main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phantom Menace is now a 'classic'

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by irishfan, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    How didn't it help Plan 9 from outer space?

It is one of the most well known stinkers out there. There are other bad movies that everyone has completely forgotten.

Because TPM isn't a bad movie it will eventually be known as the best movie ever to be declared the worst sequel ever made.

Future generations will study the ridiculously unreasonable negative reaction and wonder about us, like we wonder about people who used to think the world was flat.

2. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    It's been some time since I last viewed Phantom Menace on DVD. I popped it in this morning and felt something, but I can't call it nostalgia.

If nostalgia = classic, then I guess I don't consider Phantom Menace a classic.

Yet.

Maybe someday?

When I viewed the movie this morning, I remembered back to when I first heard the title, first saw Darth Maul's face, etc. But the thoughts that came to my mind were how my life has changed since then, and not about the movie at all.

When I saw Phantom Menace in the theater, I remember leaving and feeling quite mixed about it. I felt the pace was break-neck fast and unnecessarily so. I thought the characters had no real identifying characteristics about them. I felt "blah" about the movie.

After repeated viewings, I can appreciate it a little more than I did, but I can't see myself considering it a classic anytime real soon.

3. TadjiStation

TadjiStation Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Because TPM isn't a bad movie it will eventually be known as the best movie ever to be declared the worst sequel ever made.

Future generations will study the ridiculously unreasonable negative reaction and wonder about us, like we wonder about people who used to think the world was flat.

Riiiiiiight.

Whatever makes you feel better, Go-Mer.

:)

4. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    That's what they used to say to Columbus.

5. TadjiStation

Jun 8, 2001
    What, that TPM will be remembered fondly for generations to come? How'd they manage that?

:D

6. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    Hmmm Columbus...

Bell rings...

Oh yeah! The reply!

8-}

7. TadjiStation

Jun 8, 2001
  8. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    That's what they used to say to Columbus.

Columbus is also responsible for the deaths of millions of people in the name of the Spanish crown. Go Columbus! :p

9. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Yeah but he was right about the world being round right?

10. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Yeah but he was right about the world being round right?

He's also been played on film by Gabriel Byrne, John Cleese, Gerard Depardieu AND Flip Wilson. If that's not a reason to trust his opinion on movies, I don't know what is.

/ joke that actually makes no sense, even in the context in this thread, but what do you want from me

Rick McCallum loves you!

11. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    He didn't care about the world being round, he was trying to find a route to India. Instead he came across the New World, and died believing himself a failure. The fact the world was round was something he never, nor many people, cared about. "So it's round."

EDIT: And John Cleese has been my favorite Columbus so far. Columbus would have been cool if he were like Cleese. You know...history is kinda boring. I wish it were like in the movies. :p

12. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    He didn't care about the world being round

Well, a lot of you guys claim Lucas doesn't care about the movie being good.

Thus, by the analogy in place, world = round so movie = good.

:eek:

I suppose Francis Ford Coppola is Queen Isabella...

In other news, I played King Ferdinand in a fourth grade play about Columbus. I was freakin' incredible, man.
    They actually offered me the part of Columbus but I turned it down.
    I wanted to play a king, and why memorize a boatload (no pun intended) of lines to be the star when you can be the secondary star with only ten lines?

END REMINISCING

Rick McCallum loves you!

13. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    I suppose Francis Ford Coppola is Queen Isabella...

Actually, he's the Santa Maria :p

14. TadjiStation

Jun 8, 2001
    Well, he is LARGE enough...

:p

15. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    [face_laugh] You can't say that :p

16. Sith Interceptor

Sith Interceptor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 1999
    I wouldn't consider TPM a classic just yet, however it is inevitable. In years to come people will look back on the prequel-sequels and realise the panning was unwarranted and the movies are, in fact, timeless. :)

17. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    People are coming around even now.

18. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    Really? Where?

19. VCT

VCT Jedi Master star 3

Jun 28, 2001
    Oh, they'll come around all right. True quality, or lack thereof, always has a way of coming through and being recognized for what it is, eventually. It will happen for the prequels as it has for all other films.

20. Namoroman

Namoroman Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2003
    "the new movies are every bit as good as the originals."

Respectfully, I disagree completely.

21. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I don't know about the rest of you, but each time I watch TPM, I get the image of Vader's mask enveloping like a shadow throughout the storyline. (if you wish to laugh, no problem, I can take it :D)

22. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    The people who took the oath of disappointmet may never come around, but the rest will.

23. TadjiStation

Jun 8, 2001
    The people who took the oath of disappointmet may never come around, but the rest will.

The "Oath of Disappointment"?

"I do solemnly swear to declare that TPM sucks even though it, in reality, is a modern masterpiece of moviemaking!"

Funny, that's exactly what I was thinking while standing in line for three hours before my first viewing of TPM.

:p

24. Namoroman

Namoroman Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2003
    Actually, it took me about a year to realize that I did not like TPM. Then the flood gates opened.

25. TadjiStation

Jun 8, 2001
    Namoroman,

Your experience echoes that of at least one person I know. One who was so devoted to SW that he looked for every possible good thing in TPM on it's initial release. He saw the film several times in the theaters, liking it less and less. Now, he doesn't even watch it.

I relayed this story a couple of years ago, and was greeted by statements that took into question his ability to think for himself, much less have any knowledge or appreciation of the movies. In short, he received a variety of insults from many people in this forum.

Funny how other viewers experienced the same thing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.