main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Problems with mods.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by lightknight, Apr 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    Drama Queen.

2. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    ...and I'd love to hear a legitimate complaint. But hearing vague ramblings about mods being "power hungry" isn't worth my slacking time.

Heh, Episode-X Anarchy board. They're out of gas.

3. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    But hearing vague ramblings about mods being "power hungry" isn't worth my slacking time.
    No disagreement there. I was just saying that I've heard you say that whenever you get the chance, which is around 10% of the time these vague ramblings actually happen. The Administration should ban people that use no reason or supporting facts in their claims.

4. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    The Senate would be cut in two! :eek: :)

5. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Actually, it already is. This would fix things by getting rid of the idiots.

6. lightknight

lightknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Could it remotely be that you're trying to point at someone in concrete with all this comments,PreacherBoy? Perhaps me, or I'm imagining things?-I could be wrong,'course-

I have no complain aganist mods and admins;I think they always try to follow the rules fairly, so they have been assigned to reach that goal; and if there's something I cannot understand their reasons to do this or that, I agree that the best way to solve the problem is COMUNICATION, so I PM the admin who's done that task, asking whatever I wanna know about.

I opened this forum just hoping that people could try to undertand others, as well as trying to be understood without trolling anyone's opinion.

7. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    I could be wrong
    I'll spare you from thinking of something so complex or trying to put it into words that we can understand: You are wrong.

8. Just_A_Slacker

Just_A_Slacker Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2001
    Except there are times when the mods do go overboard.

Example, I was accussed of flaming an admin via PM. I requested repeatedly for the quote where I flamed said admin. The admin in question never would supply the quote, flat our ignored several PMs I wrote without replying, and ultimately threatened to ban be for trolling if I kept asking for the proof of flaming.

Now if I had accussed somone of flaming me, then never supplied the proof, what would have happened to me? And for the admin in question, nothing.

A lot of members see a double standard, and rightly so. There have been some of the threads in the Admin room leaked that show members being flamed behind their backs, or mods flaming members in a thread or just being condescending or letting personal biases get in the way. We've all seen it and yet nothing seems to be done about it.

The decisions of mods seem to have no rhyme or reason. What one mod lets slide another mod comes down hard on. Threads are closed by one mod for whatever subjective reason and the mod really doesn't have to explain. And it gets old after a while.

Like it or not, a lot of the members of this board don't like being bullied by mods and the mods do have a reputation of it.

9. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    That's it you're banned for life.

[face_devil]

10. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    You're taking this far too seriously, and emotionally. For the most part, the Administration has things in perspective, but there are times where they show humanity. Sorry that bothers you.

11. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    I'm not going to ban someone for making vague blanket statements about mods. That would only worsen relations between us. It doesn't bother me, other than the genuine desire to have them come out with whatever it is that prompted them to say it. I've tried really hard to get it out of them, both here and on other boards. Eventually it'll get through my thick skull that most of them rip on the mods to be accepted by others.

As for your claims, Just_A_Slacker, at least you're giving us something semi-solid. As just a regular mod, all I can do is try to make sure I don't do things like that. But what you can do is contact one of the administrators and report any behavior you find unexcusable and I guarantee they'll listen and bring it up with the rest of us if they feel it's valid. Mods can and have been disciplined. But you have to tell us.

12. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I agree PreacherBoy.

Like it or not, a lot of the members of this board don't like being bullied by mods and the mods do have a reputation of it.

Ok, so maybe once and awhile they will say something a little mean in your perspective, but all posters do that. I tell you one thing, Im glad we have admins, otherwise this place would be a living hell, really, people would just flame each other all the time.

And another thing, if mod or admin is harsh while discussing why a thread should be closed, you just got to respect that, nothing you can do.

But if a mod has entered a forum not in his/her juristiction and starts arguing over something, I see no difference in trolling.

13. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    It should go beyond that. If you have a problem with someone, just talk to them about it. You'd be suprised how quickly you can come to terms with someone if you are willing.

14. goldbubbly

goldbubbly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2002
    Ok, so maybe once and awhile they will say something a little mean in your perspective, but all posters do that. I tell you one thing, Im glad we have admins, otherwise this place would be a living hell, really, people would just flame each other all the time.

heh, true this place possibly could go to a 'living hell' if we didn't have the mods. I'm glad they're here too, but um, JAS seemed to have a particular complaint, and seemed to have experienced a little 'difficulty'. Don't scorn that.

15. lightknight

lightknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Hey, this is not a war between 'the good ones' and 'the bad ones', first of all because nobody is pointing to a group as the good, or another as the bad.
    At least it was not the idea I had in mind when I opened this thread.

We are humans, and we all commit mistakes,mods included, users included, EVERYBODY INCLUDED.

I thing it is not so hard to understand.

16. Just_A_Slacker

Aug 4, 2001
    The fact that they are above reproach doesn't bother me. The fact that the claim to be subject to the same rule, but don't enforce them bothers me.

Every single one of us has seen a mod flame someone and then walk away without so much as a slap on the wrist.

Or seen a mod threaten to ban someone for something that wasn't a violation of the rules, but was something the mod didn't like.

Or let something slide for a friend, but then stomp on someone later for doing the same thing.

But even beyond that, there are the mods that think that this place would just crumble without them and so dispense justice like they are avenging angles, then cry because the job is so hard and people attack them. The solution is simple: step down.

I don't think you realize how many members of this board are put off by the way the mods and admins act and how regular members are treated. Even if it is just a handful of people complaining, it is, or should be, a concern.

17. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Every single one of us has seen a mod flame someone and then walk away without so much as a slap on the wrist.

I'll just quickly make the point that you can't see what goes on behind the scenes, and whether or not a moderator was reprimanded for behavior.

Even if it is just a handful of people complaining

Can't please everyone.

18. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    I don't think you realize how many members of this board are put off by the way the mods and admins act and how regular members are treated. Even if it is just a handful of people complaining, it is, or should be, a concern.
    You're right, we don't. I'm very surprised that you believe that we can realize the opinions of members who don't voice them. The same thing goes to the people who complain. They can cry wolf all night long, but by refusing to tell us where the sheep are being eaten when asked, nothing can be done.

19. Internet_Drama

Internet_Drama Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2001
    Hello, friends.

20. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    PreacherBoy, are you telling me to shout out my opinions of each of you with joy 8-}

21. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Quiet, you (I'm talking to ID).

22. BISMARCK

BISMARCK Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2001
    PreacherBoy, gundark tries so hard to be like you, but he'll never have quite the same flair you have. Keep it up!

23. Just_A_Slacker

Aug 4, 2001
    Well part of the problem is that the system is self-defeating. You say to keep the problems limited to PMs, and when we do it never gets to be discussed or even heard by the general membership. Case in point, my arguement with the admin. I could have run to this board, said "I was accussed of flaming via Pm and didn't" raised a stink and then it would have quietly gone away. Instead I played by the rules, kept it to PM between me and the admin in question and then when I was threatened between me and Nathen.

So if I keep it to PM no one ever hears of it and no one can say "yeah, that happened to me too". If I take it to this board after Internet Drama shows up, no one cares. And a lot of people are intimidated by the thought of being banned or making enemies.

And part of the problem is we don't know what is said. We see a member break the rules and then see a mod make some snide remark like "welcome to ban-land". We see a mod break the rules and we never see or hear about the results. We never see the mods getting a slap on the wrist or worse. We just see the mod get away with it. Even if we are wrong it is the perception that he is getting away with it.

24. Just_A_Slacker

Aug 4, 2001
    Also, Internet Drama (and clones) was old after the first week of showing up. Much like AYBABTU and Best. Whatever. Ever.

25. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    No, that's still not right. If things fail after taking it to Private Messages and it continues to be a problem, then you're free to be public about it. All I'm asking is that when you do have something public to say, give some qualitative substance to it. What is the Administration supposed to do with a non-existent name? How is the person that you have a problem with supposed to know about it (and fix it) if you don't let them know?

Come on, people. You learn in Kindergarten to communicate your problems with the people causing them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.