main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Original Trilogy DVD release event

Discussion in 'Archive: Idaho Falls, ID' started by jedi5150, Feb 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi5150

jedi5150 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 4, 2000
    Hi all,
    OK, I know it's a ways off yet (Sept 21), but the 501st Alpine Garrison is planning to make a MAJOR showing during the DVD release this fall. They would like to help get something going up here. So:

Would you be willing to participate?
    Would you make/wear a QUALITY Star Wars costume?
    Where? Hastings? Wal-Mart? Somewhere else?
    What would we do?
    Anyone have any contacts?

The alpine garrison would really like to see things take off up this way, and this could be a great event to promote our toy drive and our club!

I really think we should do this!

2. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    OK Y'all!

Well, I am in discussions with Suncoast in the Grand Teton Mall about an event for the DVD release. I got to speak to the store manager today, and he was VERY excited. I told him what kind of costumes we have, and the quality, and he was way excited. He thinks it could be cool. He said he doesn't forsee any problems but has to clear it with regional management...we talked briefly about a trivia contest and/or a costume contest for the customers (not Costumers..hehe) and he liked those ideas as well. He was also going to visit with mall management about a possible place to change and stow our gear.

He asked what we wanted in return, and I told him just the opportunity to promote our group. He was cool with that, and surprised that we didn't want money or donations to the club or something.

He asked how many people in costume I was talking about. I told him at least 6...which are our locals: 2 jedi, 2 x-wings, 1 imp officer, and Vader. I have invited the Alpine Garrison members from Utah, but they've got a BIG DEAL going on themselves, so I'm not expecting any of them to make the trip...if any of them do, would anybody be willing to help put them up for the night? I could probably let 1 or 2 crash here, but you've all been here and know I'm cramped for space.

We could always use a few volunteers NOT in costume, especially as spotters for those in helmets (Like Vader/Mike), as well as people to possibly help run any contests or other fun activities that might be going on.

So it's not FOR SURE yet, but I should know in the next week or so...

I need to know: What time of the day you would be available to appear, especially if you're going to be in costume...it's a Tuesday, so we might have to juggle work schedules etc. He said he thought it would be best for us to be there first thing when they open which is like 10am...but let me know what you can do, and I'll let him know.

So this is it folks! Our first chance to SHINE! (hear that Mike, get that Vader helmet all polished up so it will SHINE!)

Doug

3. Ariadnae1

Ariadnae1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2003
    I would be willing to help in whatever you need me. It would be cool if we had t-shirts made by then that could be worn by the people not dressed up. I can probably manage to take the whole day off work, if needed.

4. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    Erin,
    Thanks for volunteering!

Yes, I think t-shirts are a MUST HAVE for those volunteering and not in costume...yep yep yep!!! In addition to looking cool, it will show that we are organized and on-the-ball...we'll fool 'em yet ;)

Also, do you think we should get one of these?

http://www.cafeshops.com/ifswa.12590513

Doug

5. Oscar_the_Gungan

Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    I don't think I will have a costume ready by then, but maybe. I know I will have my Revenge of the Sith shirt, and I still have my club T-shirt too and my Celebration II shirt.
    I have one idea to throw out, not sure if its a good idea, but with THX-1138 coming out the week before the OT I wonder if we could do something small that day as kind of a teaser for the next week's big event. just a thought.

6. LoneTrooper

LoneTrooper Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2004
    This is gonna ROCK!
    I really think people are gonna love this when it hits.
    And its gonna spread the word of the group's existence.
    It would be cool if we could get a stormtrooper for the day.
    Maybe someone in the Alpine Garison can lone us one?
    Anyway, I am really looking forward to this.

I guess I should change my screen name, since I wont be a trooper.

7. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    Once things are finalized I get a press release written up and get it sent out to the media. Maybe put a spin on it in regard with the alterations, it could cause the media to follow up and see what we thought of the new set.

8. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    we have to be careful with media coverage as the store manager has to get special permission from management to have photography of any kind in the store...
    I know that seems weird, welcome to the world of corporate franchises. We'll have to discuss this with Suncoast management.

As for THX, I dunno....perhaps. But although THX is Lucas' first film, I'm not sure how much of a general-public draw there will be.

9. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    I like that poster. And it will work for many things. We can post it on our door and EITC and stuff. And if we do more public things, it can be used for that too. I like it. When laura gets back, lets buy it.

10. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    I like the poster too..I'm gonna check a couple more places but for $18.00 it's not bad

11. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    OK, Frank (the store manager) emailed me today. He has received approval from regional management to do this, so it's a GO!

We'll be meeting soon to start working out the details...so everyone get your costumes all polished, ironed, etc!

If anyone who doesn't have a costume would like to work on a costume contact me and we'll see what we can do...

Doug

12. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    I just realized that the new video game "Star Wars Battlefront" is going to be released this same day, September 21...

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swbattlefront/

hmmmm......

Doug

13. Darth_Sayder

Darth_Sayder Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2004
    Interesting, maybe we should talk to the video game store also??
    Eileen and crew are gathering the materials for Vader's body suit and cape, so time permitting, I should see something in a couple of weeks.
    She know there is a definate deadline.
    We are gonna rock the Mall with this.

14. RABIDJAWA

RABIDJAWA Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    I'd like to be involved, but I honestly don't know what I can do to contribute.

15. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    Aside from costuming, we will need "spotters" for anyone in helmets...that's a person that walks with them making sure they don't trip, step on someone, and to make sure no one steals any parts off their costume. Most of the helmets have EXTREMELY limited visibility.

We will also need people to man the recruiting table (I'm hoping to have one), hand out flyers, etc. And gophers...and photographers to take pics for the website/scrapbook. People to talk to the public about the club, answer questions, etc. It's much easier for someone not in costume to do that than someone in a helmet. Of course, as of right now, we only have 1 or 2 helmeted people, but that may change...not sure yet.

In reality, if we have 8 people in costume, we could probably use 4-6 not in costume....

If we do anything like a trivia contest, costume contest for others than ourselves, etc, non-costumed folk can help with that too...

If you'd like to help but aren't sure what you could do, just ask, I'm sure there's something...

16. Darth_Sayder

Jul 28, 2004
    Doug, can we do lightsaber dueling at this event? Or even demonstrations?
    I think that would be way cool, epecially for the kids.

17. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    Interesting you should mention this. The Alpine Garrison is doing this at theirs, and Shawn suggested we do it here as well...He even suggested that Barry coordinate it as he has had martial arts training...has anyone else?

I know a few years ago at disneyworld they had Star Wars weekends and the little kids could get lightsaber training, then at the end of the session, they got to duel with Darth Vader....

We should come up with a list of cool activities/events to present to suncoast as ideas...

So far:

Trivia Contest
    Costume Contest
    Lightsaber dueling/training/demonstration

Any other ideas...

18. RABIDJAWA

RABIDJAWA Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    Do you think they'd let us put up a backdrop and do photo ops? That might be cool...

19. Darth_Sayder

Jul 28, 2004
    So, should I look into ordering one of those FX Sabers like Barry?? I would love to help choreograph a duel demo.
    And the duel with the kids would be fun, as long as they dont think Im Darth Pinata.

20. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    there was a vader saber released....saw one in vegas last fall, it's sweet....on top of being a nice EL saber with sound, the hilt is probably 90% accurate as well :D

Here's one now:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=37891&item=2259663567&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Here's another for $98.00 and $5.00 shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=154&item=7913440865&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Silly me...Master Replicas has them right there on their site:

http://www2.masterreplicas.com/StarWars/SWProduct.aspx?sItemID=SW-202

I'll probably have my blue one by then as well...

Doug

21. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    I do think we ought to get together at someone's place and watch one of the film's together as a club that night. What does anyone think?

22. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    Considering we will probably be at suncoast until closing (at least those of us participating), I'm not sure that will work.

23. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    I just wanted to say that I intend to continue to coordinate this event with Suncoast Management. Unless there are concerns/reservations, I will be coordinating this representing the Alpine Garrison, as the costumers I believe all belong to that organization.

All members of the IFSWA are invited to join us in
    this event as a joint effort.

To eliminate the need to double-post all updates, all updated info on this event will be posted in this thread at the Alpine Garrison, Idaho squad:

http://alpinegarrison.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=935

Thanks all, May the Force be With You...

Doug

24. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    Well, since we aren't allowed to post under his new topic, what the heck do we do? I can't even ask him if he will be willing to let us still promote the club. If he doesn't, since this is now a Garrison thing, should we help him?

This whole resignation thing has me a bit torqued.

25. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    I merely stated that all UPDATES will be posted in that thread, meaning as I get info from Suncoast, I will be posting it there. There are other members of the IFSWA that are members of the Alpine Garrison (and have been for some time) that have access to the Alpine Garrison boards who could act as a liason (see my post in my resignation thread). In fact, Erik has a logon ID on the Garrison boards as well, because Erik is the one who initiated contact with them in the first place, a year ago, regarding the Sugar City parade. So there are IFSWA members who already have the ability to post there.

I truly hope that this will be a joint event. I will be representing the Garrison. I believe that other costumed indivuals will also choose to represent the Garrison, but that's up to them. If the IFSWA wants to select a representative who could meet with Suncoast with me, I think that would be good. I don't even know if there will be space for any recruiting tables, but I suspect that if there is, there will be only one, so I would hope that Alpine Garrison and the IFSWA could share the space equally. If there is not a table, then IFSWA members could hand out flyers etc, right along with the Garrison, IF we get clearance from Suncoast to do so.

Just a refresher, ALL I know right now is that we have permission to do SOMETHING at Suncoast SOMETIME during the day of September 21st, and we will in some way be allowed to promote our organizations.

Ways that I think the IFSWA could participate:

-Act as spotters for Garrison costumed folk (especially those in helmets)
    -Meet/Greet customers and those interested in who we are, then direct them to the proper "recruiter"
    -Hand out flyers etc advertising the IFSWA
    -help run a photo op booth (sorry Adam, somehow I missed your post, I think this is a GREAT idea).
    -run other activies such as a trivia contest, costume contest, etc...

Basically, some of us (Garrison for sure, possibly IFSWA members as well) will be in costume, and will PROBABLY spend most of the time posing for pics and talking to people about the costumes..I've been to garrison events and that's what happens. So if Suncoast wants any other activities, that's where the IFSWA comes in. At least in my mind. Basically no different than what we had originally planned, except 2 organizations will be represented, not one.

If something here is confusing let me know. If you have ideas, questions, concerns, etc post here. I'll be checking in here to see what's up. When there's news to report, I will post here stating that there's an update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.