my opinion. I don't buy the cynical audience argument.

11. Darth_Top_Hat

Darth_Top_Hat Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2001
    I enjoyed the movie verymuch.

The love story, the action, the pacing.
    The better focus on human drama and not letting CGI stuff overwhelm the story.

Loved Mace Windu: "I don't think so" and watching him kick some butt.

Jango, Obi Wan.

I like Anakin. He is a nice guy, albeit troubled, impatient with authority, etc.

Liked seeing another side of Padme, that is, not just what she does, but her emotions and personality.

Yoda, of course is da man. He's like Ghandi, even though he walks with a cane, he is strong and determined, and has the heart of a lion.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  12. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    Me too. I liked that too. :) The whole movie rocked. and Im a bit disppointed that other's thought it sucked. your wrong. :D

13. prof_frink

prof_frink Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 1, 1999
    ) There are some inconsistencies with the other movies already developing. The whole Anaking-created-C3PO thing is TOTALLY GAY. I thought the whole Tatooine thing was gay.

Darth Ept, are you a homo-phobe or something? Your liberal use of the word 'gay' is quite disturbing...

I'm not going to post a diatribe to say why I loved this movie - but I will say this - if you did not enjoy this movie, you are either:

A. Not a Star Wars fan
    B. Looking for reasons not to like this movie.

14. classixboy

classixboy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    I know this isn't exactly the place for this sort of thing, but ...

I'm glad someone else posted about the "liberal use of the word 'gay'" as a derogatory term. If someone were to substitute "Jewish" or "black" for the word "gay" in DarthEpt's above post, then people would be up in arms demanding censure. It is disturbing that anti-gay rhetoric is tolerated around here and that being anti-gay is one of the last acceptable prejudices in our culture.

AOTC is great, btw.

15. Jedi-Hosinsul

Jedi-Hosinsul Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    I personally loved this movie. Overall I would rate it at around 4.5 out of 5 stars. That rating has it sitting in my second all time SW spot of:

ESB
    AOTC
    ANH
    ROTJ
    TPM

16. Blue_Viper

Blue_Viper Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2001
    I've seen AOTC 3 times and think it was great. I'll just add the thoughts of my wife and brother, the two people I've seen it with.

1st time (with wife): She is not a star wars fan. She has seen ANH once a long time ago. She went into this movie knowing what I told her to set it up. She doesn't care much for sci-fi. Verdict: She liked it. She liked Jar-Jar. I had to explain a bit about Palpatine and the Republic, and a few other things, but then she got the gist of it. She said she wanted to see it again.

2nd time: went solo

3rd time (with brother): Star Wars fan. Waited in line with me for the SEs and TPM. Was a big fan with me when we were kids, but just slightly below me now. He didn't know anything about AOTC, except a little bit of the jedi battle at the end. Verdict: He thought it was awesome. I thought he might get confused a bit about the plot, but when we left the theater, he was saying, "Man, that rocked! At first, I thought Dooku was fairly good, then it turned out he was on the dark side! And it's weird how Palpatine and the dark side are using the droids and the clone army against each other, even though it's all planned! And Yoda kicks butt!" He was totally floored. When he was going back to his car, and I was going to mine, he said "Hey....when you go see AOTC again, let me know, so I can go too."

I know he would have to see it again. :)

17. JBFett

JBFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    just came back from number 7....

I love this movie dearly

and frink I agree with your thinking. AOTC is a movie FOR the fans. If you didnt like it, all I can say is, well it sucks to be you. It really does. In 20 years time you will probably figure out how brilliant it is when you see it through Lucas's eyes. Thats how long it will take for 1-3 to be considered classics as the OT has.

people hold the OT so high that they refuse to allow a PT movie to touch it. face it, the OT has faults, and they are consistent with the faults of the PT...thats the way it is. When we all realize this, we will all love star wars, all of them together in harmony.

My 2 cents at least :D

18. jedi4500

jedi4500 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    I just seen AOTC for the second time, i liked it even more...

2 tickets:eek:ne adult, one child=$15.00
    popcorn from the deli= 50cents
    the look on my daughter's face when she saw yoda coming with the clonetroopers=Priceless!!

19. JediHPDrummer

JediHPDrummer Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    Hey guys, i found a quote from some critic, i now critics are lame but what this guy said really really got me. And it's happened to me before. Here's the quote "Anyone can find flaws with a film. From "Gone With The Wind" to "Schindler?s List," if you enter the film with skepticism you can pick any narrative apart. In the case of "Episode II," it is Lucas? continued imagination that makes it all click"

I've done this before, my girlfriend rented a movie called bridget jones diary and i felt annoyed and i was being really skeptickal about the movie because i didnt really want to watch it. Then a month later, i watch it in my film class and with a different perspective. And i loved it! I gave it a chance, i didnt become all skeptical.

I think thats a big problem with star wars movie goers. They are so critical, its like havent you seen other movies. All my favorite movies such as Saving private ryan, braveheart, indiana jones and schindlers list have bad things in it. IT has problems too. Going to a movie is supposed to make you have a good entertaining time. And some people expect freakin Citizen Kane out of Star Wars. IT's stupid, i mean look at the OT. I mean really is the dialouge and the acting that different. Seriously

The PT is a totally different time, some people dont understand that. The Jedi are supposed to be very religious in a way. They are not han solo. Some smuggler, yeh han was a spotlight, but this is the PT! for the love of god, its more of a civilized time. AOTC plot is so complex, and great. I want to see what star wars some fans will make. HAHA

AOTC does have problems but really any movie does, let me go back to the quote "Anyone can find flaws with a film. From "Gone With The Wind" to "Schindler?s List," if you enter the film with skepticism you can pick any narrative apart. In the case of "Episode II," it is Lucas? continued imagination that makes it all click"

is AOTC really that freaking bad as some people say. I mean really? Go have some fun!

20. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Well put, HPDrummer.

And I must say, to this...: I thought the whole Tatooine thing was gay.

[face_laugh] You're kidding me, right? Even the people I know who loathed the rest of the movie (which are few and far between) appreciated everything on Tatooine. What is there to dislike about this part of the movie!?

/looks to the sky

I don't understaaaaaaaand!

21. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Well as my thoughts have probably already been covered by many others here already. ;)

I love this film. The idea of Palpatine setting up both sides to start a war to get himself into power... it's just pure genious. That and "little" scenes like the Lars' Homestead or Anakin conversing with Palpatine on Coruscant. That stuff is just great, it's what sets it apart from TPM because it ties the trilogy together.

BTW, I have read some criticisms about references to the OT in AOTC, along the lines which state that AOTC as "a work of art shouldn't need (homages/references)if AOTC is to stand up by itself." Good Lord, Lucas realized that if it wasn't for ANH he wouldn't be making this film and little homages to other Star Wars films, esp. ESB and ANH, which came before AOTC is merely a subtle way of this film saying "thank you" to the original films.

I think there wasn't enough of this in TPM, and the use of lines like "Why do I have the feeling you are going to be the death of me?" (if you didn't laugh at that line, I feel very sorry for you :( ) and Jedi Mind Trick jokes can only help the film IMHO.

22. Oyster

Oyster Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2002
    Darth_Ept is a moron.

23. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    The more I see this movie the more I like it... it is slowly taking over the #20 spot on my all time favorite movies list.

RB

24. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Well, I thought this was funny - this is my friend QE's comment regarding E2, and backlash:

"Poor, puny, pathetic, pitiful, playa-haters; this was the best movie of all the Star Wars movies."

:D

25. JediHPDrummer

JediHPDrummer Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 23, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.