main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Gold flower outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by LadyNaberrie, Feb 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    BE BRAVE Creena and Mrs Mayim-naar!
    You'll have so much fun dying your fabric you'll run around the house looking for other
    things to throw into the dye bath--I find it quite addictive :)
    -Ferd :)

2. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Wow Ferd! Thanks soooo much for that how-to! What a huge help! One more question though -- When you pre-wash polyester blend will the edges fray too much?

Well, I'm off to the fabric store for dye and some more supplies. Wish me luck, everyone!

3. Renaissance_Woman

Renaissance_Woman Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    I know what you mean Ferda! I now have Padme gold bath curtains, shower curtains, and towels!!

MrsMN: The paint has actually made the hand embroidery easier since it's stiffened the fabric. That particual paint is extremely light weight so it doesn't add bulk. I actually painted the material before I cut the pattern pieces out, but I may go back and touch up in a few places. It's definitely a great look if you're going for a metallic corset, but otherwise, I'd go with the boiling dye process.

4. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I have a Question about the cape/shawl

OK, I've been trying to figure out how to connect the front ends of my cape together and I'm stuck. I was looking at the Vanity Fair cover and it looks like there is some sort of string that spans between the two ends to connect them. Here's an enlarged image of that part of the photo:

http://www.angelfire.com/art/kathys/cape_vanity.jpg

I remember reading that some of you felt it was pinned together, but I don't see any pins. What did the rest of you use?

Thanks,

Kay Dee

5. afaeryschild

afaeryschild Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    Kay_Dee,

This is the reason I said I would never do
    the cape.. I couldn't figure the front clasp
    out... it looks to me like a rosette
    with some blueish stuff on either side...
    shaped like the ones you get on an airplane
    for free... but this is just a very, very big
    guess... as I have no idea what materials..
    it look almost metallic sometimes and
    sometimes it looks cloth made.

edit:here is the concept sketch I made of
    the broach.. I finally found it..

6. Renaissance_Woman

Renaissance_Woman Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    There's a brooch?!? How on earth did I miss that?? Guess I'm off to the rummage sales this weekend! Thanks for brining it up, I never would have noticed!

7. Koshka-the-Cat

Koshka-the-Cat Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    I used snaps to fasten my cape. They work very nicely and it doesn't fall down or hang below the top of the blouse. I wasn't going for a completely accurate reproduction though, so if you are that may change things :)

I like the idea of a broach at the center front though. The two ends of the cape meeting there does look a little messy...

Katherine

8. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    I used a small metallic gold frog (kermit really didn't like the spray paint-but it wasn't up to him :) LOL! ) No, seriously one of those corded chinese type closures. It matched well, and did the trick--again not 100%.

It's propbably too late but Mrs. Mayim--if you are really concerned about the fraying you could serge all the ends before dyeing the fabric.

and, I totally agree that thrift stores, flea markets and such are a GREAT place to find costume jewelry. I love accessories, and those places are costumer friendly!!
    --Ferd :)

9. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I was always under the impression that there was some sort of clasp or brooch holding it together. I could never see a clear picture of it though.
    For mine I used hooks and eyes strategically placed under roses to attach the cape all the way around the top edge of the dress. It worked great.

10. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    OK, I decided to go with the fabric dye to see what happens. If it doesn't work out, I will buy the paint and try that! [face_clown]

I'm going to work on that this afternoon. I bought RIT in "Golden Yellow." It says to add salt and washing machine detergent into the dye bath. Do I use regular table salt? Also, is the detergent necessary? I've heard lots of people talk about dying clothes, but I've never heard anyone mention detergent.

Once again, thank you all so much for the help!

11. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Yes, regular table salt is what you use. I personally wanted bother with the detergant (sepecially if you pre-washed the fabric--I've never seen iIt make much of a difference)

Make sure you keep the fabric in the dye bath for at least 20 minutes, if you rinse it too early you can loose some of the color. Good Luck! --FERD :)

12. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks for the input on the cape clasps everyone! I will have to check out some of those Chinese style closures and look for pins. Here's what I think I'm going to do:

Get some thin ribbon or cord that matches the tread used to trim the cape. This will be used to connect the two front ends of the cape together. I will make a loop at the loose end of the cord and hook it around a button hidden on the inside of the other end of the cape. If I can find a nice small pin, I'll use that instead of a button.

Here is my sketch:

http://www.angelfire.com/art/kathys/cape_vanity_drawing.jpg

I think I will also use some of the hook and eyes to connect the cape to the straps of the bustier. I will do this with the blouse too.

Well, I look pretty silly as I'm typing this! I have on a muslin version of the blouse, and I'm in the middle of trying to get the elastic bands on the arm placed. Maybe I'll snap a picture in the mirror?

-Kay Dee

As for my skirt embroidery, I've abaondoned the green vines. My machine stitching was not turning out and I realized I don't have time to embroider both white flowers and green vines. As it is, it's going to take me about 2 months to get the flowers embroidered onto the skirt :( I just have to keep telling myself it's gonna look fantastic when I'm done!

13. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Kay_Dee, it's going to look FANTASTIC! when you're done! :D

14. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks Obi-Dawn! I really need the encouragement! Especially when I have a husband telling me I'm wasting my time on this :( Can you believe I had to order an entire spool of the Shiny rayon floss for the white flowers? I ordered 400 yards of it - but I think I may need 600. This will get me started anyway, LOL! I must be insane.

-Kay Dee

15. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    kay_dee, don't get discouraged! This project is obviously something that you enjoy and that makes it worth your time!
    600 yards? You are going to be dreaming about little white flowers. :)
    Here's a big picture of the dress to make you smile:

picnic

16. Paradoxigirl

Paradoxigirl Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2002
    Hi everyone! I've been reading through all the pages and all your costumes really look great! *swoon*

Mrs_MayimNaar: Some pages back, you were saying that you saw tablecloths which were perfect for the cape...and you were saying that you'd buy and ship to anyone who was interested...I *know* it's a long shot because that post was from like *May*, but does that store still carry them? I also remember you were saying they came in both gold and blue... *puppydog eyes* If you happen to see them on your next trip to the store, would you tell me? Then I can plead with the Evil Finance Minister (i.e. my mum) to let me get them. I'd be eternally grateful! =) Thanks loads!

EDIT: I see that some of you are talking about the brooch that closes the cape/shawl. I haven't read through all of those posts but I have looked at a gigantic picture that I have (and which I loaded from one of the posts earlier on in this thread, incidentally). Having examined, I'd like to tentatively suggest that it might be a butterfly. (At least, that's what it looks at from that angle...)

17. Jenny-LaFleur

Jenny-LaFleur Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    I noticed the little blue thing on film more than in the stills. I think it looks like a little stylized butterfly too. It also has some weight it it, looking at the way it lays on the dress, so I assume it's a glass stone with metal setting. Of course I am probally totally wrong. I have been looking at hair jewelry to see if I could find something on the right scale and color. No luck so far.
    As far as attaching the cape goes, I've been thinking of using really thin ribbons. They wouldn't show but instead be tucked out of site. I want something that won't show on the chemise part (like the snaps do), so I can wear the outfit without the cape if I choose to. I don't know... I need to test it.
    I haven't seen the tablecloth and curtain together but from the pictures they are really close if not exact. I would like to buy the pre-made version now (so this project will be finished in time for this year's Ren Faire) and maybe someday actually create my own. I don't know... it's not exact but is really pretty!

18. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
  19. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    Looks great! I really like your hairpieces or whatever they are.

20. afaeryschild

afaeryschild Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    liannb,

Your blouse is gorgeous!
    I can not wait to see it with
    all the flowers and ribbons on it!

The sleeves look perfect, and
    the colour looks yummy. It looks
    similar to the butterscotch
    colour I am using (yellow does
    not look good on me at all :( )

Please post more pics when you
    have them!

21. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    liannb - your blouse looks great! I think the color looks close to the fabric I have for my costume. I wish my machine could top-stitch the vines as well as it did on your fabric. I think I ran into a problem because my fabric has a bit of a crinkle to it, and the top-stitching made the fabric drape funny.

Thanks for the big picture Obi-Dawn! It's going to take me a while but I think the flowers will look nice once they are all emrboidered on my skirt and blouse. It's not accurate, but I've had to give up on that. I did notice that in the photo you posted, the cape seems to connect at both ends without a visible thread showing. This makes me think that some kind of adjustable pin must be used, as the tightness of the shawl is different from picture to picture.

As for the 'butterfly' pin on the shawl, I saw some cute little blue metal butterfly charms at the needlepoint store I go to for all my floss. I wonder if something like this was used to make the pin? Just an idea, check stores specializing in needlepoint items if you all want to make a butterfly pin :) . I'm still trying to figure out what I'm gonna do.

-Kay Dee

22. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    liannb - your blouse looks great! I think the color looks close to the fabric I have for my costume. I wish my machine could top-stitch the vines as well as it did on your fabric. I think I ran into a problem because my fabric has a bit of a crinkle to it, and the top-stitching made the fabric drape funny.

Thanks for the big picture Obi-Dawn! It's going to take me a while but I think the flowers will look nice once they are all emrboidered on my skirt and blouse. It's not accurate, but I've had to give up on that. I did notice that in the photo you posted, the cape seems to connect at both ends without a visible thread showing. This makes me think that some kind of adjustable pin must be used, as the tightness of the shawl is different from picture to picture.

As for the 'butterfly' pin on the shawl, I saw some cute little blue metal butterfly charms at the needlepoint store I go to for all my floss. I wonder if something like this was used to make the pin? Just an idea, check stores specializing in needlepoint items if you all want to make a butterfly pin :) . I'm still trying to figure out what I'm gonna do.

-Kay Dee

23. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    Thanks Kay Dee. I borrowed my friends sewing machine because ours is 30 years old and it just does a regular stitch. I was playing around with the different stitches and just came up with that one using a foot not ment for that stitch. The only problem is the sewing machine will only do it backwards so I had to feed all the fabric in from the back. Its kind off like a tiny zig zag.
    liannb

24. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    liannb, I love the sleeves! It's looking great! Thanks for showing us. :)

25. Catatonic-Van

Catatonic-Van Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2002
    Hi ^_^ I'm new here, I made the flower dress a few weeks back for anime expo, and my friend mentioned this board to me and said I should post my pictures. I was looking at some of the pictures on the rest of the thread and MAN you guys got some good stuff going down here! I suddenly don't feel like the lone amidala like I was at the con! ^_~

here's the site with my pics: http://www.geocities.com/catatonic_van/costumes/padme.html

-Dawn, but call me Van

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.