main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***Please read*** CR Re-elections - part two - Nominees manifestos and Q&A

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by timbolton, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Thank you for your nominations, below are the people who have been selected by you for the CR election.

*** Nominated but not standing

edgejedi88 (Jase)
    ForceGhostOfCozmic (Chris)
    Lord_Ogli (Chris)
    Spike2002 (Sie)
    spike_thmid (Chris)
    timbolton (Tim)

First off, I appreciate the nomination I got, but unfortunately I won't be standing for the CR position for a number of reasons - I need to focus on the RSA-ship (though I will get involved in some capacity with meets, as I do in the other chapters), you need a CR who can dedicate their time to you (and I can't as I have said before, plus it wouldn't be fair on the other chapters or FF-UK as a whole) - the North is very active and has a good membership (which seems to expand weekly atm). You will be taking over a great chapter, one to be very proud of. We have a good bunch up North.

Secondly, if you are on the list and don't feel now you can do the job, say so now please, and we'll drop your name from nominees list.

Now for part two of the election.

2. Nominees "Manifesto" and member Q&A

3. * Each nominee should post a "manifesto" in this thread about themselves, and explain why they should be CR. Examples of previous experience (from here or elsewhere) will be helpful. You have to sell yourself, and remember these people you are asking to vote for you should be given some respect - their vote is a show of confidence in you doing a good job. So please think about that.

Do nominees want two weeks for this? So you have time to write the manifesto and get in the Q&A section. Please let me know asap, and I'll add dates to the thread.

* Once we have all the manifestos, posters are free to ask the nominees questions about their manifesto or anything else to do with the FF-UK: North. Hopefully you'll get an idea about what the nominees are about, and who will be best to vote for. Last time people from outside the North also posted r, one to be very proud of. We have a good bunch up North.

Secondly, if you are on the list and don't feel now you can do the job, say so now please, and we'll drop your name from nominees list.

Now for part two of the election.

4. Nominees "Manifesto" and member Q&A

5. * Each nominee should post a "manifesto" in this thread about themselves, and explain why they should be CR. Examples of previous experience (from here or elsewhere) will be helpful. You have to sell yourself, and remember these people you are asking to vote for you should be given some respect - their vote is a show of confidence in you doing a good job. So please think about that.

Do nominees want two weeks for this? So you have time to write the manifesto and get in the Q&A section. Please let me know asap, and I'll add dates to the thread.

* Once we have all the manifestos, posters are free to ask the nominees questions about their manifesto or anything else to do with the FF-UK: North. Hopefully you'll get an idea about what the nominees are about, and who will be best to vote for. Last time people from outside the North also posted questions, and there were some good questions asked. If no one else objects, I'd be happy to keep that open thquestions, and there were som

6. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    ...thanks for the nominations, whoever nominted me, but right now in my life I have enough to do with the things I have already committed to (mostly meaning being Commanding Officer of the Rebel Legion in the UK...keeping the Rebels in check is time consuming enough!), so wont be progressing my nomination thanks. [face_whistling]

As always, I will still be an active part of the boards though and try to help or support any incoming or current CR.

Good luck to the remaining nominees however and may the best 'man' win! (where are the nominees for the ladies?) [face_thinking]

7. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Manifesto

Well, first I'd like to thank my nominator. I'm honoured to be considered for the role of chapter rep. I'd also like to thank Lord_Ogli for the work he has done as CR already. The North wouldn't be the way it is without your efforts, buddy. :)

Well, as for me, to totally mismangle and reverse the famous quote by John F. Kennedy, "Ask not what you can do for your CR, rather ask what your CR can do for you."

Well, if I may so say, I believe the North is an extremely solid chapter. We have the fastest growing membership of any Fan Force UK chapter, and it will continue to grow. As it grows, I would like us to continue the community feel that we have going for us. I'm a great believer in community spirit, and the family, and I feel that the North is almost like a family. Because of this, I feel that meeting with each other in real life as well as talking to each other on these boards is very important. My first meeting with FFUK was in January of this year, despite having been a member of the Jedi Council forums for four years. I was made to feel extremely welcome, and got to know the people on these boards quite well, over many meets, large and small, in the past nine months.

As a possible CR, I would like to continue the process of small meetups throughout a year, in a view to meet the new members of FFUK: North. While there is a small core of very regular posters in the North, it is important to remember that there are many other members that have joined recently, and to meet them off the internet is just as important as talking to them online.

Also, speaking as a North-Easterner, I would like to bring my little corner of the North closer to the North-West. It is important for this chapter to be wholly united and not divided by regional boundaries. What I'd like is for the North-East and the North-West to meet each other in at least one big meetup every year, and not just for events like the GMEX, but for a completely random occasion, simply for the pleasure of meeting each other. After all, we all came here because of Star Wars. Meeting like-minded people in your own area is one of the pleasures of being a Fan Force member.

I also have had many ideas for small meetups, some of which have already been proposed on these boards, such as cinema meets and an FFUK: North Fun Day. I've also had the idea of a FFUK: North BBQ next summer (I'll even cater especially for you veggies if I host :p). The Northern chapter of FFUK has built itself on a sense of fun, and I for one would like that to continue. Why? Because I hate being bored :p And don't forget, as someone who is professionally qualifed as an events organiser, I certainly know how to organise any special occasions we may have in mind.

On a more serious note, I am also dedicated to the idea of FFUK: North becoming more involved in charity. As many of you know, (especially those of you who attended) I organised and held a charity event that raised over three hundred pounds for the NSPCC. The amount of money raised would probably have been miniscule in comparison if not for the efforts that the Jedi in Costume made that night.

For the future, as CR (if I'm elected that is) I would continue these efforts in organising and holding charity events. As that night on May 20th proved, Star Wars can be a powerful force (pardon the pun) in raising money towards charity, and as someone who is dedicated to this cause, I plan to use the power of Star Wars (and spike_thmid/Ewan McGregor :p) to raise as much money as possible. And even if I'm not voted in, I will be organising charity events anyway (don't think you can stop me that easily :p) and am happy to work with anyone who is elected to CR for charity causes.

As well as real-life, I plan to be around a lot on the internet on these boards too :p Over the past 4 years I have posted nearly 10'000 times, which means I've averaged 2000+ posts a year, and I plan on remaining a regular until the day I die. All new members will receive the warmest of greetings from me (whether I'm C

8. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    No problems Jase, fully understandable.

=D= Sie.

9. Whim_of_the_Whills

Whim_of_the_Whills Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2006
  10. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Too many smilies.... you'v lost my vote [face_plain]

:p

I'll say now I don't envy any of you doing this and it's in far more depth than what I had to do last year.

Good luck all entrants

11. spike_thmid

spike_thmid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Manifesto

Well how do I follow that from Sie? =D= Well, firstly to thank Lord_Ogli for pushing the North on from where Terry left off and of course whoever nominated me. I see I'm amongst a strong list of possible CR's and I'm sure whoever gets the vote will do our chapter proud.

And that's what it is, our chapter, we have a very strong and more importantly welcoming chapter and that is what I want to preserve. As a member of FFUK:N I feel proud of what we have created over such a short time and I feel this is only the beginning, our chapter is becoming more and more vibrant with new members joining all the time - which is excellent but more can be done and with GMEX only a couple of months away we have a great opportunity to recruit even more members into our community.

If voted in as CR I would like to see the involvement & input regarding meets from all members to continue, I feel this our strongest feature, that anyone new or old can suggest an activity and get the ball rolling (I would of course be there for help if required - whether I was attending the meet or not). I fully agree with Sie with regards bring the North East & North West closer together this is where I see our Grand Day Out's playing a big part, such as the past two annual meets at York. Naturally when it came to these annual events would take a lead and make sure everything was brought together (ie transport options, accommodation, events etc) general housekeeping if you will. But that aside I would like to get to a couple of meets on the west-side of the Penines - depending on money - so I could meet as many friends as possible (this is something I'd like to do regardless)

I believe that maintenance/up-keep of our chapter will be a large part of the CR's duty, yes it may not be the glamour side of the job but essential for keeping everyone informed on where we are and what we are doing, this sort of organisation is something I am used to doing as part of my work, so it is not a task that I would neglect. I would also try to be one of the first people to meet & greet new members to our community - I say "one of the first" because I know some people on here have some swift fingers which is great because it helps new members feel welcome !!

Another avenue I'd like to explore is costuming. It appears that we have a few costumers in our chapter with a few more on the way (I've heard Tim is close to completing his ewok outfit :p) now I'm not talking about anything major - after all this is not a costuming chapter and dressing up isn't everyone's cup of tea but I think a thread helping each other out with idea's & where to find materials in the North would be of benefit, whether jedi/sith or rebel/imperial.

A few costumers may also help with getting publicity for any charity work - of which I am in full support of, I have taken part in several charity events over the years for numerous charities and I would like to take this to the next level, but firstly we would need to pick a charity - maybe an annual charity picked for by a vote.

Ok, so I've rambled on quite a while now and I don't want to be responsible for people falling asleep at their keyboards but I'll finish off by saying FFUK:N is an amazing place to be, I have made some good friends and had some great laughs, our chapter can be as alive as we want it to be IMO every single member has a significant part to play in pushing us forward, whether it's attending meets, putting forward idea's or even posting some light relief to make us smile.

If anyone wants to ask me anything regarding what I've written please feel free to PM me, and good luck to all those put forward for CR [face_peace]

MTFBWY

Spike

12. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    =D= Excellent manifesto spike :D

13. Whim_of_the_Whills

Jul 22, 2006
    =D=

Tis going to be a difficult choice.

14. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    ~The Cozmic Manifesto~

I know a lot of you probably don?t know or have spoken with me, and that if anything you?re more likely to vote for someone you do know and think is up to the job (and I wouldn?t blame you if you did) But why should that stop you from voting for me?
    I wish I could say something that already has not been said by the other candidates about what I can bring to the chapter in ways of ideas and plans. It is hard to top what has been said, though I do have a few ideas within me.
    All that I can say is that I will not make any promises apart from that I will try to the best that I can for this chapter, to help out with meets, to setting meets up and to manage the board when every I can.
    I think we have one of the best chapters here, I really want the change to keep it that why, to help it grow and continue what the previous CR?s had done. I have no experience but why should this stop me from doing this? Why shouldn?t this be my chance to get some experience?

As others have said, we need to get the NW and NE closer together. We should start meets where we can all reach and can all take part in. I also like the idea about more social meets, where we just get together and hang out (Not every meet has to be about Star Wars and Sci-Fi). Already many of you set meets without the help of the CR and why should that stop, if anything I would encourage it but I would help out of course when ever need.
    Another idea I do have, well maybe it?s not idea but when should start coming up with ways to recruit more people, I think we need some sort of recruitment drive of some kind maybe posters or just getting out there and spreading the word.

I really want the chance to work hard for you, to get behind this and make it work well. I really want to take up this challenge.
    Again, I don?t want to make promises that I can?t keep, but I will try my best and that is the one thing I will promise. Because I don?t want to fail all of you all, and let you down.

I sort? of feel like the underdog here, but maybe you should give him the chance.

Take a chance, Vote Cozmic

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/cozmic-chris/VoteC.jpg]

15. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    A campaign banner? Why didn't I think of that? :oops:

=D= Cozmic.

16. Whim_of_the_Whills

Jul 22, 2006
    I give you Cozmic - the future President of the United States =D=

Oh no, that's not right :p

17. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
  18. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    Nice banner dude! Now theres creativity for ya....well done!

Ive met you and I can testify that you are truly.....
    [image=http://www.riaspizza.com/cozmic.jpg]

19. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Stop, you'll make me blush [face_blush]

:p

20. khabarakh23

khabarakh23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2005
    WOW, cool manifestoes guys

Quick question, do we PM our votes to Tim?
    Obviously I'll wait til Ogli has posted his before deciding

21. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Thanks Chris (Spike Thmid) and Chris (Cozmic), more great manifestos. I had a thought on these after we started and based on something that has been said, next time there is ever an election, I think it'll be fairer if we get the nominees to write their manifesto, then PM me, then I post them all at once. Then people don't feel they are repeating, because you are all saying great things, and I want it to be positive.

khabarakh23 - we are not at the final vote stage yet, so don't PM me ;)

I asked for a length on this. Based on feedback so far, I think having this section open for two weeks so members can ask the nominees questions about anything to do with CRship or general outlook towards fan groups/FF-UK/etc. Gives you a little time to get to know who these people are, I'd recommend aiming the questions at all of the nominees rather than individuals.

Ogli - you ready with the manifesto yet? Once Ogli has posted, we can open up the Q&A, but by this weekend ask away regardless, if Ogli needs more time. That way we get at least a week of the Q&A.

22. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    My manifesto will be available in the morning. Just wanted to wait for everyone else to post so I can nick all the best bits :p

23. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    * sits tapping feet - politicians...pah
    * votes with feet...:p

24. Dickie

Dickie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2005
    It's hard writing an 'X' in a box with a pen in your toes isn't it? :p

25. Lord_Ogli

Oct 5, 2001
    By morning I ment for me :p I just got up 2 mins ago [face_blush]

And so...Without further adu...The long awaited...Eagerly anticipated...world renound...badly drawn out manifesto of Lord_Ogli:

Vote for me. [face_praying]

26. Lord_Ogli

Oct 5, 2001
    Only kidding, here it is:

Well, to start I?ll just get the ?you?re a great chapter/community yadda yadda? out of the way. Its been said before and it is all true. I?ve made some firm friends in my time here and plan to make many more regardless.

I?ve rewritten this manifesto a few times now; the longest went on for 3 pages in word so for the interest of your sanity I?ve broken it down into what I?m for and against. I?ll leave the details to the Q&A sessions that come later.

What does the Ogli administration stand for?

27. Informality ? We?re a community, not a dictatorship, I actually border on not liking the idea of a CR at all, What I want is everyone suggesting their own meets, making their own arraignments. Where a CR fits into this would be merely to guide. If you?re not sure what can be done for a meet, contact the CR, if you want help finalising details and getting people committing, contact the CR.

28. Charity ? I think this is an area where we have great potential. As Jedi (and other) costumers we have the ability to appeal to a lot of people especially children. I think we should champion a charity, of which I have one in mind for various reasons, and do our best to promote this desire to help within our fan force.

29. Community ? As has been stated by others, I want to see our community continue to thrive, and not just between members of NE and NW, but also between the other FFUK chapters and beyond. We?ve had 2 great multi chapter meets in Brum and at TENCLO. Next year I would like to work with other CR?s to bring all chapters to take our idea of a fun day out such as paintballing and bring all chapters of FFUK together like has never been seen before.

What does the Ogli administration stand against?

30. Gimmicks ? I know there are some things that sound good, but I want our chapter to be something that works for us, not be a carbon copy of what works for other chapters. Twinning sounds great on the whole, and yes some chapters has worked great, but should we go down this route I don?t want it to be just a name, twice we?ve had suggestions of chapters to twin with, both times the threads died a death quickly, and not because of differences but just because (I feel) both times the idea was brought forward just for the sake of finding someone to twin with.

31. Rivalry - I know that a bit of competition is healthy, But one thing that?s worried me this last year is odd comments I?ve heard along the lines of ?we have to do such and such to keep pace with another chapter? etc, We?re a great chapter in our own right, we don?t need to do things just because another chapter has, rather allow each chapter to have its own identity and our differences will become what binds us as a whole.

In conclusion, what I bring to the role of CR is what I want from a CR. For me a CR is more of a guide than a dictator, to be a true community I want to have every member working together to make this chapter keep growing, not have to rely on one person for direction or let others influence what we want to be.

32. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Thanks for the manifesto everyone :D
    Now for the Q&A session. I have two questions for all nominees to answer please -

33. I know in your manifestos you said what you plan to do. But just what makes a good CR in your opinion?

34. A CR will be most likely be the main person organising a meet at any one time (places to visit, knowing everyone has travel sorted, where to eat, etc). That said, are you willing to work for your members?
  36. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    What would make me a good CR? I'm willing to put the time in, I'm willing to be here managing the boards and meets. I don't mind, I want to use my passion of Star Wars for this job.
    I spend alot of my free time already, and I don't plan on changing that.

I will try to work my ass off for you guys [face_peace]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/cozmic-chris/VoteC.jpg]

37. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Thanks Coz, nice response.
    Since this work is unpaid, people don't expect you to knacker yourself as CR, I think it's visually about willingness/presence/leadership, but yeah, getting stuff done will keep people happy. Having said that about not being paid, I think respecting the people who may vote for you is also important, it's not just a hobby anymore, you have a position of authority (how much is debatable) and you (whoever is nominated) will get that by people's votes - respect the position, respect the people who got you there.

I won't go into how many hours I do as RSA, how much of my own time is used, because I do that on my own head and I am in a situation where I can give what I want. But yeah, having time to be on here is important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.