main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Problems with mods.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by lightknight, Apr 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just_A_Slacker

Just_A_Slacker Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2001
    No it isn't right, but that isn't the rule. The rule is you take it to PM. Then assuming the problem has been corrected do I still have the right to take it public? According to the rules, no. I take it to PM to an admin and they take it from there.

You know in theory it might work if I take it to this board, but in practice it doesn't. If I keep it in PM it might get fixed, but no one ever knows. If I take it public nothing happens excpet for a bunch of ruckus then Internet Drama shows up.

What is the solution then? Keep it private until it's fixed then take it public? Take it public at the same time it's being dealt with privately? We're talking about people who don't want their dirty laundry aired to the masses. My taking it public isn't going to help my case any. So what is the solution?

2. lightknight

lightknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    I understand what you mean,Just_a_Slacker, but listen to what PadmeBrahas offered you as a solution.
    I was banned once too.My first name was LIGHT_KNIGHT, and there were my first posts here. I entered into a thread and I saw how someone (a current user) was obviously trolling the thread, its idea and its author,as well.I could not help to answer him just saying he was an idiot , a jerk...well, you know,'cause I was trying to defend the other user.
    I was banned because of this, but I recognize that, if I wanted to defend someone, triying to attack the other user that way was not the best I could do.

C'on, we are not children to say:"he smacked me first". I understand why they banned me, and some time later, I knew tha the troller had been banned several times too.

In my case,I didn't need to talk to anybody to know I had done something that should never have happened,but when this comes along and its necesary,
    TALKING WITH CALM IS THE BEST WAY

3. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    If you've taken things privately with the person you have a problem with, to an Administrator since the first communications failed, and then the communications with the Administrator fail, that means one of two things:

1) The system is corrupt. You should leave.
    2) You are not compatible with the forums. You should leave.

4. lightknight

lightknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    My mind is rolling right now, and, as I finally see that PreacherBoy's got the same idea I wanted to express,I leave you today...

5. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    I was responding to Just_A_Slacker. Seriously, lighten up already. This place is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby.

6. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    People who take this place too seriously are the ones that get irked by Internet_Drama.

MAH GAWD TAKE A CHILL PILL AND ENJOY YOURSELF

7. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Problems with mods?

1. Take it to PMs with the Mod in question.
    2. If they are still being problems, or not listening, take it to an Administrator via PM.
    3. If that doesn't work, try posting in Communications as well as the jc-admins@theforce.net email. Someone still reads that, I think. ;)

If all else fails, ignore the mod, hate the system, keep posting or get out of Dodge.

But don't spam or troll in the Senate or I'll find you and hurt you.

8. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Maybe I should charge the Administration for writing responses so they can rehash them here in Communications...

Hmmmm...

9. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Nothing bothers me around here. Why should it. I don't really care if I'm flamed by someone from Australia whose real name I don't know, or if my earth-shattering thread about the Yuuzhan Vong psyche is locked. It's an internet message board, for cryin' out loud!

10. Just_A_Slacker

Aug 4, 2001
    You know, this is frustrating. You guys have this particular board for communications then you just sit there and mock me.

You say no one says anything, and I say the system isn't set up for it. It's set up to keep problems out of the public eye. If they are put on the communications board it is just mocked. If it is solved quietly there is no reason to put out in the open and others won't know.

Your system is somewhat self-defeating at times.

11. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    so what you're saying is that Communications doesn't work?

12. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    "Once again the communication process is broken down..."

13. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    "Once again the communication process is broken down..."

[face_plain]

I just can't figure out what JAS's complaint is besides that a colored user wouldn't explain his motives.

14. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    J_A_S, I think I get what you are saying. You basically have two options if there is a problem with a mod:
    1. You bring it here to Communications. But this becomes a drama and nothing gets done
    2. You talk to the mod in question via PM and sort it out. Yet there is nothing public about that so that there is no accountability and chance to monitor how often a certain complaint is made

And you're right, that system does not work since things essentially stay the same. The only other thing that I can think of is to drop a quick note to one of the head admins to let them know what happened if it's serious enough to warrant it. That way there is a record of it.

15. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    It does work. Things are settled in a fashion that requires the least amount of DRAMA! as possible, and the members of these forums continue to carry on with their Star Wars fun. What you're agreeing with JAS on is creating more of a big deal out of this than there already is, something both the Administration and Staff want to cut back on.

16. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Yup. Sometimes I wish the Communications forum would be split into a JC Grievance forum for people to beyotch and complain about members and mods and Communications for everything else.

And I thought you had to go to a play to see drama in action... :p

17. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    That way there is a record of it.

If I'm reading JAS's last post correctly, it seems that he's asking for there to be some way for all complaints about mods, even settled ones, to be posted somewhere for everyone to see so that "mod abuses" aren't just swept under the rug.

Though how this is going to decrease drama and complaining is beyond me.

18. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    That's how I read it. Seems counterproductive.

19. BOBAFETISH

BOBAFETISH Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    There should be a forum for drama.

20. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    There is. You're in it.

21. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    I just can't figure out what JAS's complaint is besides that a colored user wouldn't explain his motives.

sounds like a valid enough complaint to me, in light of what he was trying to find out.

22. Just_A_Slacker

Aug 4, 2001
    You're reading it wrong then.

You say you want a forum where people can talk about the problems we have here. Then you say if we have a problem with mods or admins to keep it private and PM or email the mods.

I'm saying mods are above the rules and when we have problems you say you take care of the problem but never tell us how or even that you really did.

We say we don't understand why you make some of your decisions and there is no uniformity to those decision. You say you don't have to tell us and we shouldn't question.

You're saying telling us that you actually did take care of the problem and how would cause more drama. I'm saying showing us that you do enforce the rules amongst yourself would reduce a lot of the drama.

People tell you what the problems are and you mock them or just dismiss them. Then you say no one tells you what the problems of the board are.

That is counterproductive.

23. Just_A_Slacker

Aug 4, 2001
    >>I just can't figure out what JAS's complaint is besides that a colored user wouldn't explain his motives. <<

So what motive would a "colored user" (as though that makes you better than me) have to accuse me of flaming, then ignore my requests for the actual quote of that flame, then threaten me with banning for trolling when I asked for the quote?

Why shouldn't we know why you close a certain thread or ban a user or anything else you do?

24. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Things were so much better when there wasn't even a Communications forum, and everyone cared about Star Wars.

25. Jay

Jay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 1, 1998
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.