main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Plants that kill, Trees that hug, Stones that roll: Sentience and intelligent life in the GFFA

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Jan 4, 2013.

1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Since the Force is all life, created by it and in return creating it, even permeating stones and plants etc. does this mean ALL is intelligent, yet not all can communicate with you?

The GFFA is rich in humanoid lifeforms but also knows many other lifeforms that are neither humanoid, nor mammal or reptilian based organisms. Neti f.e. are intelligent plants that can move/shapeshift. Another plant that can "talk" through the Force is the Murakami orchid from Red Harvest novel, which talks to attuned Jedi Corps members of the Agricoprs establishing that some people can talk to plants and life that was believed to not be intelligent.

Then we got Zonama Sekot, a planet that can talk and is alive, or is just Sekot alive and inhabiting/using the planet? I thought they became one, a union. A nice mythological notionto Earth alias Gaia being alive and having a spirit, as well as esoteric believes that every planet is alive, and that we are part of a larger galactic organism like the microorganisms in our body are an essential part of us. Giving Celestials a literal meaning maybe too! (lol, people talking of finding god while they walk on its surface, eh?)

This of course plays into the sentience of Droids too, with several having a Force aura (see Coruscant Nights trilogy) and others using the Force (see Skippy). Then we got droid lifeforms like Silentium and Abominor, who are a cross between droid and nondroid life, much like Neti are between plants and something else. Iron Knights too show that, like lightsaber crystals, crystaline lifeforms exist, or even intellient stones.

Now talk about Iron Knights blaiming the Jedi for enslaving fellow sentient crystaline lifeforms in their lightsabers :p

Thus, since we are not crude matter as per Yoda I conclude that all life is sentient and intelligent yet not all is able to interact/communicate with all other life. Some have bridged this communication gap like Agricorps Jedi did, but this topic remains interesting with many consequences if indeed

2. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Love the thread title :)

I don't really have the time right now to delve into definitions of sentience and intelligence, but to me it seems that both of these would become meaningless concepts if they are equated with "life" per se.

I'd say the fact that we have sentient species from just about every biological kingdom just goes to show how large the GFFA is. And the fact that all life resonates with the Force on some level doesn't mean everything is sentient...

...though I guess one could make a broader point about the Galaxy (or even the Universe) as a whole being one huge quasi-intelligent organism, whose "limbs" (or synapses or whatever) are all the separate living beings connected through the Force. [face_thinking]

3. The other Cleopatra's

The other Cleopatra's Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2013
    Was the planet that ate people inteligent?

The one form the Galaxy of Fear series?

4. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

I was waiting for someone to mention that one :D I think it was not sentient but an Imperial experiment gone wrong, though I'd love if it is retconned/tied to an imperial experiment on a sekot-esque lifeform ;) like.. what if a Murakami Orchid took over control by rooting into a Sekot :p

5. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I found it interesting that the Essential Reader's Companion mentioned that during the NJO, Sekot was originally supposed to reproduce by having 'budded' off a sentient moon. That got my mind thinking...just how would that process have worked? Would the moon have grown into a planet by eating asteroids?

6. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    What? Didn't know that.. but I guess, Sekot would have sent a spore to a moon which then symbiotically bonded to it and grew all over it, much like Sekot did with Zonama. Though that is, if the final version of how Zonama Sekot worked is taken into account. If not, it could be as weird as the entire planet being alive and literally shooting matter into space which then condenses into a moon. But then I'd propose that Sekot-esque lifeforms do not reproduce asexually but sexually, with two sekotesque planets colliding to in the collision free matter that can become a moon.

7. aalagartassle

aalagartassle Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2011
    Interesting subject..last comments made me smirk trying to descibe the 'reproduction techniques' of planets on plants:p . but hey it could be valid.

Tsilis also have sentinence and are crystals.
    Drochs are non sentinent until they for a collective [through eating each other].
    There are heaps of plant based sentience, What plants were in the Crystal star? i can't remember.

8. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I blame Mogo for my fondness of sentient planets.

Dawud786 likes this.
  9. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I found that quite interesting really. Apparently, it was going to be Sekot's younger moon that convinced the parent to get involved in the Yuuzhan Vong War. And funnily, it was going to appear as a young Anakin Skywalker, presumably during that time Anakin visited Sekot prior to the Clone Wars. Also, note that its the younger moon, suggesting that there might have been two originally planned but seems to had gone unnecessary tangent.

10. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I read the title of this thread in the voice of Treebeard.... hoom hum. Ba-rarum!