main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Order 66 on TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by EHT, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    Let's not forget the brainworm incident: If there's something that we clones know, it's how to take down a jedi.

2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Sneak up behind them when they least expect it and pow back of the head. What Tup did does not seem to have much use to it. I wonder if now we will find out the symbolism behind his tears.

3. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm not totally opposed to the brain washing aspect. It sort of reminds me of The Manchurian Candidate with Denzel Washington. That movie definitely wasn't kiddy crap. Maybe most of the clones would willingly follow orders anyway, but those three words ("Execute Order 66) act as a trigger to ensure they follow through with it notwithstanding any attachments they've made with the Jedi. Palpatine might want more insurance that his Jedi purge goes as expected. But I do think it takes away from the ruthless, blind loyalty they have for the chancellor (and then the Emperor) like you said. Good old fashioned propaganda has worked well enough to fashion all sorts of takeovers and dictatorships in the real world and that much should be able to suffice in Star Wars as well. And it's a good point that they will be the bad guys anyway so there's no logic in trying to justify their adherence to betray the Jedi at this point.

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This has inspired me to dig my Order 66 avatar out of my avatar vault. :p

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  5. Why_So_Serious

Why_So_Serious Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 27, 2013
    It's not just the thematic aspects of it. If the clones don't willingly turn their guns on the Jedi on Palpatine's command, then it makes no sense as to why they spent the rest of their lives enforcing his rule, which we all know they do.

eht13 likes this.
  6. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Perhaps the Order 66 programming institutes a permanent mental/personality change.

Another possibility would be that Palpatine from that point on maintained a permanent Dark Side influence on the stormtroopers. Early explanations for the power of the Empire often referred to him holding it together "by sheer force of will" (a concept that later would become known as Battle Meditation). This was in part why the Empire basically fell apart after the Battle of Endor (and Palpatine's death), as he was no longer influencing the military towards cohesion and loyalty.

Certainly, conditioned, weak-minded clones would make that far easier to accomplish.

Then again, it might not have taken all that much to convince the clones that they were doing the right thing for the galaxy. Free-willed men have done as much (and more) than SW clone troopers after being convinced that it was for the good of their nation and/or humanity. Otherwise we would not have had the atrocities of WW 1 and 2, the Soviet Union, Pol Pot's Cambodia, ethnic cleansing in Rwanda and Bosnia, etc.

They never have made it plain "on air", but the EU materials (both pre and post films) make it clear that as much as the galaxy sometimes loved and respected the Jedi, it also hated and feared them, going all the way back to when the Jedi attempted to "ethnically cleanse" the Sith Empire right out of existence in the Old Republic timeline.

7. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    In the real word, I think a teardrop tattoo beneath the eye is meant to symbolise one's first kill or something like that in gang/prison culture. Might be wrong on that, but I think I heard that somewhere. Maybe Tup's design is based around that idea.

Darth Ibonek and Seerow like this.
  8. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    First kill? Definitely makes sense, but if the Clones choose what patterns they want on their helmets, why would he choose a tear? Actually, aren't the main Clones from the 501st the ones with custom patterns on their helmets? I wonder if each of them means something.

9. Kualan

Dec 4, 2008
  10. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Well from reading that, Tup's teardrop could simply mean that he lost one of his close brothers.

Or he dropped the soap in his training facilities...

Sgt Crowfield and Seerow like this.
  11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I wonder if Tup had been in a battle before Umbara. I was under the impression it was his first. Aww thinking back to how cute he was holding on to the handle bar in the gunship with two hands for dear life.

Sgt Crowfield and Kualan like this.
  12. Kualan

Dec 4, 2008
    He definitely had that "new kid" vibe on Umbara I agree, but I think he must have had at least one other battle under his belt for him to have customised his armour in some manner - and none of the others call him "shiny".

13. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Some of the only Clone Troopers with tattoos on their faces are the main Clones of the 501st. Do you think that all or some of them could have a meaning?

Fives - Number "5".
    [​IMG]

Jesse - Republic cog.
    [​IMG]

Hardcase - Stripes.
    [​IMG]

Tup - Tear.
    [​IMG]

Kix - The phrase "A good droid is a dead one" in Aurebesh.
    [​IMG]

Dogma - Red triangular design.
    [​IMG]

14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    -shrug.- He had pretty plain armor except for the tears.

And the 501st boys just like their tatoos. I've always though Fives's trademark 5 looks awesome.

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  15. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
    Jesse's tattoo looks ridiculous no offense. [face_not_talking]

16. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    This reminds me how ****ing stupid these ridiculous tattoos are.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I like Fives' "5" tattoo, but the rest of those are just pretty silly. Talk about overdoing the whole "the Republic allows some room for individual expression" thing. :p

18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    With some Order 66 related content looking likely for the forthcoming TCW Bonus Content, I thought I'd bump this thread for all deeper discussion of Order 66 in TCW. Apparently it's also the place to discuss the clone's tattoos. :p

19. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    If there is going to be an arc related to Order 66 in Season 6(and it looks like there will be), how do you it will be presented?

I know there was a clip released by Filoni that showed a clone(whom I didn't recognize) going into an "anti-Jedi" mode, shooting and killing a Jedi(I didn't recognize her either), then going into his "normal" mode, if this makes sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

20. Kualan

Dec 4, 2008

The clone trooper was Tup, one of the 501st soldiers who featured in the Umbara arc. The Jedi is a brand new character, one of a pair of Jedi sisters.

Padawan Fangirl likes this.
  21. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Ha! I agree, it looks he fell asleep under some shape when it was really hot and got sunburn!

22. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Good idea bumping this thread, eht13. I think there will certainly be a good deal of discussion regarding whether or not the clones are indeed programmed, Manchurian candidate-style, to obey Order 66 when the time comes. TCW already gave the clones more individuality, and as evidenced by arcs like Umbara, the ability to question and even disobey orders. The films and many other EU sources have suggested that all clones are more pliable to obeying orders from the higher chain of command without question; they've been genetically modified to do so. But the clones in TCW are more unquestioningly human, and this does make for an interesting dynamic throughout the show, at least with clones such as Rex and the members of Domino Squad. So in this case, having an order programmed into them to obey does kind of makes sense... I wonder if other clones, perhaps those created later than the original batch birthed in 32 BBY, have a greater propensity for obeying orders. Clones like Appo and perhaps Tup...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I posted this in the TCW Continuity thread at Lit, but I figured it would be more relevant here:

In the Order 66 arc, Anakin goes off to In-N-Out Burger with Tup, Fives, and other clones in his battalion to grab some burgers before the mission.

Anakin: "Alright guys, looks like our order number is 66! Be sure to remember this!"
    [​IMG]

Tup (grabs his head): "I'm not feeling so well, sir..."
    Fives and the other clones follow suit. Anakin goes, "Oh stang."

23. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    I always thought the tattoos went hand in hand with the customization of the armor, and that this was a parallel to the tattoos and armor customization done by U.S. and other countries' combat troops in actual wartime. Just my opinion.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

This is exactly what it is, and it's just awful.

Just my opinion.

25. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    Not trying to be contrary, but why do you think it's awful? Soldiers have been customizing their armor and weaponry for as long as there has been armed conflict. The native Americans were specifically known for their individualistic war paint. Why should the clone troopers be any different?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.