main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme AOTC Battle Outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Dorme, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    I am looking forward to seeing it in person since I couldn't make out much on the belt from the pics. I have found some patterns from Kwik Sew that may work for those wishing to sew tops and pants.

Dorme,
    I've seen some cotton/lycra blends online that I think would work well. They are stretchy but aren't shiny like regular lycra. The armbands, folks have used a number of things. Aluminum flashing which is thin and gat be bought at a hardware store would work but be caareful of sharp edges. Premo Sculpey would work, making a band out of plastic or fabric and covering with a silver material such as lame or swimsuit material would work(I found a silver swimsuit material I am using for a belt)

2. jeditrainee

jeditrainee Jedi Master star 1

Dec 3, 1999
    Hi, everybody. This is my first post on this board but I've been reading and I admire everybody's work and dedication. Just wanted to let you know that entertainmentearth.com has pictures of the new costumes available in June. Might serve you as reference but I'm sure all yours will be better!

Padmé Battle

Queen Amidala Supreme

3. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Here's a new pic that shows the cape texture really really well!

EDIT: here...finally got it to embed into the post...

[image=http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/c60cd515/bc/Padme/queenofthedesert.jpg?bc78mF9AbrQgD_qZ]

4. ladystar

ladystar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2001
    That's a great shot of the cape Mrs M. I'll have to print that photo out and take that with me on my next visit to JoAnn's to see what I can come up with.

After looking at the battle outfit being made by Rubies, I am quite happy with mine more now than I ever was before. I may not be a really good seamstress but my costume cost a lot less than that one by Rubies and it was a total blast putting it together (due to the fact that my kids actually showed some interest in my 'crazy' habit :)).
    Though I did like the Supreme Queen one, just not the $750.00 price tag.

5. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    Well, the rubies version isn't bad, the blet looks pretty good but I don't care for the cape. Great Pic MrsMN. I was thinking about using that fake lambswool fabric for this cape if I can't find something close to this. What do ya'll think about it?

6. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    I'll rather let my body Breath especially that Singapore been getting warm spell these days. :(

Will continue and finish this project after Tuesday and my exam . . . .

7. Miriamidala

Miriamidala Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2000
    Hey guys...I am doing this costume a bit late, but would appreciate any help you guys can give me. I was going to go look for pants to buy, and a shirt, but how do you get those seams in the shirt, and the collar? That seems to be my only problem.

As for the hair, fortunately, I can use my own. :)

8. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    I'm thinking of using cording under the shirt and sewing over it from the front.

9. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Yeah, I had that same idea in mind, except use bias tape. :)

"Great minds" and all that, eh MiraxH? ;)

kreleia ^.^

10. AZDaizy

AZDaizy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 30, 2002
    Hey guys...
    Okay, it was a last minute decision to make this costume, but I've really lucked out! I found this pattern for the cape..Butterick #3345...all I gotta do is maybe lengthen it a little, and connect the front. For the material I'm using this chenille bed sheet...it's not perfect but I like it. All I need is some shinguards and armbands...I found pants and a shirt rather easily, and some boots on sale at Robinson's May. They aren't perfect, but I was super lucky since now it's spring and all stores are selling are sandals!
    ~Ali~

11. AZDaizy

Apr 30, 2002
    Hey again...

I don't know if you've already discussed this, but I was looking at the Visual Dictionary very closely, and it seems that Padme's armbands have...separate plates of metal. I was thinking they were separate plates of metal maybe connected with elastic, so that it fits over the arm easily. What do y'all think?

~Ali~

12. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    It was mentioned in the much earlier posts. :)

I was thinking to doing the same as the Armbands in my case keep slipping off to below my elbows. But how do you think we can glue to elastic band to under the band in between the seamline? ;)

13. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I would put two "bars" on the underside of the arm band plates, that elastic could be threaded through. Does that make sense? Then you could just sew the two elastic ends together and have a stretchy arm band that could be pulled on and still shrink back to fit your arm tightly.

This would also solve the circulation problems mentioned above!

14. Forja-Bingbey

Forja-Bingbey Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2002
    Hello Everyone,

First, I just want to say that all of your ideas and costumes look great. This is why I need your help.

Let me tell you a little bit about who I am, and what I hope to accomplish from writing this post. I am a manager of a small chain theatre in Daytona Beach, Fl. and I am trying to do the impossible. I am trying to outfit about 22 employees in various costumes for the opening weekend. One of them being a girl who really wants to dress as Padme in the Battle Arena costume. After reading through all the posts I told her to look for the Pants and Top at any local store, something off the rack. She has boots and the figure to sport such an outfit and is willing to make whatever is necessary to complete it. So, I need help on how to quickly put together the following items...

1. The Belt and Pouches
    2. The infamous Arm-Bans
    3. Cape
    4. Any tips on the hair style
    5. Any tips on spray painting boots

Again, I am really trying to get everyone ready, study for finals, run the theatre and trying to remember to eat & sleep. So, and help here would be hot.

15. AZDaizy

Apr 30, 2002
    Yeah! that sounds good...if what I'm envisioning is what you're talking about. I was thinking of bending sheet metal over on both ends, then stringing through some elastic. But then again...I have absolutely no experience with sheet metal, so I have no idea if that would work!

~Ali~

16. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    As for the hairstyle, check out the third page of the female hairstyles thread. tennispadme and Jedi Girl of Corellia both have offered suggestions of how to do the Arena hairstyle near the bottom of the page.

17. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    [image=http://img.stopklatka.pl/galeria/rysunki/00000/00030/g-39.jpg]

AWWWW! So cute!!!

18. AZDaizy

Apr 30, 2002
    ::dreamy sigh:: They would make such a cute couple. In real life that is...anyways, after getting my head out of the clouds...is it just me or in that picture does her shirt look more creamy than white compared to the pants? In all the pictures the colors all seem so different! Sometimes the belt looks super white, other times it looks creamish. Maybe I should get my eyes checked :(

19. StarBlazer

StarBlazer Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    You're not alone, AZDaizy! I almost went crazy trying to figure out what parts were darker than the rest. 8-} I'm almost finished with this costume, it's not perfectly accurate, but It'll do fine I guess... I'll try and post a picture when I finish it. :)

*SB*

20. AZDaizy

Apr 30, 2002
    Looks all white to me in this one:
    Voila

However, for my costume, I have a cream belt/pouches, boots, and cape. Ah well!

~Ali~

21. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    I must had been dreaming these few weeks. :eek: Only today I noticed that Padme's Pants also got a seam going down the center of her legs making the pants having 4 seams on each leg. [face_blush]

Saw it on this big poster (the characters in front of line of Jedi Knights) while getting my Charity Premiere Ticket. ;)

22. Miriamidala

Miriamidala Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2000
    Well, I found the perfect pants and boots, I just have to paint the boots and get the shinguards from my fiance. I also found the perfect material for the cape. It is a waffle-something patterned blanket (bought 2 of them) and they are a very light cream color. I was thinking of dyeing them darker, but I am not exactly sure how to dye fabric. Any suggestions? And I am still stuck on the shirt thing, I have no more ideas for that, and I have looked everywhere for a shirt that resembles it. It is so HOT here in Texas at this time of year, that there are no places that have long sleeved shirts. Good thing I am going to Alaska soon. :)

I bought some leather stuff to make the belt, and have made pouches out of plastic mould. I have my gun, just have to paint it in that shiny silver.

I saw a pic of Amidala and Anakin on Tatooine and it looked like she was carrying a type of hat in her hand. Anyone know what pic I am talking about. I will try to find it and post it in a bit. Okay...here it is:
    http://www.natalieportman.com/images/movies/swep2/034.jpg

Well, if anyone has any suggestions for me, I would really REALLY appreicate it. Thanks. :)

23. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I don't think that's a helmet -- I think she's just holding the drape of her cloak in her hand.

That pic is great though! I hadn't seen it in such high res before! It will be helpful when I make this costume!

24. StarBlazer

StarBlazer Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    Well, I finally finished it! It's not the best, but it's pretty good for my first try at costuming...

Copy and past the addresses...

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ffden/vwp?.dir=/Costumes&.src=gr&.dnm=SB%27s+Padme+3.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ffden/lst%3f%26.dir=/Costumes%26.src=gr%26.view=t

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ffden/vwp?.dir=/Costumes&.src=gr&.dnm=SB%27s+Padme+4.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ffden/lst%3f%26.dir=/Costumes%26.src=gr%26.view=t

*SB*

25. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    Looks great SB! Great job on the cape especially.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.