main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OT: Down With Love

Discussion in 'Archive: King of Prussia, PA' started by Calixte, May 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calixte

Calixte Jedi Youngling star 4

May 3, 2002
    For those of us old enough to remember watching Doris Day/Rock Hudson movies on Sunday afternoons when we were children, Down With Love is a fun, reminiscince of the kind of comedy we used to watch during a more innocent time. HOWEVER, the plot does revolve around the sexual revolution and women's equality more blatantly than the movies of old. What is absolutely fantastic though is the total absence of any nudity or a sex scene. The film manages to pull off a total spoof of every classic romantic comedy from the 1960's era without resorting to cheesiness (at least not the kind that's painful), but instead, perfectly portrays all the best of those romantic comedies while adapting to the present-day culture of heavy sexual innuendo, in a very tongue in cheek manner. I have to say I absolutely roared through this movie and want to see it again. Ewan MacGregor does a 'Rock Hudson' so well it made me want to go back and watch Pillow Talk the moment I got home.

If you are under the age of 25 and plan to go see this movie, bone up on your 1960's classic comedies like "Pillow Talk", "That Touch of Mink" and other Doris Day classics. You will not get the inside jokes otherwise. If you are over 25, go see this movie ASAP. You will laugh so hard your stomach will hurt for a week. Truly the BEST romantic comedy I have seen in years!! An intelligent comedy with a fabulous cast (including a cameo by Tony Randall) that deserves major kudos at the next Oscar's.

Not only that but the costumes were divine!

~Jenni

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.