main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme Purple Dress - Loyalist Committee

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Mrs_MayimNaar, Feb 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Polly_Padme

Polly_Padme Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2008
    OMG,spacelady!Thanks very-very much for your words!That's so happy to me.
    Kay_Dee,what you can say about Silk Twill?)

2. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Silk twill probably wouldn't be my first choice. The real costume is not a silk twill. It might look OK as a substitute, I really don't know because I don't have those swatches in my hands to see what they are really like.

3. Polly_Padme

Jun 6, 2008
    Ok,I must start my progress with that gown.I'am found a manufacturer in China,which produce fabric for overcoat.I think about,how to Dye in color that velvet...May be some tests with dyeing can help me)
    So,about fabric for inner dress - I'am find very close fabric and here is a pics of swatches:

Heavy Silk taffeta
    [image=http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/Padmochka/Fabrics/heavysilktaffeta.jpg]

Heavy spun Silk
    [image=http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/Padmochka/Fabrics/heavyspunsilk.jpg]

Heavy taffeta rep
    [image=http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/Padmochka/Fabrics/heavytaffetarepp.jpg]

One problem which I have - I don't work with photoshop and have a problems with tabard embroidery:_|
    And...I need your help,girls.Who can explain how to make overcoat?What pattern I must use for base?Anybody can draw picture or sketch for patterns?..If anybody can only draw a picture of patterns for overcoat I'll be happy!))
    I find some good historic patterns for that gown,like that:
    [image=http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/Padmochka/Fabrics/mm15002.jpg]
    [image=http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/Padmochka/Fabrics/mm15003.jpg]
    And last problem - I'am very look a like Natalie Portman and have her growth - 1m 65cm high.And problem with farthingale - I'am very want to make original size of it.Kay_Dee,can you say what size each ring in farthingale have original?

4. Polly_Padme

Jun 6, 2008
    Kay_Dee,Can I used your pattern embroidery for tabard?@};-:*

5. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    The heavy taffeta sample looks like the right texture and sheen for the inner dress fabric. Sorry, I can't help you with the embroidery Polly. I gave you suggestions last year when you e-mailed me. You don't have to have a program like photoshop to do it. It's not that hard to print up reference photos and trace over them, or draw it yourself by looking at all of the reference photos. That's what most of us have done.

6. Cleopatramwi

Cleopatramwi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2006
    Use the enlarge function on a photocopier. It's not difficult.

7. Polly_Padme

Jun 6, 2008
    Oh...I'am trying to work with photoshop today...Not happy but...I done all patterns for embroidery!)
    Kay_Dee,what do you think about Heavy spun silk?Is that has a right texture like original fabric?..In store heavy silk taffeta cost about 92$\yard and it in white only...Very expensive,but I think it's very close fabric for inner dress.I can asembly two patterns or may be three - It's very easy.But,I never makes costumes with 3 layer of fabric,just like on that overcoat.I think,that Alter Ego dyes can help with finding identicate color of overcoat..
    May be...Easy way for making ovecoat pattern - just use jacket pattern for base)

8. AnariaZar-Rel

AnariaZar-Rel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2004
    I'd love the chance to make this dress, so if it helps get the fabric ordered, I'm in - put me down for 15 meters too :)

9. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Heavy spun silk may be too dull. If you can please post the actual fabric store you found that photo from it would help me and others here, because for all I know I own the swatch or someone else does. But I need to know what your source is to tell you for sure if it is a possible match or a bad choice.

10. Polly_Padme

Jun 6, 2008
    Kay_Dee,that's store in our country and it didn't got a site or any contacts in internet...:_|
    I have now only one problem with farthingale.As I said,I have 165cm growth,like Natalie Portman has.I want to make original size farthingale like Portman wear.I need only one thing - measures of 6 rings.Because,my comupter yesterday catch a virous so I can't work on it.Kay_Dee,do you now original ring sizes?..You're my muse for that gown[face_blush]@};-
    I have many problems but at now it go away from me))One little problem - it's only farthingale.

11. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    1. princessleia911 15 meters
    2. PadmeAndrea 15 meters
    3. Jocell 15 meters
    4. Nani 15meters
    5. fairyprincess 15 meters
    6. AnariaZar-Rel 15 meters

Pre-ordered so far: 90 meters
    Needed: 200 meters
    Only need 110 meters more so let's keep the word out and the price will be about the same.

12. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Polly, Kay-Dee's measurements wil be w3ay different than yours, she's taller. Why don't you try reading throught this thread, print out pages, take notes.

How are you on the computer if yours is broken? How were you working on a photoshop version of the embroidery if you don't have photoshop?

Don't expect everyone on this board to just hand over information that a lot of us had to find on our own. Costuming is an art, it takes time, patience, and LOTS of research. Take your time and read the thread and take notes. Make sketches like the rest of us have. I know I've been researching this gown for 6 years and still don't feel like I've gathered all the information needed to start it yet.

All of us started out somewhere, and over time we've all gotten better. Patience youngling.

13. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Wow Polly, those all looked like very professional fabric photos to me, like something from a web site. Not just something you took yourself when you walked into a store in Russia? Didn't someone give those to you, or you had to find them on the internet?

Sorry, I don't know what the size of each hoop would be on the real costume. It's not like any of us have taken a tape measure to the real costume and measured any of this. You have to make your farthingale and then play with it yourself until you think it looks correct. I believe on my web site I have given the name of the pattern I used. Use that and adjust it to your size.

14. Polly_Padme

Jun 6, 2008
    Kay_Dee,I'am going to shop with my friend - she has a professional photo technique and she's a professional photographer.Why it turnes so good photos.I good photographer too,but don't have good photo-techique.
    So,she give me here notebook where she has a photoshop so she exlain me how to work with that))
    Ok,I undestand - Now I make all need patterns for costume and need to buy all fabrics.
    Princessleia911,please,write me in list of "flame" buyers too.I need - 20 meters.

15. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    So, you say your friend took those photos? That first one looks a LOT like the one on this site http://www.macculloch-wallis.co.uk/Product.aspx/SilkDoupion!61003X o_O. Are you going to tell us that your 'friend' works for that place now?

Polly, people here don't mind helping, but you really need to get your act together and get your 'stories' straight. Do the research yourself, if there is something you can't quite get, ask. But... do NOT ask everyone here for everything without really doing much research.

I'm sorry if you will find this offensive, but I'm tired of seeing my friends on here taken advantage of. Some of us have spent years researching one costume and even longer building it. We are pretty close-knit here, that took time. Some of have never even met in person, but would probably trust each other more than some of our own family members.

Maybe you do look like Natalie Portman... good for you. Some people insist I look like Carrie Fisher, I don't go boasting about it in every post I make though. I personally have to disagree with them anyway. Try again, tell the truth of who you are and what you want. Don't go mixing things up and then making up stories.

16. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Yes, it would have been nice if you shared your fabric source Polly. You found some nice things on the internet. (I knew I'd seen those photos some place before in my past... thanks for pointing out the web site Benae)

This looks too ribbed (read the description, it's ribbed silk)
    http://www.macculloch-wallis.co.uk/Product.aspx/SilkDoupion!611001

And gee, this looks like a familiar photo too:

http://www.macculloch-wallis.co.uk/Product.aspx/SilkDoupion!5132X

See, I wanted to know where you got the pictures because they offer descriptions. It's a matte silk shirting. I doubt that has the right texture or weight. Seriously, try to get swatches if you can because it's too hard to tell how the feel and drape of the fabric will be from a picture alone.

17. Polly_Padme

Jun 6, 2008
    Kay_Dee Do you started to make overcoat pattern with jacket pattern like base?

18. darthfett796

darthfett796 Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2008

You can put me down for 15 meters.

Thanks!

19. Senator-Padme

Senator-Padme Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2008
    Good Day!
    I'am newer here...I like sewing anf this is my first attempt to make Replica costumes from movies.So,that gown always my fave and I very want to make it...I'am very happy to see Kay-Dee's wonderful Replica of that gown!Amazing work,Kathy!@};-
    So,I'am trying to get fabric,which recomended Polly-Padme and for a months of coming my swatches come...
    I'am copying swatches on machine for all of you.Here it is:
    [image=http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/Padmochka/Fabrics/7.jpg]

What about that swatches(from left to right):
    First swatch - Heavy silk taffeta Repp.It's very heavy and not good for inner dress of gown.
    Second swatch - Heavy silk taffeta.That's very close to the original fabric.It has close texture like in movie!..
    Third swatch - Italian spun Silk.That swatch very close too,but it has a little shine,as a second swatch have shine more darker than everyday satins...

20. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    1. princessleia911 15 meters
    2. PadmeAndrea 15 meters
    3. Jocell 15 meters
    4. Nani 15 meters
    5. fairyprincess 15 meters
    6. AnariaZar-Rel 15 meters
    7. Polly_Padme 20 meters
    8. darthfett796 15 meters

Pre-ordered so far: 125 meters
    Needed: 200 meters
    Only need 75 meters more so let's keep the word out and the price will be about the same.

21. Kasey8473

Kasey8473 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2005
    Good morning! I've begun work on this recently. I've made the underthings - farthingale, shift, bumroll, though I may not use the bumroll after all -- and am hard at work on the bodice muslin. Pictures so far can be found here if anyone's interested in seeing them. Not many yet!

The bodice is giving me all sorts of grief. [face_frustrated] I started with Simplicity 3782 and promptly developed a great hatred for the pattern. The bodice pieces fit all weird on me and I've gone through a lot of muslin trying to adapt it the way I want. The end is in sight however! I think I've got the bodice pieces shaped the way I want them. Right now they're pin fitted, so I need to baste them and re-try.

Now, I did like the skirt pattern. And the sleeves. The sleeves have adapted well to the proper shape. Yay!

I've also made the choker.

[image=http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g258/kes8473/Padme%20Loyalist%20Committee/100_3150.jpg]

It's made from fun foam. Here's my method:

1.) Cut the pieces.
    2.) Used Spectra Paints clear effect to make the 'frame' on the rectangle pieces.
    3) Sealed with the glue method.
    4.) Glued the pieces together.
    5.) Several coats of gold craft paint.
    6.) Attach a thin ribbon to tie closed.

The best part about the choker? It's cheap, easy, and comfortable and if it bites the dust at one wearing, it's low stress to make a new one. :D My next idea is to try out the fun foam on the headdress. Again, cheap and if it doesn't work, I'm not out much.

That's where I'm at so far. I'll pop back in when I've got some progress to show. :)

22. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    That's a great start Kasey. :)

23. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    Kasey thats looking good!

Off Topic... does anyone else smell old socks in this thread? [face_sick]

24. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003