main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Official Live Action Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by LucasBuiltMeHotRod, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maul Brady

Maul Brady Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 1999
    This is all very interesting and I likes. It would be refreshing to finally see (though we have read) all the aspects of the GFFA.

Though, I still hope we get to see some Jedis. We know a few survived the Order 66 but had to go into hiding (just like the Dark Lord Rising novel).

So looking forward to this!

2. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    If at all accurate I think some of this sounds cool, especially the thought of one of Padme's relatives in the rebellion in some way. I'd rather not have the podracing as anything but background and Kyp's dad sounds like a longshot to me.

3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I think we'll see something similar to this.

How cool was Ben Kenobi in ANH, as this crazy hermit that could kick so much ass?

The Jedi were so commonplace in the PT that the sense of mystery, and indeed, the mysticism of the Jedi, was kind of lost.

Now I think Lucas has a chance to bring that back.

Remember, folks: Lucas is just meeting with potential writers now, it could develop in a totally different way.

I'm treating this like a Rick McCallum report.

4. DSucrose

DSucrose Jedi Master star 1

Feb 12, 2007
    I've read quotes from Lucas and McCallum where each has said that the series would start in one place and then maybe shift focus after a few episodes, and certain secondary characters on the show could get spin-offs.

But I've never read an interview where either of them compared the series to the Twilight Zone in structure. If anything it sounds like a collection of mini-series and one starts where another ends, and then maybe the third storyline could continue the first, which I admit is SIMILAR to The Twilight Zone at first glance, but it isn't really, and is sort of unlike anything that's been done before. It sounds more like Star Wars: Empire or Republic to me, where there is a sense of a continuing timeline, but they go back and forth from person A to person B.

If EVERY episode was a one-off story where they skip around, then why in The Maker's name would they limit it to being between Episodes III and IV? why wouldn't they just cover the entire universe? Saying that the show will be nothing but a series of one-shots is pure speculation. Neither one of them has said this.

It's posts like these that make people believe things are fact and then if the show is different, message boarders are disappointed and complain that that's now how they said it was going to be, when its the community that stirs these rumors up in the first place.

Though if they have said it several times and I'm being a tool, I'd love to see a quote.

5. LucasBuiltMeHotRod

LucasBuiltMeHotRod Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 28, 2002

Ill go out on a limb here, but I think it would be great to see a Jedi-less Star Wars perspective for the majority of the show. The Jedi are such a minute percentage of the galactic population even pre-Purge, but our perspective of the galaxy is almost always through their eyes/stories. Let's see what the Clone Wars/Republic/Purge/Empire/etc is like through "the people's" eyes!!!

Jedi define Star Wars, but so do Hutts, Bounty Hunters, Droids, etc.

6. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm coming around to that view as well, though I think that if they use the Jedi sparingly to give their appearances more weight it would be great.

7. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    the show will be all about Boba fett's adventures. and a few droids like artoo and 3po here and there.

8. Blackfryar

Blackfryar Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2007
    the problem is what is the durability of the show if they deliberatly chose not to show Jedi, Purge, Inquisitors and Sith. SWs are action-movies, the audience would be brutally disappointed if the LAS was all about people talking in front of a blue screen during 45' [face_not_talking]

9. Slobbing Rudyard

Slobbing Rudyard Jedi Master star 1

May 21, 2003
    The Live Action Series is on the front page of the BBC now!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7048440.stm

Rock on dudes!

10. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    And yet at the same time, if they feed that hype endlessly, it becomes old and boring fast.

I think the show will be constituted 99% of non-Jedi, with perhaps an episode or 2 with them in special circumstances.

an example of what I'm thinking would be like a 3rd person perspective on a Jedi being hunted. A shop keeper is thrown into a dangerous situation when a hurt and scared little Jedi scrambles into it's shop to hide from Imps...the episode is less about the jedi as it is about the shopkeep. Perhaps he dislikes Jedi...perhaps he's a loyal Imperial himself...and the episode deals with him having a change of heart to protect the Jedi...

But that is one episode amongst many...and it will make the anticipation of "seeing" a Jedi more meaningful.

I think what the series will do is add importance to the jedi because of their absence...how they will wish for the Jedi in tough spots...but they are dead or hiding...and it makes the importance of the Jedi hero to come all the more resounding.

And seeing inquisitions will be too dark for TV me thinks.

11. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Action doesn't have to feature Jedi. You could have lots of gunfights, fistfights, vibroblade fights, etc.

12. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Right - I can see a scenario where Imperial troops are chasing someone, and as he turns a corner, he waves his hand at a stack of crates, which "magically" fall on the Stormtroopers.

With respect to Inquisitions, I think Battlestar Galactica has dealt with some pretty tough issues, and even ST: TNG went into that territory. I'm thinking specifically of the events on New Caprica; it wasn't R-rated, but it certainly was....dark.

13. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I hope Oola is always wearing that see through net thing.

Story be damned. :)

14. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I wonder if they'll bring back Femi Taylor...AGAIN!

15. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Of course they will, she's still hot. [face_dancing]

16. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    She must be about 60! [face_laugh]

17. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Lucasbuildmehotrod
    Ill go out on a limb here,

Be careful of that. Some here are likely to saw it off behind you. :)

18. swfanz

swfanz Jedi Youngling

Oct 17, 2007
    This sounds great!!

I am wondering, will they have casting calls for this? I am a actress and would love to work with Lucasfilm. (It has been my dream for along time.)I would like to self-submit to this but I am not sure how to go about it. If any of you have info. PLEASE let me know!!

19. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    And probably still dancing...tuck the gray under the headtails and makeup the wrinkles.

Maybe a wonder bra-incorporated costume...it could work.:p

20. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I believe they've said they'll be holding auditions in Australia later on(due to the experience of shooting the Prequels there), but I'm not positive.

21. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    This doesn't sound very promising to me and I'm a hardcore SW fan...I even like the Prequels.
    There needs to be at least a couple of cameo appearances by Vader and Palpy at some point for this show to have any credibility. Just talking about them doesn't do it for me.

22. Blackfryar

Blackfryar Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2007
    I think that DarthHutt is right, unlike most of us, the people who will watch the TV-series never read anything about the EU and they don't care about Thall Joben or Kyp Durron, they want to see SW action in the same vein as the movies. maybe its possible without Jedi & Sith, if they focus on Rebellion operatives and such, but if keep talking about shopkeepers, housekeepers, dancers and
    farmers, it will get boring very fast!

23. MN_JEDI

MN_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 22, 2003
    I agree. There needs to be some Jedi in there somewhere. I mean Jedi are the icon or one of the main icons of Star Wars. Also, Vader and Sids should at least pop up once a season or so, I hope.

24. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Vader is more likely...they can put anyone in a suit and march him around.

And yes, Jedi may be icons...but they are also DEAD icons in this period...devils or martyrs, however they seem to the sentients of the galaxy.

You say we need Jedi in there? I fear a series full of Jedi...and the concept of the purge, and the uniqueness of Obi-wan's ward lost in a sea of green and blue sabers...we already know of too many Jedi who have made it through the purges and dark times...and if Jedi take regular roles in this show...they won't die...the show will be overly depressing if week-in and week-out we got a new Jedi who died at the end...they won't kill them...and then we have to deal with how 30-50 odd Jedi survived the purge but hid from the the rest of canon!

The non-initiated fan doesn't care about Jedi...they care about action.

The casual fan doesn't care about Jedi...they care about Yoda, Obi-wan, Luke, maybe a Mace or Kit Fisto if they are little more hardcore.

"The Jedi" as a whole doesn't concern anyone but hardcore Jedi fans...and in fact, if you fill the show with Jedi, you'll confuse and anger casual fans..."I thought all the Jedi got killed in the last movie?" "Me too" "So is this before?" etc...

_________

Side note: Has Shaak Ti already been mentioned for use in the series? I thought that was an intention after her death was cut from ROTS?

25. admiral_Jim

admiral_Jim Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2004
    jm - my thoughts exactly!!

I must say I was (still am a little) dubious about a LAS but from what we are hearing it could be very interesting.....well it's been interesting enough for me to feel the need to log on and post for the first time since 3SA [face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.