main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO ***Official Movie Discussion Thread***.

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by quigon_brian, Jul 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    Since there hasn't been a whole lot of traffic around here lately, I though this might jump-start things.

This thread is for people to talk about what movies they've seen, liked, hated, are looking forward to, etc. If it's just been released in the last couple of weeks, try to keep it spoiler free.

Anyway, this summer started for me with X2. A great movie, much better than the first, IMO. This movie contained the best action sequence of the summer, hands down. The opening scene where Nightcrawler is trying to assassinate the president is just plain sick. The fight between Logan and Deathstrike is really good too. Much better than his fight with Mistique in the last one.
    My final grade: A-

A week and a half later, my four year wait came to an end, and a dissapointing end at that. The Matrix: Reloaded was my most anticipated film of the year, and I must say that the anticipation was all for nothing. My first complaint, if I never see Keanu Reeve's butt again, it'll be too soon. The sex scene with him and Trinity could have been hot, but instead, it was just plain weird. Next, I did not really like the design of Zion. It reminded me too much of hippies which piss me off. The action sequences were great, but sometimes they were too forced. When Neo goes to see the Oracle, he gets into a fight with some oriental guy just to make sure he's "The One". Pointless and not very exciting.
    The Agents Smith vs. Neo fight was great, but the texturing on the 3D models of them could have been a lot better. I've seen some better texturing by some of the guys over at the fan films forum. I really enjoyed the highway scene too, but those two scenes weren't enough to save the movie. It was a fun summer movie, but nowhere near up to par with the original.
    My final grade: C

Next up came Bruce Almighty. Jim Carrey came back to his true roots in style. After several serious attempts like Man on the Moon and The Majestic, I was beginning to worry that he may never come back from the dark side. He proved me wrong with this extremely funny, heartwarming comedy. Jennifer Aniston gives a good performance too proving that she may be the only one with a carreer after Friends. Not quite up there with Ace Ventura and Dumb and Dumber, but still one of his better movies. I'd say it's a little above Liar Liar.
    My final grade: B

I've got a few more, but I wanted to limit it to 3 reviews in one post so it didn't get too long. I'll post more of my "in-depth" reviews later.

2. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Summer movies, what fun....

I agree with Brian, X2 was good and Bruce Almighty (what I saw of it, don't get me started on the rude children at Mid-Rivers theater) was all right too, as was LXG.

My FAVORITE this summer though has been Pirates of the Caribbean. That movie had it all. Sword fights, lager than life villains, heroes who are all too human, a distressing damsel who can hold her own, Johnny Depp, and Orlando Bloom. Ithas the feel of Star Wars. Two guys, a pirate and local kid go to save the girl, they fight the system.... You get the picture.
    I rate it an A+

3. _Mike_

_Mike_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 20, 2002
    Well, uh, you know that one movie where that one thing happens? Yea. Where the one dude and the other dude like... yea. And there's an explosion thats like.... yea.

Yea that one.

Well, I give it an F-.

;) :p

4. dudeman

dudeman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    i kinda agree with you brian, i liked X2 a lot, it was better than the first. the action was very good, but the end was kinda wierd, i wont spoil it for you guys who havent seen it, but i will say that i didnt liek the choice that was made at the end and i will leave it at that.

and the smae with bruce almighty, jim carry needed a film like this after man on the moon and the majestic. i didnt even bother to see those. this movie was hilarious, especially at the end credits. all in all, this movie was great.

and now to matrix reloaded, it wasnt as good as #1 (few movies will be if you ask me) but i did like the action, i dont agree with brian on the c rating, maybe a B, but nothing higher. i agree about zion, they reminded me about caveman on dope at woodstock/mudstock inside a cave, not too good. but the car scene, the asian dude, and the scene up to the car scene were excellent, but the neo vs. agent smiths looked like a video game. it really took from the movie. i was pretty disappointed with this scene.

and i think i have to add this, even though this post is gonna be huge. i have to talk about the hulk. i thought this movie was good except for 2 things: the picture and picture thing to give it a comic book effect, and the length of time it took for the hulk to come out. the movie was about 2 hours long and bruce turned into the hulk at about hour number 1 or even later.

ok that was my rant for now, until i see LXG and pirates of the carribean anyway

5. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    "don't get me started on the rudeness children at Mid-Rivers theater"

I must've been at the same showing you were at, Jedi_Dujuan! Let me guess. Were they giving the finger in front of the projector?

6. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Maybe but I didn't see that part, it was the snickering, yelling, and gay remarks that got me. Got a free movie out of the deal.

7. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    Really? Good thing I'm down at the lake. Good theatre nearby that hardly anybody goes to.

8. quigon_brian

Aug 16, 2001
    lake of the ozarks? if so, do you mean the wehrenberg in the outlet mall or the B&B theater way out there?

Today, I'll do my reviews of Pirates of the Caribbean, Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, and Finding Nemo. I would like to read a full review of the Hulk and I'd also like to hear how bad Dumb and Dumberer was.

Anyone else see any good/bad/mediocre movies this summer?

9. Jedi_Tabee

Jedi_Tabee Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 6, 2001
    I feel like such a loser, I haven't seen any of those movies you mentioned in your post Brian :p

X2: didn't see the first in theater, don't care about the second

Matrix: Reloaded: Blah. The first one wasn't that good, I ain't wasting my money on the second... 'specially since I didn't see the first in theaters either :p

Bruce Almighty: Thought about seeing, but really don't like Jim Carrey...

10. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Dumb and Dumberer is as bad as you think it's going to be. I still had a good time there though. The two poop jokes with Bob Saget are pretty good. It is mindless toilet humor. Know that going in and it's pretty good. But seriously expect NOTHING more out of it.

Anyone know if T3 is worth bothering with? I just can't seem to make it to the theater for that one, something else always comes up.

11. quigon_brian

Aug 16, 2001
    As far as T3 goes, I never saw the first two, so I felt no need to see this. I'll probably do a marathon or something when they release T3 on video.

On to my next review...
    After a couple of weeks of doing nothing but sitting around, I decided to frighten parents by being "that creepy guy that goes to the kiddie movie." From the very first scene, Finding Nemo captivated me with its insanely beautiful animation. Pixar really outdid themselves with this one. Liquids are truly the most difficult thing to do in 3D animation, and they pulled it off spectacularly. If they moved into doing animation for live action films, they would dominate the industry. This movie is worth seeing for the annimation alone, not to mention the story. It starts off in Bambi fashion. Mom dies, so his dad raises him (okay, so not exactly Bambi fashion). Anyway, Nemo has a messed-up right fin, so his dad is super protective of him. To prove how cool he is to his new school friends, he swims away from the reef and gets captured by a scubadiver. The rest of the movie, his dad tries to find where Nemo is (hence the name) and hilarity ensues.
    Not as good as Toy Story 1, but way better than Monsters Inc.
    My final grade: B-

12. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    quigon_brian, it's a b&b theatre. I just saw Terminator 3 today.It's really cool, better than the second film, not too sure if it's better than the first. Pirates Of The Caribbean is worth seeing, TheHulk, however, I didn't like too much.

13. Dagobah_Diva

Dagobah_Diva Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    I hardly ever get to go out to see movies, but I did get to see X2...very good. I used to watch the cartoons all the time.

I did,however, just finish the new Harry Potter book. I know a couple of you are into those books/movies. Rowling just keeps getting better as she writes.

14. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    You think so Diva? I didn't like this last book as much as the previous, it lost a bit of magic to me. Harry was so mean and sulky all the time. In the previous books Hogwarts seemed like the best school in the world, this time, not so much.

I don't know maybe I built it up too much. Here's to waiting three years for book six!

15. dudeman

Jun 19, 2002
    i liked book 5, it was my favorite, they go from 5 to 1 in favorites, but i liked one a lot anyway.

ok on to T3: it rocked! i cant remember how the first 2 went cuz i forgot the story about them, but T3 picked that up for me very quickly. my dad says that T1 and 2 were better, but T3 was awesome. it wasnt just another action movie, it had a story line! plus it had a lot of humor too. very good movie, very much worth seeing more than once.

final grade: A

16. Darth_Athena

Darth_Athena Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2000
    *crawls out of the deep, dark recesses of lurkerdom*

Ok, movies I've seen at the theater this summer (in alphabetical order):

Down With Love: Saw it only because Ewan was in it, generally avoid chick flicks. Was actually amusing, simply because it mocked 60's chick flicks so well.

Finding Nemo: Adorable! Saw it the first week, and just loved it! Animation was beautiful, and pixar is wonderful at creating movies that have plots that appeal to both children and adults.

Hulk: Bored me to tears. Saw it at an employee screening the night before it opened and nearly fell asleep. I actually got up and walked around out in the lobby for a few min. to wake up, and missed nothing. I went to see it with no expectations. And somehow, I was still dissapointed. Only 3 action sceens, bogged down with too much confusing back story in some areas, while it had too little explaination in others. The whole storyline with the father was unnecessary, and simply caused it to drag one for far too long. I wish I could have my 2.5 hours back. 2/10

Legally Blonde 2: The only reason I went to see this was because on opening night, we were dead at the theater, so I got off work 4 hours early. Scarily enough, it did have it's amusing points (somehow they managed to keep the funniest part out of any trailers). 7/10

The Matrix: Reloaded: Enjoyable, but had some rather unnecessary scenes (orgy/rave, anyone?). Was too long, and the end was a dissapointment. Dratted cliffhanger endings. It probably would have been better to end it about a half hour earlier, but, alas, they decided to annoy the audience that much more. 6/10

Pirates of the Carribean: best movie of the summer, without a doubt (so far-not that much else looks promising). I'm a sucker for hot guys in period clothing (Mmmm.. Johnny Depp....) Plus, if any other actor had as much fun with their roles as Depp has in this (and most of his other movies), we'd have no shortage of good movies. CGI gets a little weird at times, but overall, it's fairly well done. Honestly, it's Depp that adds so much to this movie as Captain Jack Sparrow. (Not hard to tell who one of my fave actors is, and has been for years... :) ) 9/10

X2: Entertaining. Actually drove up from rolla with 8 other people to see it opening night at a decent theater (plus we got to see it for free thanks to my connections..) Anyways, it was a decent start to a summer that has been extremely dissapointing. It did leave me looking foreward to the next one, though. 7/10

Overall, the movies this summer have frankly sucked, otherwise I would have seen quite a few more. And when you figure in that I get to see them for free... Gah, this is the worst year for movies.... So far, that is. We'll see how ROTK and Matrix: Revolutions turn out.

*sneaks back to her shadowy lurker's corner*

17. Jedi_Tabee

Jedi_Tabee Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 6, 2001
    guess this means I get to review the one movie I've seen this summer? ;)

guess what it was! come on! guess!

oh, need a hint?

hot guys
    dead people
    creepy dead monkey

got it?

*waits*

yes! I saw PotC! twice actually ;)

I've wanted to see it since I first saw the teaser when we all saw TTT at Ronnie's ( [face_laugh] at that night)

I was so not disappointed (and that makes me happy)

it had great action (I love swordfighting)
    even had a decent storyline!
    and... it had hot guys :D [face_love]

so yeah, I loved it... gotta get a poster for me dormroom ;)

18. kddidit

kddidit Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2003
    Hi, everyone! The only two movies we've seen this year are Matrix Reloaded and Pirates of the Caribbean. The only one I'd pay to see again is Pirates. Jedi-Dujuan, I agree, there's a definite Star Wars overtone. Not a bad thing, IMO. LXG and Seabiscuit are on my list, time permitting.

19. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Yeah Seabiscut is totally on my list (ahh.... Toby.....) also TombRaider. I'm totally addicted to the games. Kinda Indy-ish, in a guy drooling not girl drolling sort of way.

Yeah I'd totally see Pirates again, and again....

20. GrandJediMaster

GrandJediMaster Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2002
    I hope that this weekend I can see T3. I just finished see the first two, and from the stuff I've seen and heard, I can't wait to see T4

21. kddidit

kddidit Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2003
    So far two ppl have come in with positive reviews on T3. Personally, I liked T1 the best, T2 was okay and I wondered if T3 was maybe a bit formulaic. I've got one more week off work :D and a budget :(, therefore a choice must be made. sigh. EPIII, is it too soon to start a countdown?

22. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    My vote would be to go see Pirates again, much better movie. 8-}

~H~

23. NIBBOR11

NIBBOR11 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2002
    Got back just a little while ago from seeing
    Laura Croft and the Cradle of Life, Tomb Raider II.

It was pretty good, lots of action. She could hold her own against Indiana Jones. I haven't seen to many of Angelina Jolie movies, but I don't think there's too many actresses out there right now that could pull off Laura Croft. The role seems to fit her attitude.

BTW- DarthJurist I love your icon of David Bowie from Labyrinth.

24. dudeman

Jun 19, 2002
    ok, time to review LXG, one word AWESOME!! ok this movie is probably the best one that i have seen this summer (but according to some of you thats not hard to do). this movie definately lived up to sean connery standards. i would give a quick character list and judgement, but i cant, if you want to know why, then go see the movie ;)

final grade- A to A+

25. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    You really summed it up there dudeman. That really was an unexpected great movie. No Tomb Raider spoilers, I still haven't seen it. I worked too much this weekend.

AND it's never too soon for a EPIII countdown IMO!
    D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.