main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OT - The Last Patrol Trailer

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by The Jedi Apprentice, Apr 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jedi Apprentice

The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 1999
  2. darthdastoli

darthdastoli Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2000
    I like it. I assume there will be muzzle flashes for the guns in the final.

Are there going to be any airplanes?

3. The Jedi Apprentice

Nov 29, 1999
    Glad you liked it! Yes, and yes. :) There's one short scene involving P-47s.

4. Jedi_Master_dude

Jedi_Master_dude Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 2001
    Sweet! when will it be out!

5. Cawin

Cawin Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2002
    I liked the trailer!
    I can't wait to see the movie. So, when are you planning on releasing it?

6. The Jedi Apprentice

Nov 29, 1999
    Whoops, knew I forgot something. Should be out around the second week of May.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions. :)

7. Jedi_Master_dude

Jedi_Master_dude Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 2001
  8. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    pretty cool, I want to make a war film after my SW film, it would be perfect! There is an airforce base like 5 minutes from my house. And there is a nice golf course thats all forest like right behind my house, hmm can't wait :p

9. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    it's nice that 4 percent of your post was about HIS film that he has something to SHOW, macho.

Anywyas, just watched it... the filming looked great... it really had the feel of a war movie...

Some little things:
    The edit where he hits the guy with the gun could be a bit smoother... I couldn't tell, but try adding a few frames or taking away a few frames for a clear transition between the swing up to the hit.

There was one shot I think I saw a building... try airbrushing it. (shouldn't be hard, it's just sky around it)

Overall, very nicely done... I think it could have used some sound effects, blood and muzzle flashes, but I think this looks like a nice movie on our hands.

Is this yours JA???

Cya
    Mike

10. The Jedi Apprentice

Nov 29, 1999
    Thanks. Yes, The Last Patrol is my film.

And yeah, a little bit of building snuck into one of the shots. And you're right it won't be hard to remove.

You know, I tried adding in sound fx to the trailer, but I felt it ruined the emotion of the music. The final film will definitely have sound and video fx, and less music during the battle sequences, ala Saving Private Ryan.

11. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    I hope you'll let us know when it's out. Or is there a website that we can check at?

Chris
    War is awful, yet somehow poetic. Good trailer!

12. Darth_Lord

Darth_Lord Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 29, 2000
    ah!
    Now that's a excellent movie (trailer ;) )

I like the costumes, and most of all you weapons !
    they look very realistic !

I also Like the explosions (how did you do this ?)
    And the music, is it Private Ryan music ?

Excellent job guys
    keep up the good work

13. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    I just wanna say that I really did enjoy that trailer. I await the movie with MUCH anticipation!! Good job JA.

14. The Jedi Apprentice

Nov 29, 1999
    Thanks for all the kind words, guys!

I hope to have a website up soon, with more information about the film. I'll let you know when I do.

The explosions were done with simply a board, rock, and some dirt. Lay the board on the ground, pivet it in the middle with a rock, put some dirt on one end of the board, and then run and step on the other end, sending the dirt flying into the air. That's it. Got the idea from Steven Spielberg, via the Saving Private Ryan DVD. Took some practice, but worked well.

The music is from Saving Private Ryan and The American President.

15. The Jedi Apprentice

Nov 29, 1999
    Updated trailer w/ muzzle flashes. Workin' on that website too!

16. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    how did you do your muzzle flashes? I'm just curious because it was something I was figuring out a while back on my mgs film... I just like to know how other people go about it.

Cya
    Mike

17. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Cool, but I got 2 beefs. :D

First thing is that the whole time the SPR music kept me from enjoying the trailer as an original piece. Don't get me wrong, the music is great, but it's like saying it's a SPR fan film, know what I mean? Like the film was created just to try to be SPR. I think if a more obscure piece were used, I at least, would have thought more highly of the trailer (as a real film) as I watched.

Second thing. I feel like I just saw the whole film. It kind of gave me the impression that it's less than 5 minutes long and is 95% shooting out in the field/forrest. I think a variety in location would go a long way.

Costumes, props, etc. are great.
    Muzzle flashes are alright.

PS. Pretty young little soldiers out there, eh? :p N, no, it's cool. :)

18. The Jedi Apprentice

Nov 29, 1999
    The muzzle flashes were created in photoshop frame by frame.

The music during the battle sequences is actually from the movie 'The American President.' I chose that music becuase it's emotional, uplifting, it has a lot of feeling to it. Original music will be composed for the final film.

Trust me, you didn't see all of the film, it'll be 15 to 20 minutes long, and 100% of it is in the wilderness. Only the second half is action. It's a good script, there's more than just fighting.

Oh, and we're all 18 or 19, just about the age a lot of soldiers were in WWII.

19. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    You know, if this was a Star Wars film, you'd probably end up copping a bit of flack for the location you've used there ;)

Anyway, it's looks quite impressive. Something different to look forward to. What actual WW2 battle is it based around?

20. Jedi_Cougar

Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    Well done trailer.

If that was shot on 35mm film, you'd be pretty close to what the real things often look like.

Two thumbs up

21. Darth Venom

Darth Venom Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 1999
    JA nice work man, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. I have 2 questions though:

1. Where did you get your weapons, it was hard to tell, but was that a Springfield .03 that one of the characters has?

2. You're "German" officer looks a little...too hollywood. An officer in the field would be wearing his field gear, unless of course you're assaulting an HQ position.

I'm a German Re-enactor so if you have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to help.

P.S. I'm also working on a WWII film, when I have some footage I'll post it and let you folks check it out.

22. Redshirt

Redshirt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    I thought it was very well put together, but there were some major problems in general.

The actors seem a bit to "clean." If there was a war going on, i doubt they would have ample time to comb their hair, cleanly shave, and take a shower. their costumes also seem rather well pressed.

Asside from that, the cinematography is excellent! And the story looks exceptionally well throught out. the cuts, fades, etc are absolutely wonderful. This is really a first rate job.

can't wait to see the final project.

ok then

red

23. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    I like "Hollywood". He looks fine for the part, imho. :)

Chris
    Not a WW2 Reenactor

24. HocFutue

HocFutue Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2001
    Regarding the rifles, Parris toy clicker rifles, by the look and heft of them, not an '03. But based on the '03 Springfield.

Effects looked pretty good--the board and dirt trick is an oldie but a goodie. Well done.

Another fun one to try has been used since silent Westerns. Guy off camera has a slingshot and small pieces of chalk. Your hero is behind a rock, or wall or something, and the slingshot guy zings the chalk into the wall. Makes a nice bullet hit, without having to rig squibs.

Looks like you had fun making that. Once I get my SW film in the can, the next project is a WWII film, too.

And get those soldiers a haircut! ;-)

Hoc

25. Darth Venom

Darth Venom Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 1999
    LOL, yeah, get those soldiers some haircuts :) (reenactor humor)

Seriously though, by "hollywood" I meant that the German officer looks a little...not right. His hair is a little long and the outfit, as I said earlier, is a little off. This is fine, but it detracts from the suspension of disbelief that is necessary in films like this.

Overall though, I think it looks good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.