main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Official "What's the Story?" Hyperspace Databank Feature Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by clonewarseu, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    ...and there was much rejoycing! :D

TC

2. Caledre

Caledre Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2006
    Suh-WEET!

Bane Malar! I did the bio for a soon-to-be Star Wars figure! I can die in peace now...hahaha. Well, the only thing excised from my submission was his species. I made him a Draethos, like Odan-Urr. I guess Bane will remain in the rolls of the unknown. :(

And check out the byline on number 62..."written by FREQUENT CONTRIBUTOR caledre..." I'm all lit up now. :) This comes on the heels of having just sold my first short story to a little magazine in the UK.

Congrats to everybody. That's a real nice looking bunch of work on that update page.

3. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Hey, congratulations(2)! When do we get to read your short story? :D

Anybody want to do a rundown on the entries new to this update? I've read so many of them here before they won that I can't remember exactly who won today... :p

TC

4. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Slyther Bushforb, Oakie Dokes, Seib Nod, Naboo holyman, and Bane Malar. There might have been another AOTC one.

jSarek: Your Bushforb one was friggin' awesome.

5. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    JSarek - yours was awesome.

No offense to the others, but I can't say I'm that excited about the others we'd been waiting for.

6. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Any disappointment at not getting a second entry in is alleviated by jSarek's winning Bushforb entry. I'd been rooting for it since I read it. Congrats, Rekky! :D

7. Sompeetalay

Sompeetalay Jedi Master star 2

Dec 17, 1999
    Yesss :) I made it :) It had been some time ago so I'm really happy about Maxiron.

8. Sompeetalay

Sompeetalay Jedi Master star 2

Dec 17, 1999
    Here are a few behind the scenes word I wrote about Maxiron: http://blogs.starwars.com/teekay-421/13

And I do hope, a part of the WTS entry about Bane Malar will be included with his figure! Congrats to all chosen entries :)

9. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    YEAY!!!

I'm thrilled that I won not only another WTS, but that specific WTS. I put a lot of work into capturing a certain mood with the text of my Slyther Bushforb submission, and have always felt that it was the strongest thing I'd ever written for the contest. I'm glad Pablo et al felt the same way about it.

For those curious about the changes made from my original submission, look back in this thread to my 1/20/07 3:29am post (which will be on this page if you have the same number of posts per page that I do . . . which, given my track record, is somewhat unlikely). More changes were made to this one than my Cane Adiss entry, which is unsurprising, since I was deliberately pushing the limits of the Databank format with my submission, and space limitations left my story a little choppy in places. I'm happy that the changes not only smoothed the story out and fit the Databank format better, but managed to capture even more of the hard-boiled feel I was going for (Vekka puffing a slender cigarra? Brilliant!).

Hopefully, I'll get a Behind The Scenes blog entry up in short order, but since I'm currently fighting the common cold, it may take a while.

Thanks to all of those with kind words about the entry, and congratulations to the other winners. :)

10. nawaraven104

nawaraven104 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2005
    I'm a little bummed that they didn't take this opportunity to fix the whole "Augura"/"Augarra" spelling issue in Augie's entry, but oh well...

Still hoping for a figure of her somewhere down the road. True, only the diehard collectors and I would be only ones who would buy her, but still...

Anyhoo, congrats to all! It's a drag that this is going away.

11. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Congratulations to all the winners! I haven't had a chance to read through the winners yet, but that's on my agenda tonight. I'm sure the wins were well-deserved! [:D]

EDIT: Just noticed this--super special congrats to ShadowCultist: my fellow Silya Shessaun contributor! Congrats! =D=

12. yodas_waiter

yodas_waiter Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Awesomness! Congatulations all winners. It's great that WTS is finally complete! :D

Hmm...any idea why the entries are in the order that they are in?

13. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Alphabetical.

14. yodas_waiter

yodas_waiter Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Aha, I see it now. The Holyman and Cane Adiss threw me off ;)

15. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
  16. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Ris_jSarek, I just read your Slyther Bushforb entry, and I just have to laugh at some of it.

It was a dark night, one that would have undoubtedly been stormy had Coruscant's Weather Control Network permitted it.

palooka

I found it funny how you managed to incorporate elements of American mystery novels and/or movies from the 1940's or so into the EU. By the time I read "palooka", I was expecting to see "Bada-Bing" next.

It was a good entry. I'm not making fun of it. And I can't help but feel it could serve as a baseline and be flushed out into a fanfic for these boards.

17. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Well, that was one of my goals: to draw out a smile or two from the juxtaposition of a Star Wars character (especially one as goofy looking as Slyther) with cliches of the hardboiled detective genre.

As for a fanfic . . . well, that's not usually my cup of tea. But you never know . . .

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    These are awesome! Congrats guys!!! :D

19. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    And so it ends...

Some great new entries and congrats to those who have won, some winners I am pleased to see again to have won (Somp, Sarek I am looking at you). Celedre having won something is great to see aswell, to bad they had to cut your species reference.

To bad I havent won a second entry though it is a pleasure to see I have been beaten by Somp with one of the few I had high chances for. They didnt seem to have changed any spelling mistakes however. Augurra still is wrong (and no doubt typed wrong by me as well now) and so is Niai (in his name image so to speak).

20. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    I tried to evoke that in my entry for Slyther, as well. But I was a a lot more subtle with it. The fact that you really took it further and got chosen makes me wish I hadn't held back. I connected him even closer with the world of Raymond Chandler's Philp Marlowe character. But this turned out to be a real fun entry. :)

I wasn't as happy with my Malar entry, so I wasn't expecting much from it. It was mostly an all-obscure-reference story. Including a barely seen Marvel alien race hiding under that helmet. But, hey, this whole feature was fun while it lasted and I did get one of mine chosen earlier!

Aw, who am I kidding? My entries were the best! You guys all stink!! I will hate Starwars.com forever!!!

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.