main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* Wisconsin Fanforce Costume Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by LeiaYT1300, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LauedGiind

LauedGiind Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Sad and pathetic is my life since I have no plans on Feb 14th. However, Beret should still go with Bob on that night since her guy will be around. :) The 15th will work for me.

2. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Ok, guys--the next costume meeting will be on Sunday, February 15that my place. A time has not been set, but I would think early afternoon around 1pm would be fine--post if you have problems with the time. And this is a just a quick, couple hour meeting, to refresh our brains for 2004 projects, report on what you've done, discuss problems in construction and show anything you would like. I will not be planning another meeting until late March/early April, when the weather is a little warmer so we might have either a fabric run or a thrift store run (or both, if you guys are up to it), but do keep that in mind for that time. :)

Nosh, pardon the late reply but I do not have any information for a Dengar costume, and I believe I speak for the group when I say the others most likely do not either. However, that doesn't mean it can't be done. When planning a costume, a major facet is research--pictures, the action figures and any other images sources you can get your hands on. Then you must find garments or make garments (using/modifying commercial patterns or creating your own patterns) for said costume. In your case, I think a good place to start is to put a query out on the Jedi Council costuming boards, which is listed under fan activities on the main JC page. I'm sure someone out there may have made a Dengar costume and can point you in the right direction. Hope that helps! :)

3. TwistyMaeSkywalker

TwistyMaeSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2000
    I'll be there this time. ;) For once. And I'll bring pictures of the half a dozen costumes on my list as well as the ONE costume I finally have done to the point I can wear it and not be embarassed.

Oh, and I need to point this out to everyone: the new Jo-Ann Fabrics store by Southridge? A-freaking-mazing. It's GIGANTIC! And it's got a lot of neat home decor fabrics that I might use for my Eowyn dresses (those are near the middle of the list) as well as lots of amazing trim and ribbon. I spent almost an hour in there just wandering and making a mental shopping list. :)

4. LauedGiind

Sep 4, 2002
    I live really close to there. I'll have to see the new set up. By the way, did you see any jersey knit there?

5. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Ok, guys, if I haven't already posted the time for Sunday, here you go: please arrive no later than 1pm. Remember, this is a short meeting, only 2-3 hours, then I have to kick you out so I can do the weekly chores. ;) However, everyone has a lot to talk about, it seems, so it should be a jam-packed meeting. :)

I haven't been to the new JoAnn's location on 76th, but I hope to get there this weekend for the viewing. Laura, I know JoAnn's sells one kind of jersey knit, but it's meant for traditional turtle necks, and it's a one-way stretch. It could work just fine, but I would experiment first. The nice thing about it is that I don't believe it's more than $4/yd, so you can afford to experiment. Plus, I may have some extra lying around that you can play with, if you like (you know me, I'm always trying to pass on some of the extra fabric I have ;) ); I'll try to dig it out to give to you tonight or for Sunday. :)

Well, my ceremonial gown remains at a standstill, although I hope to start work on the muslin on Saturday, if not during one evening this week (have to get the darn Xmas tree down first before we start a fire ;) ). The good news is Master Replicas is selling a replica of the ANH ceremonial medal in matte 18k goldplate for $99! Hit the site to see for yourself--it's rather Aztec in design, I think, and it's rather graceful! I did whip out the card and purchase one to hang around Bob's neck for C3 while we're in costume, and I can't wait for it to come (will be shipped mid-March). If you want one for yourself, don't wait too long. :)

Alrighty then! If you haven't already posted or told me, post here to let me know that you are coming, so I have a good head count, and know who's attending. Any questions, let me know. See you guys at 1pm on Sunday! :)

6. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002
    I'll be there unless something prevents me! :)

7. LauedGiind

Sep 4, 2002
    You already know but I will post it here as well. I'm coming on Sunday.

I'll have to look at your jersey knit. I definitely want to do a fabric run in Chicago around early April for my lake dress and my battle costume.

8. LauedGiind

Sep 4, 2002
    I finished the embroidery for the bodice! Yay! Now, onto the tabard.

9. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    First off, I just wanted to say how much fun I had this past Sunday. I think we got a lot discussed, and it was a blast. Thanks to all of you who attended. :)

And Laura, I would like to say once more how wonderful your bodice embroidery turned out. It's very beautiful, and I'm certain your tabard and sleeve embroideries will turn out just as fabulous! Keep up the great work! :)

On my end, things are progressing steadily with the Ceremonial gown, with a finish date of Friday evening. The crown of braids is halfway done, and the belt will be painted silver and finished this evening. Of course, this process is not without glitches. Even with the 20+ pounds I dropped since last summer, it is still an absolute nightmare fitting a one-piece dress to my body. In short, there was so much muslin work involved in just fitting the sheath dress part, that I was up until 4:30am this past night (only to rise at 8am, and run to work). It was my hope to have the whole muslin finished last night, and then pull it apart, cut out and sew the finished gown relatively quickly this evening, but to no avail. I'm expecting the muslin for the sleeves should go smoothly, now that I have worked out the logistics, but I knock on wood anyway, just in case. In my experience, bad luck generally occurs in the eleventh hour, no matter what I do to prevent it, so in short, I'll just prepare for the worst.

Bob is being a real trooper about it, though, and has been very helpful. He'll be cutting out the medallions for the belt from steel, as well as drilling holes in their centers for me, as such kinds of propmaking I tend to struggle with.

In any case, I remain very optimistic in its completion, and I can't wait to enter the FilmCon contest on Saturday. It will have been nearly two years since I have entered a costume contest, and although I would never expect to win anything (it is, after all the hard work, a simple costume when compared to others), it would certainly make my weekend. :D

Anyway, enough rant from me. I hope everyone's projects are progressing well, and post here if you questions, want to make an update, or just want to rant. :)

10. Jedi_Knight_Isadore

Jedi_Knight_Isadore Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    Well, for those going to be at Filmcon will get to see the progresion on the Hippy Jedi, and I have to say, I am quite proud of the overcloak. Many hours went into it, and will maybe do more after Filmcon.

Oh sorry about this past weekend, I didn't check the boards for a few days and completly missed the anouncment of a meeting, but I had to work anyways. *shrugs* Will make the next one.

Devan

11. LauedGiind

Sep 4, 2002
    Thanks Beret! :)

Do you need help sewing that costume? Perhaps another set of hands might help. I am available tomorrow night so if you do need help just let me know. It might help relieve some stress.

12. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    Dang it. I totally missed your post, Beret! I would have been at the meeting. Oh well. I'll make it next time.

13. LauedGiind

Sep 4, 2002
    Beret- Did you ever get your Ceremony costume done? I was all excited to see it at Filmcon but you didn't show up. I hope nothing bad happened.

14. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Well, I don't know what to say. I sometimes think I really am paying for something I did in another life. At least that's what it feels like...

In short, it was a disaster. Not the costume, mind you--that's turning out great. In fact, I've never been happier with the results, and I think it will look stunning when finished. It was the process to get to that point that was a disaster.

It started Wednesday night. The muslin should have been completed that night. Instead, by 4am Thursday morning it was only half done. To this day, I continue to curse being pear-shaped. It makes creating a one-piece sheath dress such a massive trial. It was certainly folly to believe that losing 20 pounds would make a difference. It did not.

So, I went to work Thursday on 3 1/2 hours of sleep, wading through endless last-minute image requests and meetings (I was hardly surprised it turned out to be the worst day of the week thus far), and returned home to continue working. With the theory that the gown has sleeves, not a full cloak, firmly in mind, I started the sleeve pattern and hit another wall. My mom called to discuss Friday's wedding gown shopping trip (I had put in for a personal day at work), and in my despair revealed the problems I was having. First off, I was working with 45" wide crepe, the standard for that kind of fabric. 60" or better would have made my life so much easier, but crepe rarely comes larger than 45". And the back shoulder of the pattern was just not working out.

Thus when my mom opted to come over and help, I was grateful (I had completely forgotten that you were available, Laura, and I would have called you had my brain been working beyond the costume's details). Her fresh perspective helped me gain a solution, and the muslin fell into place sometime after midnight. Although I did weather one more blow to my pride when my mom asked innocently whether or not this was the last convention until after the wedding as she feels I should concentrate on that rather than costuming (which is bunk, because up until I'd started on this costume, I'd been working on the wedding), but I just winced, and nodded reluctantly, too tired to argue. I'm grateful for her help, though, so I couldn't be angry.

I stayed up Thursday night until about 3am, and proceeded to rise at 7am to continue working on the gown, until my mom arrived at 9am to start the wedding gown day trip. In most respects, I wish I would have accepted when my mom suggested I cancel the trip and sew instead, but I was so desperate to prove that my costuming would not get in the way of the wedding, to reassure her, that I decided not to cancel. Another mistake.

As my mom and sister are true power shoppers, between that and the traffic, I did not return home until 10pm Friday night. With Bob's help, I continued as fast as my fingers could go--he finished the belt in an hour, while I worked on the gown. He went to bed and I remained awake working. I never went to sleep that night. Come the dawn, I still had over 300+ inches of sleeve to hand-hem (it could be done no other way without looking like I did it sloppily and hurriedly), as well as the gown's hems (two layers total) and no hairpiece.

And, at that point, I simply broke down. I was so angry at myself for not finishing in time, for having so many problems with the muslin initially, which was a massive contribution to the delays (I will never again believe that a costume devoid of embellishment is easier than one with), and I had slept 7 hours in a total of 84. I was trembling so badly, I could barely sew come 8am. And I worried that you, Laura, were counting on a ride. I even called that morning, but you didn't answer, and in fear, I checked the boards, determined to take you there myself to Madison, even if I didn't stay, but you had made plans with Megan, and for that I was heartily grateful. I didn't want to leave you stranded. But more than anything, I was so embarrassed that I hadn't finished, and yet I had made these promises that I would be there, th

15. LauedGiind

Sep 4, 2002
    Beret- I thought that is what happened actually. Don't worry about it. All you missed was a cute Han Solo and some loitering. I did attend the costume contest and saw that they loved Devan's costume(which is looking fantastic!). I was just worried that your car broke down on the way there. I hadn't heard from you either so I fugured to start making my own plans just in case. I still cannot wait to see your costume Beret. I know it will turn out excellent.

By the way, what were the judges thinking about when they overlooked Leslie's fantastic costume? Leslie- you looked great.

16. solo414

Mar 28, 2002
    Beret - You aren't a good costumer? BLARNEY! I've seen your work and you could give every costumer I know a good run for their money. You're talented and don't you forget it.

Leslie & Beret - I meant to tell you how excelent the costume looked. Judges = blind.

17. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Congratulations, Devan, on winning one of the awards--I've no doubt your Hippie Jedi costume was a sensation! :)

Yeah, Laura, I wish it had just been my car breaking down. That would have been easier to deal with, but not so. So, I missed a cute Han Solo, eh? Was he that good of a replica? Oh well, perhaps it's for the best anyway--Bob would have just been jealous. ;)

And I heard from Leslie that her costume was overlooked. I find that very bothersome--not in terms of the fact that the costume is very screen accurate, but that when she wears the costume, she becomes Arwen, and I think that is very important for any costume contest. But that's just me... I also heard there was a Barbarella that showed and inevitably stole the show. 'Guess that just reinforces the fact that sex usually wins. [face_plain]

But I'm glad to hear that everyone had a good time loitering. ;)

As for the Ceremonial gown, I did have it hanging on the mannequin over the weekend (I took it down to work on it Sunday night, and also because the knit and crepe are a heavy combination, so it will have to be stored lying down in a long box to keep it from stretching lengthwise from the weight; the classic gown, when I finish it, will have to be stored similarly, also--the knit fabric is just that heavy) with the belt around it for fun while I recovered, and I think it looks fantastic. Tonight, I'm doing all the hemming on it, and if there's time, I'll finish the hairpiece and put the whole ensemble on just to see how it turned out. To my thinking, it will definitely be one of my best in terms of construction (although I consider the Arwen I did and the Bespin gown my top two best; this Ceremonial gown is a solid #3). I plan to take pictures this weekend, and I'll add them to my photo album so that you may all see. :)

Well, back to work!

Edit: Just caught your post, Megan. Thanks so much! I really appreciate all the support you guys give me [insert teary-eyed smiley here]! :)

18. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    Hi all! Finally getting a chance to look at the boards and read again (besides Beret's email to me separately) about the Ceremonial Gown snafu etc. Personally, I just don't know how you do it, Beret!!!!

Thanks to everyone for your compliments to both me and Beret (for her marvelous costuming skills in creating such a beautiful Arwen riding outfit for me). Yes, it is frustrating when a costume that is so close to the original (as 2 of the actors told me at the Tolkien convention) gets overlooked or ignored (and I even had Elven ears which Legolas did not!) - it does make you wonder why you even bother! As to Beret's comment about me being Arwen, I try to portray Arwen as I see her...quiet, regal yet strong - which I think may work against me sometimes since I don't do something stupid or loud. I don't know...what do you all think?

Also, as I told Beret, when Barbarella walked into the pre-judging room, there were 4 of us standing together who, all at the same time, said "Well, we know we won't win anything now!" C'est la vie! She won a special award called "Breast of Show." Shades of DragonCon and GenCon, I guess. :(

There were a few very good costumes...in particular, I liked the Wicked Witch of the West and Capt Jack Sparrow with Elizabeth (and Freddy Krueger did look very frightening so I can understand why he got Best of Show). Han Solo was not in the contest but he did look good...grrrrr! Devon's Hippie Jedi was very original and deserved recognition for an original idea. I was insulted that the "Couch Potato" won since I find those kinds of cheap costumes to be, well, insulting to those of us who put lots of time and money into our costumes. Hmmm...maybe I'll come as a cheap dominatrix and use black garbage bags instead of leather??? What do you think? Would I win???

However, I think I will talk to Eric about having at least First and Second Place awards for each category. I think there were some of us who at least deserved Second since we did not get First. Giving just First Place is hard to those who have excellent costumes as well but are overlooked maybe due to a possible lack of certificates or whatever. I just think giving more than First Place is a very good idea.

Now, I'm not being a sore loser...I already won an award for the Arwen costume in Toronto at the Tolkien Gathering which means much more to me than any other contest probably will that's coming up...but it does get tiring to lose against T&A or extremely cheap-whipped-up-in-one-hour costumes the majority of the time.

Okay, off my soapbox now...

BTW, Laura, you looked good as Buffy (you sure look different as a blonde!!!)and I'm sorry I missed seeing you before you left - I guess you wanted to show me the embroidery on your Padme gown! Sorry!!! Bring it to the next book club meeting on March 7! Please!!!

19. LauedGiind

Sep 4, 2002
    Perhaps I should have gone in the contest after all. After seeing some of those costumes, I would have given Miss Barbarella a run for her money since I was hiding a lot of cleavage underneath the leather jacket. I could have said I was Buffy but a lot of people(including myself) think I look a lot like Julia Roberts from Pretty Woman in the wig. I would never get away with the outfit that she wore in that movie.

And yes, the look-a-like Han was really cute and I even got to talk to him to find out how he did such a fantastic costume.

20. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    BTW, Laura, it was either the Han Solo or Capt Jack Sparrow who was Anakin last year at FilmCon (part of the Iowa group that won).

Oh, yeah! Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman! You're right...you did look more like her in that wig.

I could have come just in my lavender unitard, grey knee-high boots and grey suede elbow-length gloves (with maybe a cheap piece of polyester fabric as a cape) and come as a superhero! I might have placed! ;)

21. LauedGiind

Sep 4, 2002
    If it was the guy dressed as Capt. Jack Sparrow, it would be hard to tell because his costume was very detailed. I can't see the Han guy being Anakin though.

22. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Alright, I usually don't post here. But I do have to say something.

Booberella and the like are fine and good but it's not a serious costuming endeavor. It's amusing and people cheer when stuff is hanging out and there's silliness but really. There are serious costumers out there that get completely overlooked by the ridiculous.

Leslie, the Arwen gown and make-up is amazing. How they missed it is beyond me. And as for throwing out more cleavage, can't see Arwen doing it. I thought you made a fantastic Arwen.

Devon, your hippy jedi deal is cool and clearly took a lot of work.

There should be a seperate category for folks that are serious and those that aren't. It would definately be more appropriate.

As for Captain Jack Sparrow and the Han..they're brothers. Han won Filmcon last year so he didn't entered and his brother won this year. Seemed like cool guys but didn't notice cuteness. What I did notice was Han had a fantastic blaster replica.:)

m

23. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    I agree with all of you went it comes to these contests that are sorely lacking (not that it was Eric's intention that the contest take the rather raunchy direction that it did), but I second your idea, Leslie, about having second, and maybe even third, place offered for each category, to give other costumes that are well-made and detailed the recognition they deserve. And certainly it doesn't stem from being sore losers, but really, must sex always top out in these contests? No, but if you must award sex for the sake of crowd-pleasing, it should be considered separate of the real costumes that are up for competition.

And that brings me to the Han everybody keeps talking about. I'm very curious to see a picture of this guy (I'm trying to envision this person from last year dressed as a Jedi, but there's not much to help me). Leslie, I know you're pics will be developed by this weekend--any chance you got one? I just really need to assuage my curiosity, seeing as how I'm outfitting Bob as Han. In short, it's always good to know what the competition is like. ;)

On a completely different note, there seems to have a been a rush of girls making Ceremonial Gowns in the past couple of weeks. Naboo_Girl just finished one, as well as the famous Ferdalump, of Ferdalump Frumps costuming. And I'm a bit weirded out by that--it's like we were all on the same wavelength or something. If you would like to see them, go here (pardon the need for copy/paste--I'm just too lazy this Friday morning):

http://www.ferdalump.com/leiaceremonial.html - Ferd's recreation

http://www.eastofthewoods.com/medievalcourt/costumes/leia.html - Naboo_Girl's recreation

Having looked over both of them, I can only say that I'm indifferent. They are both good attempts, certainly, but nowhere near the vein of authenticity. Not to brag about mine (which is nearly done; it took me nearly 4 hours to hand-slipstitch one long sleeve last night, but it looks beautifully seamless and thin, which was the whole idea, and I'm a 1/3 of the way through the second), but considering the great lengths I went to in research and muslin work, I think mine is better. But in either case, I'll be having pics taken this weekend and then you can be the judge on that score.

I suppose, if anything, the point of mentioning this coincidence is how everyone suddenly seemed to be doing the same thing I was at roughly the same time. Weird...

24. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    Thanks, Marcy, for your compliments about my Arwen. What can I say? Why was it overlooked? Why are other great costumes overlooked? Only the judges know for sure.

I agree that 1st, 2nd AND 3rd place would be a good idea but there were only 16 contestants this year (compared to over 40 last time). If there aren't enough award-winning contestants in each category then award only the number of certificates that qualify for placing. A Best of Show Award is very good (which was Freddy Kruger) but perhaps a Judge's Choice would be a good idea as well.

My personal feeling is that if the Barbarellas and Dominatrix Nuns of the world didn't win awards then, perhaps, they wouldn't enter the contests. Yeah, they would still walk around the convention titillating the fan boys (and men in general) but at least they wouldn't be taking an award that other, more worthy contestants deserve.

Okay, enough of grousing...

Sorry, Beret, but I don't have a pic of Han...a friend had my camera and was taking pictures for me (no pic of Han but 2, get this! 2 of Barbarella as if I wanted even 1!!!). Egads! What was he thinking?! Well, yeah, okay, I know what he was thinking! [face_plain]

What I forgot to mention, though, was that a Han Solo vest was in the auction and it was won by the Iowa Han for, I think, $35. His outfit did look very good from boots to the top of his head and he did have a very nice blaster as Marcy says! He was taller and thinner than Harrison Ford but his outfit was, I thought, very well done.

25. solo414

Mar 28, 2002
    I wish I had a pic of him. Excellent costume and quite good looking as well. He told me his pants were just blue jeans with navy blue dye added. They looked pulled off the costume rack at Lucasfilm; his whole costume did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.