main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Planescape: Torment

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Reynar_Tedros, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I just blind bought it from GOG (on sale for five bucks). What should I expect?

(Note: Also bought Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura earlier today. I'm on an old-school cRPG kick I guess, even though I've never played one [/n00b] )

2. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    It's been over a decade since I played it last, but it's a good game, particularly the storyline. One possible downside of trying to play it in this day and age is that the interface and mechanics can be a bit clunky (it was designed in the late 90s) so be prepared to be a bit patient with it.

I'm not sure what changes (if any) have been done with the GOG.com version, but if it still runs at 640x480 resolution I strongly recommend installing the Widescreen Mod that can be found at the Gibberlings3 website:

http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/

... which enables you to run it at any resolution that your monitor can handle (note that in most cases it'll result in having blank 'gaps' in the interface, but I don't think it's much of an issue - you can also find other mods that fix the interface as well).

Enjoy. :)

3. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I actually just finished this not too long ago. Champion of the Force is right in that the UI is clunky. But the story is very good. If you want to get the most out of it I'd suggest you focus on your Wisdom, Intelligence, and Charisma stats. You do a LOT of talking in this game.

4. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Sweet, I always make charismatic smooth talkers in my RPGs.

5. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I think there's actually only one required fight in the game.

6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Also it's an epic game and if you don't like it you're a bad person and I dislike you.

Mirax Terrik and Reynar_Tedros like this.
  7. EvilQ

EvilQ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 8, 2013
    PS:T is more like an interactive novel than a game. It's Chris Avellone's masterpiece, if you know who that is (he wrote KotOR 2). In addition to the already-mentioned widescreen mod, I recommend all 4 mods for PS:T that can be found here. The UI fix is one of them.

Arcanum's another classic CRPG and its gameplay mechanics border on the anal-retentive. NPCs respond differently if you're handsome or ugly, smart or stupid, charismatic or a jackass. The dialog choices change to fit your specific character build and can get really hilarious. You have to try playing as an idiot at least once. :p

All of the essential mods for Arcanum can be found here, but the site seems to be having problems ATM.