main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Official Jazz and Blues Appreciation Thread (was: JCC, I need your infinite wisdom)

Discussion in 'Community' started by LandoSystem1138, Sep 21, 2009.

1. LandoSystem1138

LandoSystem1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2005
    I've developed a taste for jazz and blues over the summer, but have no clue of any singers/bands/musicians/etc to look up and sample. So just toss out some names and go nuts. I'd Google it, but meh, this is more fun.

2. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    Sweet Ray-Ray Valentine is the best jazz saxophonist you'll ever hear.

3. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm gonna creep inside you like a warm kitten!
    [image=http://s.bebo.com/app-image/5454818995/5418817587/PROFILE/bombsite.org/facebook/gallery/boosh/jazz.jpg]

4. Angel_Jedi_Master

Angel_Jedi_Master Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 18, 2002
    JOHN ZORN!!!

Pick up Naked City for free jazz meets grindcore, and The Dreamers for some relaxed avant-jazz.

Also pick up Machine Gun by Peter Brotzmann, and my favorite jazz album ever, Out to Lunch! by Eric Dolphy. If you want jazz-fusion, go with Hot Rats by Frank Zappa or Bitches Brew by Miles Davis (an obvious choice, I know. :( ) Also, check out Sun Ra!

I'm not as familiar with blues music (and considering what little I know about jazz, that's pretty sad), but Son House and Blind Willie McTell are cool. Jandek has some (weird) bluesey albums, like Follow Your Footsteps.

Isotope217 likes this.
  5. Crash_Davis

Crash_Davis Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2006
    Robert Johnson

[image=http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q45/rlj_07/d45efcdb.jpg]

Thread over.

6. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    [image=http://www.ugo.com/movies/bands-on-film/images/entries/modal-nodes.jpg]

7. twilightjedi0622

twilightjedi0622 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 7, 2004
    Eric Clapton

8. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    To add to what's already here, for jazz anyways:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out

Buddy Rich Big Band - Mercy Mercy

Pat Metheny Group - The Way Up

9. Ninja_Jedi

Ninja_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    "JCC, I need your infinite wisdom."

I definitely had to read this thread to see the ensuing insanity and train wreck.

Thank you for not letting me down.

10. Serafine_Tinaste

Serafine_Tinaste Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2009
    Jazz is a little bit of a broad subject. But here we go:

Duke Ellington or Count Basie if you're looking for swing.
    Don Cherry's "Complete Communion" is a great avant-garde album.
    Perez Prado is currently my favorite. I love mambo. You've probably heard Mambo No. 8 from the opening of "Office Space".
    I also highly recommend Dizzy Gillespie if you want some bebop.
    Can't go wrong with Miles Davis' "Birth of the Cool".
    If you want to hear a fantastic bassist, go with Jaco Pastorius.
    Then of course there is Thelonious Monk.
    And I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't mention Ella Fitzgerald.
    As far as the blues go, Muddy Waters and BB King.

That's probably a good start. I love jazz. [face_love]

11. CucumberBoy

CucumberBoy Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 11, 2007
    Miles Davis has already been brought up, but it should be reiterated how great he is. My favourite album is Get Up With It, which is more jazz fusion, really, but who knows - you might like it. When it comes to Miles, my suggestion is to find a few albums, or at least one, that you really like - and then check out some of his stuff that were produced in that same era. Kind of Blue might be the most famous jazz album of all time, and some good albums in a similar style are Milestones, and... let's say Sketches of Spain. But Kind of blue is amazing and kind of a must. So definitely chek that out.

Check out some other classic old-timers. John Coltrane, Dave Brubeck, Thelonius Monk, Charles Mingus, Sonny Rollins.

Grooveshark is a great way to find new music.

This is going to sound clichéd, but Jazz really is a hundred times better live. It definitely works on your mp3-player or your stereo, but it's a completely different experience to go to a jazz club. I suggest you try to ask people you know who are really into jazz if they know any hidden gems in your area, because they're usually more enjoyable than the big jazz clubs.

12. Carlo_Ancelotti

Carlo_Ancelotti Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 3, 2009
    Jeffrey Townes.

13. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Jean Luc Ponty - Cosmic Messenger 2001

This is very old Jazz/New Age fussion; it's slow but give it a chance and allow
    for the amateur video clip. If you hate the music, love the film.

You asked for infantile wisdom, right?

Isotope217 likes this.
  14. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Also check out Vince Guaraldi's album Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus. It's got Cast Your Fate To The Wind on it, and it's one of the prime examples of a style known as West Coast Jazz. Also, someone mentioned Jaco earlier, and its worth mentioning Weather Report, a Jazz fusion act he played with.

God, the more and more I think of it, it's really hard to make anywhere near a comprehensive list of great essential jazz. It's too varied a style.

Seeing as there are apparently more than a few Jazz aficionados on the board, perhaps he could turn this into an official Jazz thread, in the same vein as the appreciation threads for various other musical groups and genres that already exist on the board.

15. Ninja_Jedi

Ninja_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    How has DJ Jazzy Jeff not received a shout out?

16. Carlo_Ancelotti

Carlo_Ancelotti Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 3, 2009
  17. Darth_Vesper

Darth_Vesper Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2008
    John Coltrane.

18. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    Saxophone:
    Coleman Hawkins
    Ornette Coleman
    Charlie Parker
    John Coltrane
    Branford Marsalis
    David Sanborn

Trumpet:
    Dizzy Gillespie
    Miles Davis

Piano:
    McCoy Tyner
    Herbie Hancock
    Joey Calderazzo

Others:
    Marcus Miller (bass clarinet and bass)
    Eric Dolphy (flute, clarinet)
    Miri Ben-Ari (violin)

The best way I think to go through jazz if you're new to it is to find a musician that you like(the above list could be a good place to start) and concentrate on albums he did with the same band. Then you'll probably develop an appreciation for one of his band members and you'll find that that person has a group of their own - then you'll like another musician in THAT group, who also has his own group...its like wikipedia!

19. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    That's an interesting observation about listening to jazz being like browsing wikipedia. It's also really fascinating how different sidemen bring out different elements in each others playing on various records.

Another name I just thought of to check out is Roy Hargrove, a contemporary trumpet player. His album 'Nothing Serious' is pretty good.

20. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    If you have netflix or similar, this could be a good starting point;

Ken Burns documentary series "Jazz"

I'm quite partial to T-Bone Walker, who is like a link between Blues & Jazz;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSOYOFQgVMs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2T42SehZWA

Supergroup!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irXywhqP1ho

With a thinn BB King;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0q_EEugHw8

21. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    He said Jazz... Jazz for $400, Alex.

Be Bop and Hard Bop are my favorites in the Jazz genre. Mostly Coltrane from the late 50's/early 60's and some Miles Davis. I think the improvisation is what's great about those forms of Jazz.

22. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Jello dropped the Blues part from the OP when he retitled the thread. Johnson stays.

23. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    trombone shorty

24. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    As has already been put forth, if you want some swing influence, go with the Count Basie Orchestra. April in Paris, FTW! For Brazilian influence, there's my hometown hero's the Pat Metheny Group. I highly recommend the albums Still Life (Talking) and Imaginary Day. If you want some trip-hop influence, go with DJ Cam. For some frantic, humorous jazz, there's Palmskin Productions' Spock With A Beard. For downtempo stuff, a good find is Angelo Badalamenti's soundtrack for Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.

25. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    no one has mentioned chet baker yet? :eek:

get whichever album 'my funny valentine is on' (chet baker sings, my memory suggests) please.