main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

POLICY: VIPs and Titles

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Sep 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Personally, I think FF was just as guilty as the JC, if not more, for lame titles running rampant around here.

Why is it so hard for the JC and FF to agree on anything?

2. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Very nice settlement. I agree 100% with the decision that was made.

3. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    I agree with YodaJeff, but I guess that would be a discussion for FF comms.

4. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    yeah unfortunately, the FF mods are the ones over control of the FF titles. We can't do anything about it the way it is right now.

5. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    So are mods expected to 'clean up' thier VIP problem or is Sapes going to spend the next few weeks a) 'demoting' people (as many of them will see it) or b) fighting off angery hordes of 'plain folk'

6. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    EDIT: At the request of droideka27, I am copying my gripes directly from the thread that I originally made them. Perhaps there is a better chance they will actually be read here.

Understand that when I wrote this, I was pretty angry. And I've decided NOT to edit the original posts.
    Please don't ban me. :D

<Begin post 1>
    Does anyone notice anything different about my name?

That's right. My title has been taken away. The admins, in their great wisdom, have now instituted a new policy against regular members, like myself, having titles.

Make no mistake about it. This pisses me off more than I can describe on the family friendly forum!

I have put in an awefull lot of hours of my personal time doing work that directly benefits this site and the members who frequent, at least, this forum. I was actually quite happy the the powers that be, at one point, finally saw fit to acknowledge that.

To strip me, and/or anyone else who have done the same kind of work, is an insult.

No disrespect to the VIPs. But, their place of employment does absolutely nothing to benefit this site or this forum, other than a bit of an ego trip from the starstruck folks. So, I really don't see the special benefit alloted them. In most cases, they are the least active of all members anyway.

So... A very sarcastic "Thank you" to the admins of TFN.
    <End Post 1>

<Begin Post 2>
    I think the management of this joint does not see where the real strength lies in this forum.
    Let me try to be clear about it:
    The strength is in those that are happy and willing to invest many hours of their time in helping promote a completely not-for-profit hobby that is the backbone of TFN.

This forum may only be a small part of the entire site. But the people that come to be part of this community are the next generation of the filmmakers that will justify it's existence. And the ones that are working to supply those people with helpful insight are what makes this place tick.

In my opinion, it would bode well to support the people that are working like mad, for free, to support the genre. The "fan film" genre.

For my own part - I cannot even begin to list all the things I have done to support this site, and this forum. For the admins to look at me as someone to piss on, means they are completely out of touch with their own site.
    The fact that they only intend to honor industry professionals alone, is an indication that their motives are more self serving than for the benefit of this community.
    <End Post 2>

If you would like to read the discussion, I direct you to the original thread:
    the Fan Films Forum Social thread

7. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Personaly I dont agree with this, but thats just my opinion.
    Oh and btw before people start with the 'Oh but its because you lost your title.' comments I hadent even noticed it had gone before I saw this thread.

8. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Long-Term VIP and Titles:
    • Anyone involved in LFL or commercially-available SW product. (this also includes editors, LFL employees, etc.)

• TF.n Staff

• Ex Mods/Managers

Define TF.n Staff, Sapes ...

9. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    IT'S THE INTERNET

sorry, had to get that out

10. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Staff are all those folks who work on www.theforce.net and all the associated web pages. It is sometimes referred to as TFN Main.

11. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    So Banner Makers and such and/or Page Code Writers, etc ... right?

12. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    TFN Main has full-time staff who are banner makers. And yes, all those articles on the main page, all the places they link to, the graphics, banners, coding, categorizing, article information gathering, etc... is all done by staff.

13. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    "Exception: EUC Chancellor. Duration 90 days."

I still have no idea what this person does, or why their VIP status is so necessary.

If you want to know why it is the exception ask the current Chancellor and the Mods and exMods who support/ed the position. They can explain its importance far better than I can.

Genghis12
    NaboosPrincess
    DarthAttorney

14. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    "If you want to know why it is the exception ask the current Chancellor and the Mods and exMods who support/ed the position."

I asked here, and I'm still waiting for a reply. I know I'm not the only one who has no idea what it is, or why it seems to deserve special treatment, so I'm asking publically.

15. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    The EUC Chancellor is the person in charge of the EU senate. The senate functions as a sort of liason between the moderators, and the normal users of the EUC. The senate is composed of senators, each who represents a specific thread. For example, I am the senator of the Prancing Bantha , a long running social thread, and was voted as such by "regulars" of the thread. Other senators are the creators of the thread. There are some guidelines to which thread can be admitted(Certain number of posts in the thread, certain level of activity), so someone can't just make a thread to become a senator.

The chancellor is then voted on by the senators, and is elected to a 90 day term(In the past, this was one month, but was changed to allow for more time to get things done). The chancellor is responsible for keeping the Senate focused and on topic. Since the senate has been very helpful to the EUC( It created and runs the Trivia game, scavenger hunt, and the EUC awards, an is currently discussing a new banner for the EUC), the chancellor is considered to be important enough to warrant special VIP consideration. It is helpful for new members of the EUC to recognize the chancellor as a type of authority figure, or for senators to be able to notice easily what the chancellor says in a debate, or when he/she declares voting on a proposal beginning.

Basically, the EUS acts a measure of self government that most forums don't have. Since the Chancellor is in charge of this government, the senate, in agreement with the Moderators of the EUC, supported the chancellor having VIP status.

EUS Thread

If any other EUSers disagree, go ahead. I don't claim to be the expert on the EUS.

16. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Good explanation. The way we look at it in terms of policy is that it's essentially a continually recurring contest in that forum as opposed to periodic contests like trivia and banners. The result of the contest is a VIP status and a title. The compromise wasn't in whether it would be a VIP position, it was the duration. I wanted to make it less, but the reasoning by Genghis was fine and so 90 days was allowed.

17. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    That sounds no different than some lame social thread thing, or maybe a pseudo-AC. But that's just my opinion.

Wait... the EUS Chancellor's duration is 90 days? And the VIP status is for 90 days, so it's essentially VIP status for the entire time they're Chancellor, right?

18. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Yes, that's correct. It's a longer-term short-term VIP status like a banner contest winner and Big Brother contest winner.

19. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Again, I'm sure that the work that they do is appreciated by someone. However, I don't think it's fair to tell all the banner makers/icon artists/other VIPs or people with titles that they either don't get titles and colors at all, or that they only get the VIP status for a couple weeks, while the EU person gets VIP status and a title. Yes, the work is probably appreciated, but 90% of the members here positively contribute, and they don't all have colors too.

I thought this move was to create some sort of consistency. It's sad that it seems like everyone gave in to a mod or two who have the mistaken feeling that those who contribute in their forum are somehow better than those who contribute in other forums, or those who contribute in other ways.

20. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    I'm here backing up durbnpoisn. Anyone can stick something in their signature, but I think that titles are important. Now, this may look rich coming from me- I have a worthless FF title that I'd just as soon get rid of so people who deserve their titles can get them back.

Durb has put many long hours into creating a Cast and Crew database for the FanFilms community, which is used a lot. The mere fact that it isn't hosted on TFN like the rest of FanFilms shouldn't mean that he should get stripped of his title.

Don't get me wrong, I'm annoyed about this every which way. Icon artists do a lot, and (I don't know about te rest of you) I see the icon first and the name second; the icon is my way of identifying people on this forum. I think that icon artists should get recognition for giving us this truly huge array of choices for icons. The same goes for banner artists and everyone else.

21. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    People should really be doing these things because they enjoy spending time making the icons and banners, or information databases, not to get a title or because they think it'll get them recognition.

22. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    People do do these things because they enjoy it. HOwever, I think that the idea is that a "Thank you" from the mods would also be appreciated.

I'd say more, but they'd just be reiterations of durbnpoisn's post halway up the page.

23. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I can kinda see your point - but it was totally getting out of hand. Nearly everyone had a title, making them worthless. We had to do something, and drawing the line back a bit further (we felt) was the best idea.

Now people with a title have really done something special, and will stand out from the regular JC user.

Please continue to make your banners and icons, but do it because you want to see your work on the JC :)

24. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Durb has put many long hours into creating a Cast and Crew database for the FanFilms community, which is used a lot. The mere fact that it isn't hosted on TFN like the rest of FanFilms

Is it an actual usable database? A list of people to contact locally wha are involved in Fan films in case someone wants to get involved?

In which case perhaps it Should be intagrated into TF.N's Fan Film section? This seems to be something that actually goes beyond the boards themselves and into the 'real word' of fandom, and an asset to the Fan Film community.

25. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    It is an actual, searchable, interactive database. It includes information on films themselves, crew of all types, and ways to contact everyone. Someone contacted me not a week ago for a last minute lightsaber effects shot.

I don't know how well it'd work once it's brought over to the TFN site. The search utilities, the constant updating... it works fine on durbnpoisn's own site. However, you will notice that the Cast and Crew Database link from the main FanFilms page leads right to his page. A direct link is here.

I'd say that that is a direct, huge contribution to the site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.