main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Overjoyed (Luke/Mara/Dankin songfic) - complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tarsier, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Title: Overjoyed
    Author: Tarsier
    Timeframe: New Republic era, slight AU
    Characters: Mara, Luke, Dankin
    Genre: runs the spectrum from angst to mush; songfic
    Summary: Luke and Dankin: Each would be overjoyed to be closer to Mara. Three-shot.
    Notes: Based on the lyrics to "Overjoyed" by Matchbox Twenty

Feeling my hands start shaking
    Hearing your voice I'm overjoyed
    I'm sorry but I have no choice
    You're only getting better

“Dankin.”

At the sound of her voice, Dankin couldn’t help but smile. He loved it when she said his name.

“How much longer?” she asked.

He glanced at the display before him. “Two and a half hours.”

“Very good,” she said, and turned to leave. She paused, turned back around. “I don’t know if I ever properly acknowledged that impressive bit of flying you did back there. You really saved our hides. You’re a Hoth of a pilot, Dankin.”

Dankin was glad she immediately left the bridge. She didn’t see the grin on his face, or the way his hand shook as he ran it through his hair.

~*~

“Skywalker.”

Luke beamed at the sound of her voice. In truth, he was surprised to see her here, at the academy. But it was a very welcome surprise. “I didn’t know you’d be delivering the supplies yourself, Mara.”

She shrugged. “It was on the way.”

There was silence for a moment. A somewhat awkward silence Luke belated realized, having been distracted by just how brightly the colors of Mara’s hair blazed in the bright sunlight. “Well, I’m glad you came,” he hurriedly added. “I don’t suppose you’d be able to stay for a few days?”

She looked coolly at him. “I might have a day or two.”

It took every modicum of strength for Luke to match Mara’s subdued tone. “We’d be happy to have you.”

Maybe you have your reasons
    Maybe you're scared you'll be let down
    Are you crying when there's no one around?

Luke stared blankly across the landing field. What exactly he’d done wrong, he didn’t know. But somehow Mara was gone in a huff and he was pretty sure it was his fault.

All he’d done was encourage her to open up about her past. Not even to him necessarily. He was not interested in judging the actions of his students; he only wished them to reflect on the path that brought them where they were today. But as soon as he had suggested the assignment to the small group of gathered students, Mara had glared at him and stalked out of the room. After he’d finished with the other students, he found her at her ship, starting up the engines. When he asked her where she was going, why she was leaving so suddenly, she snarled something about having work to do.

“I’m sorry, Mara,” he whispered to no one. “I didn’t mean to scare you off.” He sighed and turned toward the building behind him. He didn’t regret her leaving as much as the realization that she didn’t trust him. And the fact that she still carried pain far deeper than he’d previously understood. Pain he could do nothing to assuage.

~*~

Mara was unhappy. It wasn’t obvious, at least not to most people. But Dankin could tell. She was quiet. Not that she was usually particularly talkative, but she was even more concise than usual. And though her tone was carefully controlled as always, it just wasn’t quite the same.

She’d been this way since returning from the Jedi Academy. At present she had retreated to her private quarters. Taking a deep breath, Dankin tapped softly on her door.

“Yes?” her low reply came.

“It’s me,” Dankin said, knowing Mara would recognize his voice. When she gave no further response, he added, “I brought you some hot chocolate. I’ll leave it at the door.”

“Wait,” Mara replied and opened the door. “Come in.”

“Thank you,” he said, handing her a steaming mug and taking a step inside.

Moments later, they were seated around a low table, Dankin on a soft couch and Mara in a form-chair. Silence prevailed as they stared into their respective drinks.

After a while, Mara spoke. “I’m sorry I was short with you before.”

“It’s okay. I know…” Mara gave Dankin a sharp glance, stopping him mid-sentence. Opting not to finish the sentence, he softly repeated, “I know.”

Mara’s gaze softened and she faintly nodded. They finished their drinks without speaking again. As he was rising to leave, Mara placed a hand on Dankin’s shoulder. “Thank you,” she whispered.

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Like this muchly tarsier :D Eagerly awaiting part 2 [face_dancing]

3. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Thanks so much for commenting, Jade_eyes! I'm glad you like it :)

So, I guess I lied before - this is actually going to be a three-shot, not a two-shot (sorry!).

Then maybe, maybe
    If you hold me, baby
    Let me come over
    I will tell you
    Secrets
    Nobody knows
    I cannot over-state it
    I will be overjoyed

Sometimes Dankin thought about what he would to say her. If he wasn’t afraid. Fearlessness. That was the quality he most admired in Mara. And the quality that he himself was utterly lacking.

He would tell her anything, everything if she asked. Even the dark things, the things he wouldn’t dare utter to another soul. But why would she ever ask?

He wanted her to know that he would listen. If ever she wanted to talk about it, about the things that kept her up at night, the things that caused her to retreat to the training room and beat the remotes senseless in the middle of the night. Because often he was awake too, in the small hours of the night.

He wanted to tell her that sometimes the gentle padding of her feet as she paced in the next room soothed his own turmoil and allowed him to drift back to sleep. Nothing would make him happier than to be able to repay the favor.

~*~

Luke had to get her back. He couldn’t just leave things as they were. But what could he say that wouldn’t sound like he was pressuring her? That wouldn’t scare her off for good?

He meditated on the question often, to no avail. Eventually he decided he must do something a bit more proactive. He decided to ask his sister.

“Well,” Leia said, “I think the real question is why are you so determined that Mara return to the academy at all?”

“Because,” Luke began, then stopped short. It was a simple enough question, one he ought to be able to answer easily. So why was it so hard to find the right words?

Leia raised her eyebrows. “I guess you have a new question to meditate on.”

The answer, when it came to him, was both startling and obvious. The simple truth was he wanted Mara to return because he liked her. He enjoyed her company. Despite her sharp tongue and intense demeanor, he felt at ease with her. Like they were old friends. Like he could be perfectly himself around her, without worrying that he would disappoint her expectations.

Funny, that she so clearly did not feel the same way toward him.

That smile on your face like summer
    The way that your hand keeps touching mine
    Let me be the one to make it right

They were together again. Circumstances were not ideal—an assignment gone bad that led to a rescue mission—but Luke discovered that he didn’t really care. Mara was with him and that was all that mattered.

“How exactly are we going to get out of here?” Mara’s query interrupted his thoughts. She was peering ominously into the darkness as she spoke. It was impossible to see more than a few feet in any direction, the only light provided by the glowstick in Luke’s hand. He couldn’t help but notice how the soft light gave Mara’s familiar features an unusual contrast.

“Carefully?” Luke suggested with a shrug, looking around at the rocky ground covered alternately with stalagmites and various puddles of indeterminate depth.

She twisted her lip into a sour expression. She opened her mouth to speak, with what was surely a sarcastic retort, but then seemed to think better of it. Instead, she favored him with a small smile. “At least we don’t have to drag that blasted droid of yours with us this time.” Then she reached over and yanked the glowstick out of his hand.

Luke did his best to suppress his thrill at the contact, focusing instead on following closely as Mara picked her way through the treacherous terrain.

~*~

Sunshine. Filtered through fluttering leaves, it traced ever-changing patterns on everything below, including Mara’s flawless skin. Dankin noticed the play of light and shadow, but only distantly. Mostly he was captivated by the lush emerald of her eyes. She gazed back at him, a shy smile tugging at her lips. He held her hand in his, pulled her closer—

And suddenly, the light fell out of her eyes, and she fell away from him. He screamed. He grabbed for her, but she slipped through his grasp like the smoothest silk.

She was gone. Lost. Forever out of reach.

Dankin awoke, his sheets twisted and soaked in sweat. He sat up, shivering uncontrollably. He breathed deeply. It was just a dream.

All of it, just a dream.

4. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Interesting..so this relationship Dankin has with Mara...is he imagining it?

5. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Not quite sure how to answer that. The only actual dream is the very last section above. Thanks for reading!

And if you want we'll share this life
    Any time you need a friend I'm gonna be by your side
    When nobody understands you

Well. I. do.

He asked and she said yes. They would be together forever. He would never again be alone, never be without her. Luke couldn’t believe his good fortune.

It had started with a kiss, deep in the darkness. No, it had started before that. It had started with understanding, brought on by brutal honesty. And then the attack, the attack they hadn’t thought they’d survive. Somehow they’d saved each other. Then, they lay in each other’s arms, shaking and bloody. Finally, the kiss. He didn’t know who started it. If pressed, he would say they both had. In exactly the same moment they’d moved toward each other, neither of them even thinking about it, just doing it.

He hadn’t proposed until they were out, until they were under the sun once again. But he’d never doubted her answer. From that moment he’d known. Known they would be together, always.

…I would be
    Over-joyed…

Though the Wild Karrde was docked, Dankin sought the sanctuary of the bridge. He felt most at home when he was flying, and sitting in the pilot’s seat, even when the ship was powered-down, made him feel like he was in control. At least it usually did. Not today. The bridge, the pilot’s seat, the controls at his fingertips, none of it brought him any comfort.

He read the words—fancy, scripted letters—for the hundredth time.

You’re invited…to the union…

Mara Jade and Luke Skywalker.

Dankin crumpled the invitation in his palm. Mara was gone. Not gone out of the universe (thank the Force for that) but forever lost to him. He may never even see her again. Certainly he would never be close to her. Would never be able to tell her how much she meant to him. He didn’t know what was worse—never telling her how he felt, or knowing that it wouldn’t have mattered if he had.

fin

6. Demendora

Demendora Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2010
    I can understand Dankin's feelings, because I watched my beloved marrying my friend. Unrequited love hurts.

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful posts Tarsier. Loved L/M on a mission & how that transpired - SQUEE! Enjoyed knowing more about Dankin and his unrequited feelings for Mara ... :( I'm not surprised - she's quite remarkable. :D

Excellent =D=

8. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Started reading this during my little one's nap, but only got half way through part 2. (I hear someone shouting "MOMMY!" ;) ) I'll read the rest later, really like it so far!!

9. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That last line was heartbreaking. Well done! =D=

10. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Okay, I was able to finish! Poor Dankin. You have to feel for him. The line about her slipping about like the smoothest of silks was especially well written. I like the slow build up to L/M here, with Luke making some harsh realizations. A sweeter love for the time put into it. Nice short-story!!

11. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    :([:D]

Mara is indeed remarkable. :) Dankin adores Mara, but I think he can find someone better suited for him romantically.;) Thank you!!

Thank you!

When it comes to L/M I definitely like a slow build up. :) Thank you for your comments!