main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

POLICY: VIPs and Titles

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Sep 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tatooine_native

Tatooine_native Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2003
    I have two questions:

1. Would it be possible to put the banner artists' names on their respective banners, as a mouse-over option? I've seen it done on a few banners in the past, and nearly every banner now has the funny "Poof" thing.

2. Out of curiosity, how many users had titles or VIPships taken away?

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    1. Would it be possible to put the banner artists' names on their respective banners, as a mouse-over option? I've seen it done on a few banners in the past, and nearly every banner now has the funny "Poof" thing.

That is a fantastic idea :) Thanks for mentioning it. I think some banners already do (or certainly the old LMM ones did).

I think Raven has control over that side bar mouse over, and it should be so easy to add a thank you to the creator.

3. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Both of Lit's banners have the sidebar thing showing who did it. Check it out if you want. It's certainly not completely new.

And I never minded the titles, but I tend not to mind most things on the boards.

4. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    Why not limit FF to certain limits as well ?

leadership positions in the FF (founder, CR) and tech positions like the someone who maintains their FF's website.

5. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Because the JC has no control over what FF does.

6. ConcordDawn

ConcordDawn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I agree that people like durbnpoisn and the icon artists who make tangible contributions to the site and its community should have the titles. Everyone else has mentioned that they should be recognized for their work (and I agree), but there's another practical reason for such people to have titles: so that they can be approached by members of the community.
    For example, I'm not much of an artist, and I wouldn't be able to make an icon good enough to be acceptable here, but if the icon artists were identifiable by their title, then, if I had a good idea for an icon, I could PM one and discuss it with him/her. Without the titles, it's harder to identify people who might be able to help.

I don't think this statement should be brushed aside so easily. I became an icon artist because I saw someone else's title and lack of colors, put two and two together, and realized it was possible for regular people to make icons for the JC. This was something I found interesting because I It was only then that I went searching for some way to submit icons and stumbled across the Communications forum and the Icon Makers' Thread.

Now, don't mistake me for a disgruntled ex-titled regular member. I only want two things: recognition for icon makers, and a way to let new people know about the user-created icon system. As of now, the only way to access a list is to dug through the Icon Makers' Thread for a link to the list.

Am I demanding the return of titles? No. In fact, I see why the mods took titles away and agree with their decision- if they view titles as something reserved for elite members, then there way way too many floating around out there. Perhaps on the icon choosing page there could be a link to the icon makers list or have some method of finding out who made a certain icon?

7. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I pretty much agree with you Concord Dawn. People who provide important threads, banners, fan fiction, etc. should be easy to locate as well as the mods/admin. I don't consider them to be the elite, but those who go beyond the call of posting to engage TFN into a better place to socialize about SW.

The admin should decide on a monthly basis who receives a VIP or title. Only 15-25 people a month besides the mods should get titles. That my guess but due to the fact of TFN's size and 1000's of posters, it seems reasonable. 45 mods 15-25 VIPS

For Example

October 2004 VIPS
    1. Member A writes Fan Fiction that gets noticed
    2. Member B creates a 3SA banner and Collecting banner
    3. Member C posts key threads
    4. Member D is a contest winner

November 2004 VIPS
    1. Member A writes Fan Fiction that gains more attention
    2. Member C posts key threads
    3. Member D is a contest winner
    4. Member E does something credible

Member B was dropped because he/she did not create another banner and was replaced my member E. A member can stay on the VIP list for up to three consectutive months as long as they fulfill VIP requirements. After 3 months, they are dropped regardless of past history. Once dropped they are put back in the consideration category. Could be immediately after being dropped or a whole year. In my example Members A, C and D are automatically dropped in January, but if they continue their work or whatever it was that got them on the VIP list, then they can be selected again.

Hopefully this will be taken as consideration.

8. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    October 2004 VIPS
    1. Member A writes Fan Fiction that gets noticed
    2. Member B creates a 3SA banner and Collecting banner
    3. Member C posts key threads
    4. Member D is a contest winner

While it's an interesting idea in theory, who would get to decide whether a fanfic is 'good enough' to warrant VIP, or what qualifies as a key thread? It would inevitably start to turn into a popularity contest. And there will always be people who will get frustrated or discouraged if they're not chosen.

I do like the ideas that have been brought up about mouse-over credit for banners, and also having some sort of link to an icon-makers list or possibly the icon thread in the same area where a user picks their icon.

-wick

9. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I also like the idea of mouse-over credit for the banner-maker. :)

10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    If icon makers were smart and craved recognition, they couldeasily add a little sig / emblem / watermark to their own icons...

11. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Just as a note to those who have suggested that we add something (a link or a list of icon artists) to the page where you select your icon, that isn't possible. The only changes we can make to those pages are to the icons themselves. We can't add anything else.

Kimball Kinnison

12. Ph0enix

Ph0enix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    The only problem with the watermark idea is that we're dealing with limited pixel space- 50x50 or 90x30
    It would destroy the look of some of the icons and would be hard to make look good...

13. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Something to also keep in mind is that it MS is actively trying to adopt everyone's suggestions.

Again, some things, once they are actually explored, are found not to be physically possible. These are out of everyone's hands.

Others like the "mouse over," are easily workable.

Also, the icon-laison postion is currently in a state of transition, unrelated to this policy. Once that is worked out, a more consistant plan can be adopted.

As Sapient has always said, this was not done out of a desire to rob anyone of recognition. We can work through the transition together.

14. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    While it's an interesting idea in theory, who would get to decide whether a fanfic is 'good enough' to warrant VIP, or what qualifies as a key thread? It would inevitably start to turn into a popularity contest. And there will always be people who will get frustrated or discouraged if they're not chosen.

I definately agree there. When I was commenting on having titles for fanfics, or in regards to other people's ideas for titles for "noteworthy" threads/posts, I was being sarcastic. It would definately deteriorate into a popularity contest, and odds are, everyone would try to make at least a handful of worthy posts/write good fanfics/whatever just in order to get a title, and before you know it, EVERYone has a title. That undermines the purpose of having titles more than the old policy ever could.

15. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I see what you're saying Wicktone, that this could turn into a popularity contest. It depends on how it's interpreted. I feel that it gives the incentive for TFN posters to create intriguing material.

Moleman1138 does not endorse or hint to endorse any poster for a VIP or title in the material posted below

Fan Fiction:
    I would consider something that has gotten noticed that posters constantly talk about more than the other fan fiction. A fan fiction that receives over 3000 replies.

Key Threads
    Threads that the forum moderators feel that have contributed a great deal to their respective forums. Some who has time and time again posted threads that are not general or basic, but engage active discussion on a topic out of the ordinary.

Banner
    Banner makers for different forums. If they do multiple banners for various forums, they should be recognized. Even if this was a committee of banner makers, with credible past history, they should be the ones to make the banners.

Contest Winners
    They should receive recognition for the time they win a contest. I don't know how the contests work, but that is something the mods/admin know more than me.

Most Watched User
    They should receive some recognition. This is partially a popularity contest, but if posters use the WU option correctly, it shows who people look up to when it's time to post.

I can't think of any other categories. Each moderator should selected who they think would be best for VIP or title. It shouldn't be hard of a selection. The mods can see who really cares about TFN, who spams and who just wants recognition for nothing.

MOLEMAN EDIT: I think the mods are smart enough to see the difference between someone who posts and handful of intriguing posts and fan fiction and someone who diligently performs the task on a daily basis. If there is a limit to the VIPS as I said before 15-25 max.

16. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Most Watched User
    They should receive some recognition. This is partially a popularity contest, but if posters use the WU option correctly, it shows who people look up to when it's time to post.

That's Sapient, and it's not even close with anyone else. No one else will be approaching the number of people he's watched by (557).

17. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Well I think Peter Mayhew has more than 530 people watching him, but he is already a VIP.

18. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Yeah, he has like 533.

19. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Congratulations to the ModSquad for coming to a a correct consensus on the important point of contention that concerned the EUS Chancellorship.

As a long time user of the EUC and a former Mod I can appreciate the importance of the position and it's usefulness in the efficent day-to-day management of the EUC at large. The forum indeed, is a model one in the sense that all users have a contributing say in how the forum is run and what directions it is taken in. I know the moderators appreciate the role the EUS has to play and I'm heartened to see their fellow mods who may have less of an understanding of the EUC, trust Genghis and NP that the EUS and Chancellor are important.

VIPship should not simply be a way of rewarding those who've done hard work, but a way of highlighting individuals from the pack who are important or otherwise distinct from the normal usergroup, who others may wish to contact. The EUS Chancellor is a great example of this; he or she is the person EUC members can come to with an idea or issue that can then be beaten out and formed into a proposal amongst the members of the EUC before presenting it to the Mods for deliberation.

Anyone questioning the efficacy of this system only needs take a quick look into the EUC to see it demonstrated.

Again, thank you for coming to this conclusion, I think it is a winning policy on all counts. :)

20. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    I couldn't get a vision of Count Dukoo out of my mind when reading that. [face_laugh]

I'm sorry. I still don't agree. I still don't see that the titles were worth making such a big stink about. If there were a group of people that were diminishing the value of the regular user title, they should have been tracked down on an individual basis. (I'm already waiting for the "Oh, my god, that's like a billion users" response.)
    It still seems unfair to just lump them all together in one big net and just chop them off.

I still don't see how a title under an otherwise uncolored, obviously regular user, was confusing to anyone. And, it seems pretty clear to me that this continued discussion does mean that there is a distinction to be made.

And, mind you, I'm not arguing for me. My story was over pages ago. I'm talking about, chapter reps, artists, fan club leaders, etc, etc...

21. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    If there were a group of people that were diminishing the value of the regular user title, they should have been tracked down on an individual basis.

What criteria would you suggest we used to do this ?

It still seems unfair to just lump them all together in one big net and just chop them off.

No, its fairer because no single group feels victimised, or singled out.

I'm talking about, chapter reps, artists, fan club leaders, etc, etc

Chapter reps remain as VIPs and still have their titles. They are FanForce, and this purely a JC thing.

22. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    Oh. I stand corrected then :D That's good to know.

If there were a group of people that were diminishing the value of the regular user title, they should have been tracked down on an individual basis.

What criteria would you suggest we used to do this ?

Well, I don't have an answer for that. Who were the people that were abusing the titles? It wasn't me. It wasn't the banner or icon artists. In fact, it seems that most people support them having titles. Who were the others holding titles?

How would you go about searching them down? I suggest one of the admins do a query on the database sorting everyone by title. There would be the list right there.

I don't know what the admin control panel looks like around here. I know it's possible to do those sorts of things with other forum software (like, IPB).

23. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    We the mods abused the titles, not you. :)

24. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    When do I get my 'King of the YJCC' title and redness? If the EU needs one, surely every forum does.

25. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Maybe it should be that every user has a colour scheme and title while the mods have none so that they stand out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.