main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Official** MEDIA reviews of AOTC -- your reactions

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by jasman, May 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ju-may

ju-may Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2002
    all reviews hurts

2. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    I stopped reading reviews since I saw the movie.

3. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Fortunately, I care not what the media feels :p

:D

4. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

"Rise, my friend"

5. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    Yesterday AOTC was mentioned on a Hungarian TV channels by the one of the oldest and most famous Hungarian movie directors. The old man is more than 70 years old and spent his whole life making artistic movies- the critics' favorite type, with lot of symbolism and no-one-knows-what-it's-all-about storylines. We can call him an artist.)

The man was giving an interview about politics and this kind of stuff and suddenly he decided to share his latest movie experience with the audience: it was AOTC.

He liked it. He said, it was OK, a great movie. He liked digital filming.

Someone who is old...
    Someone who is a professional director...
    Someone who makes artistic movies.
    Someone who knows much more about how to make movies than ANY critics ever will...

He was not "biased", he does not know he must hate AOTC... He was not paid to like Spiderman better...

So now on for me critics and media reviews can go wherever they want...

6. Ded-Man

Ded-Man Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2002
    Okay, here we go yet again -

This is a positive, mythic review of AOTC.

suite101.com

7. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    He writes a similar review of TPM on that same site.

8. w_sasso_mdtv

w_sasso_mdtv Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2002
    AOTC is finally listed as fresh as Rottentomatoe, with 60% of the reviews positive. Now, if they would just count the other 30 positive reviews towards the tomatometer, it will be a very happy day indeed.

9. augusto

augusto Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    Anybody know what's the review that "tipped it over" ?

10. Insidious_Clone

Insidious_Clone Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2002
    Hi all: I don't want to take credit for this, but here is the e-mail I sent to Rotten Tomatoes and their response. After I checked the meter, another review or two had been added, and we were at 60%...

ORIGINAL MESSAGE

Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 17:04:42 -0400
    To: <feedback@rottentomatoes.com>
    Subject: Michael Wilmington + Star Wars @ 59%

Hello Rotten Tomatoes:

Love your site, but I am a bit confused. I was reviewing who you post reviews from for Star Wars.

You have Mark Caro's review posted, but you do NOT have Michael Wilmington. Both are movie critics for the Chicago Tribune. Wilmington in fact is their senior critic, and gave Attack of the Clones 4-stars.

I believe I have seen Wilmington's reviews for other films on your site.

Why was his excluded in this case? Especially when Star Wars sits on 59% fresh, or an overall "rotten" rating.

I know your site has received a ton of e-mail on how you tally reviews, but this seems like a big mistake, and one which could very likely tips the scales to "fresh".

For the sake of fairness, shouldn't you add Mr. Wilmington's review to the tally? I'd be happy to send you the direct link.

Thank you,

Matt

THEIR REPLY...

Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 14:09:02 -0700
    From: RT Feedback Desk <feedback@rottentomatoes.com> [Add to Address Book]
    To: <xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Subject: RE: Michael Wilmington + Star Wars @ 59%

Hi,

Reviews are listed according to the critic's last name - Wilmington's review
    is probably somewhere near the last pages.

-Senh

MY SECOND REPLY...
    To: <feedback@rottentomatoes.com>
    Subject: RE: Michael Wilmington + Star Wars @ 59%

Hi Senh,

Thank you for your reply.

I had looked through all the review links actually, and Mr. Wilmington's review is not listed, so I didn't think it was factored into your rating.

Thank you again,
    Matt

FINALLY...
    Went I went to the meter today, they had added in 1-2 more reviews, which appears to make us FRESH.

11. augusto

augusto Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    WOW Insidius maybe you did it !!!!

Was one of the reviews added, the one from the guy you pointed to them ?

12. Insidious_Clone

Apr 25, 2002
    I'd like to say yes, but with my second reply, it's not been posted and I just re-checked again.

I'm sure it wasn't the one, but I think they are having a lot of fans point out that there are A LOT of positive AOTC reviews out there that they typically have posted, but for whatever reason did not.

That seems to have been what got AOTC to 60%. As a poster up a ways on this page says, it looks like they are finally getting all the reviews in and up, and the meter should go up at least a point or two more.

13. KeithFranklin

KeithFranklin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 1998
    Just checked and Michael Wilmington is listed. I am from Chicago and it was listed right after his review went live a couple of weeks back. Dont know if it disappeared for a day or two but I havent seen the cream of the crop percentage change from 36% at all. It should by the way because the 2nd CNN review is a positive review not a negative review.

14. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Naturally Rottentomatoes is slow to add positive reviews to AOTC even thought it's one of if the biggest movies of the summer...*cough*conspiracy*cough*

15. Drew_Workin_It

Drew_Workin_It Jedi Master star 1

May 18, 2002
    Someone school me on that site, I just registered there, and it seems that it's just about bashing Star Wars. They compile reviews from the around the country, and the total of good vs bad reviews determines whether it's "fresh" or "rotten?" Who chooses which reviews make that up?

16. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    They choose which reviews to use. And they choose whether it is fresh or rotten.

I really don't care what they say about AOTC. I like the film, and that's all that matters to me.

17. KeithFranklin

Jul 22, 1998
    Amazing thing (I think this changed also) but TPM is now 64% fresh...AOTC is still behind it.

18. Drew_Workin_It

Drew_Workin_It Jedi Master star 1

May 18, 2002
    YJ, well said. I wholeheartedly agree.

19. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    "Professional" critics have never understood Star Wars.

I love TPM. I love AOTC. I love ANH. I love ESB. I love ROTJ. And I'll love Episode III, so who really gives a **** what kind of stick the critics have up their butts about Star Wars?

20. Insidious_Clone

Apr 25, 2002
    YJ and D_W_I -

While I also enjoyed the film and that is what matters to me, I am very very sick of the media beating up on this movie and Star Wars in general.

This site (rottentomatoes.com) is one that is a true indicator of overall critical opinion of films as they have a wide range of reviews. AOTC has 135 reviews linked, for example.

I think it is important that this site is an independent non-fan based forum that shows the majority of reviews for AOTC have been positive, NOT negative as has been portrayed. It is interesting to note that TPM was also (as another poster just mentioned).

I guess seeing that AOTC now has a "Fresh" rating at RT.com is a victory, albeit a small one.

21. KeithFranklin

Jul 22, 1998
    It should have been Fresh all along...It took them forever to post the positives but the negatives go up right away.

22. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    Don't worry... the second RT gets wind that AOTC might win another weekend they will be sure to post 3 negative reviews from www.starwarssucks.com. :)

RB

23. Sapno Krei

Sapno Krei Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 23, 1999
    Just FYI, as of 05/31/2002, STAR WARS has just reached the 60% mark on Rotten Tomatoes, barely changing its symbol from a rotten green splat back to a fresh red tomato.

Not that it matters, right?

24. Chris_Organa

Chris_Organa Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2002
    One of the better movie sites on the net is Upcomingmovies.com. Their webmaster, Greg Dean Schmitz, went to Skywalker Ranch for a press tour 3 weeks ago and was supposed to put up an account of his trip, along with a review of AOTC, interviews with Samuel and Hayden, etc.

Anyone know what happened with that? Can't seem to find it on the site.

Could be an interesting read.

25. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Anyone see Hot Ticket with Leonard Maltin and that other lady. They were reviewing Leonardo DeCaprio Movies along with Enough and Insomnia. I forgot exactly which movie they liked, which of course, I don't of a piece of crap, and it revealed how out of touch they both are.

I liked Hot Ticket better when they had that panel of people reviewing it, not just some pretentious critics.[face_devil]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.