main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ark Please post suggestions for the December meeting agenda here or pm them to me..

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by hyperspace_police, Sep 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Ok People.

The end of the year is approaching.

With the end of the year, we are preparing to make some changes for the upcoming year...

Please read and give feedback.

Changes already suggested are as follows. Please post your suggestions here before the meeting on the 30th. If they are already out in the open members will know what is likely to be discuseed.

This is not to be considered a final draft, just suggestions that will be discussed at the meeting.

Thank you for your cooperation.

1. Officers will be required to attend 50% of all meetings and 50% of all events.
    (This allows officers to still have a life outside of the fan group.)

2. Establishment of monthly meetings. Right now we're looking at the fourth Friday of each month unless there is a scheduled event for that weekend that will take it's place. This can be simple as everyone meeting at a restaurant.

OR

Do we want to only try to have seperate meetings in months that don't have several activities that we can take care of business after the event.

3. Dues become mandatory. If dues become mandatory there will a proposed membership package and nobody will be excluded if they can't pay. They just won't get the membership package and can't hold office. They can still VOTE (after meeting requirements outlined in the by-laws) Dues will be kept at 12.00 a year. (That's a dollar a month people.)

4. Members will not take any information or pictures or anything off of this or any ArkanSith site and post them on another site without first asking the membership for permission.

5. There will be no more than one event scheduled for a month. (Exceptions will be made for Make A Wish and other circumstances as they arise.)

With the following exceptions: October will have Race for the Cure and probaby a Halloween event.

6. Any officer found guilty of flaming on this or any other board will be removed from office and placed on probabtion.

7. Any member found guilty of flaming on this or any other board will be placed on probabation.

8. Any member who is placed on probabation/suspension with another group, such as Rebel Legion, 501st, Jedi Assembly, 327th Star Corps and other such Star Wars themed group will be placed on probabation/suspension from this group until the situation is resolved.

Clauses for the wrongfully accused and time periods for probabation will be determined when we vote on this.

If there is anything else you want addressed now is the time to bring it up.

Any and all ideas will be considered at this time.

Thanks
    Bacon

2. ChaseKeJac

ChaseKeJac Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2006
    Sounds very fair and I would like to copy this to the 327th with your permission.

3. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    On the subject of meetings:

Since we were talking and when we get event/meeting each month is seems to get overwhelming...

Why don't we try to have 6 meetings (which can consist of hanging out somewhere or something) by-monthly.

That way as we get new people who might not have a costume or people who don't have a costume...They have soemthing regularly scheduled to get to know us.

Imput please.

Bacon

4. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    THe 6 meetings bit sounds great. I also like the ammendments and agree with them.

5. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    1. Officers will be required to attend 50% of all meetings and 50% of all events.

Are we defining or designating events? I think that maybe we should come up with some sort of way to decide what is an AGR "event" and what is simply an "activity" that AGR members can attend and/or participate in. Unless this is already defined in the by-laws and we just need to adhere to previous guidelines more clearly...

2. Establishment of monthly meetings.

I agree with the general consensus that bi-monthly would probably be plenty. Quarterly might do it--y'all already know I'm more for taking care of business online--but I appreciate that face time when everyone can sit down together and discuss something all at once can be more productive at times.

But if we are going to have a meeting and discuss real issues, let's have a definite start and end time and not announce a meeting and then spend most of the time hanging out and then have people miss the real issues when they occur in someone else's hang-out time...

4. Members will not take any information or pictures or anything off of this or any ArkanSith site and post them on another site without first asking the membership for permission.

Maybe we should have a banner, or a variety of banners and/or logos hosted on the website that people can link to for signatures or other forms of advertising on other websites. This would just have basic information with links to our websites so people could learn more about us.

5. There will be no more than one event scheduled for a month.

Refer to my comments on item 1.

6.& 7. Any officer or member found guilty of flaming on this or any other board will be placed on probabation.

How will this be prosecuted/judicated? Is this in the by-laws? I only mean, that for the benefit of some of us who get a little hot around the collar sometimes, maybe what flaming is should be defined a little more clearly, as should the manner in which it should be dealt with: complaints, arbitration, decisions on specific cases...

9. Personal information protection. I submit that the internet is not a safe place for any personal information. I wouldn't feel comfortable with my personal email, phone number, address, last name, birth day (when including year), and other such data, appearing in any public format on the web. I try very hard to keep things like that off websites like this. I think all of you should too. I propose that such information be illegal to post or copy to any public forum, blog or website. Such information should be dealt with privately and sent through Private Messages or Emails when appropriate.

6. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    As for deciding how to write these in ammendment/by-law form...

Thats what this is for. Input on what we want to consider as flaming and such.

we'll then take the suggestions and work them into the by-laws where appropriate.

Then have a meeting and vote about it.

Bacon

7. nlrtrooper

nlrtrooper Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2006
    It sounds pretty good to me.
    Maybe we could have monthly "meetings" just for everyone to get together and for interested people or new members to get to know everyone. Maybe order Pizza or have a cookout? Then have a "business meeting" within that meeting to discuss any issues that anyone may have or for members to present the group with any appearance opportunities that can go to a vote for all active members. I do agree that there should be a set time for the meetings. Once the business portion is over then those who must can leave and everyone else can socialize. If there is nothing to be voted on then there does not have to be a "business" portion of that meeting. All issues to be voted on should be posted on-line for no less than 3 days to allow as many members a vote/opinion as possible. I think all votes should be a majority rules.

CB

8. Enderan

Enderan Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2006
    I actually think that there should be at least one thing a month where we all get together and fellowship (for lack of a better word) but I believe that a business meeting should always be seperate from the social meetings.

In my experience, once someone gets in the social mood they tend to stay there and trying to jump from social to serious can cause some to get an attitude simply because they were having fun and now don't really want to think about business or when one has business to discuss they don't really feel like people playing. The mixture of these attitudes can cause problems and make meetings draw out longer than necessary just to calm people down. There may be drinks or snacks at the meeting but a business meeting should be just that... business. Those could be held every 2 or three months depending upon the needs. Other than that the group should meet just to see everyones face as friends and to get to know one another and casually discuss life or ideas for the group.

What is flaming?

9. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    Being unnecessarily rude on a forum site like this one.

10. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    You guys have no idea how much I appreciate input.

All suggestions will be thrown into the revamping of the by-laws...which will take place sometime towards the end of the year.

Thank you....

And the suggestions don't just have to concern meetings....you can throw anything out here....
    (And please do...it's everybody's group...not just us officers)

Bacon

11. Enderan

Aug 30, 2006
    Okay then... I would like to get together and act like Jedi and do war games and train and promote people through the ranks of Jedi and Sith and etc... etc...

Maybe

:)

12. WeyrleaderZor

WeyrleaderZor Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2006
    The intention of the business/social meeting was more like such:
    We'd get together and start the meeting with the business, because it is hard for people to get their minds on things once they get them rolling on fun stuff they are often more interested in, and discuss whatever business we have.
    First: Call the meeting to order, recap prior meeting
    Second: Old business - whatever was left unresolved from last meeting is taken care of, unless it's a 'work in progress' in which case we just get an update on how it's going.
    Third: We discuss any new business and if it can be decided on or resolved we do that. Else, we do what we need to to get it going and will resolve/look-for-status at the next meeting.
    Finally after all the recap, old business, and new business is done... We socialize and have fun and just enjoy the company of other Star Wars geeks and enthusiasts. ^_^

I don't think that that is too unreasonable to ask people to have to sit through before we just 'play around.' After all, most of us are adults most of the time, eh? *g* (And yes, that was meant as sarcasm, and a joke.) And by doing it this way it keeps us from having a 20 minute meeting one month because it was 'just business.' Let's face it, do we really have all that much in the way of business? *g*

13. WeyrleaderZor

Sep 10, 2006
    Here is the "tech dictionary" definition of "Flaming" (and other keyword terms related, if you want to address the issue you may want to look at these as well).

- Flaming: Sending angry or inflammatory messages, either by email or newsgroup posting. Flaming is considered bad netiquette.
    - Flamer: A person who habitually flames.
    - Flame: To express strong opinion and/or criticism of something, usually as a frank inflammatory statement in an electronic message, or in a newsgroup posting.
    - Flame Bait: A newsgroup posting that is designed to provoke a flame war.
    - Flame War: A heated argument in a newsgroup or other public electronic forum, often resulting in personal insults and other angry remarks that are off the subject.

(And much less common, but still an issue in some newsgroups and forums)
    - Spelling Flame: A newsgroup posting that corrects the spelling of a previous posting as a way of making the implication that the previous posting and its writer are ignorant.
    ** A Spin-Off of this "Cannon Flame" was used on Kenobi.com years ago when the site was primarily a weekly-processed turn-based tactical game site. It was to prevent people from jumping all over someone for posting something that "wasn't in cannon" for the game - which was taking place AFTER the movies. **

There you have it, all you [n]ever wanted or needed to know about "Flames", "Flamers", and their "Flaming" ways. ^_~

14. Enderan

Aug 30, 2006
    Thanks for the info.

15. WeyrleaderZor

Sep 10, 2006
    I'm a computer/tech geek, that's what I do. ^_^

16. ChaseKeJac

ChaseKeJac Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2006
    You guys have really put foward some good ideas. I'm just sitting back trying to think of anything I can input....ya'll really covered alot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.