main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Quality of 'The Phantom Menace' DVD re-release March 22nd

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by TheMcguffin, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    "Lots of people (like my folks) say they don't like the "black bars" of wide screen movies. Won't they be confused when HDTV's become the standard in about 5 to 10 years, and they wonder why their fullscreen DVD's have "black bars" on them."

sigh.....I've been trying to tell my folks the exact same thing for years. Oh well.....their loss when FS tv's aren't made anymore.

2. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    That's why full screen shouldn't be made. Let's petition congress to outlaw full screen!

3. DarthFlatulence

DarthFlatulence Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    Everyone told me back in the late 80's and 90's "Boy, your a fool for buying all those widescreen movies. Can't stand those black bars." Then, all those critics said "DVD? Why are you buying those things! That'll go the way of Beta in no time!" And finally, they said "You got a widescreen HD TV? Are you nuts? You've got more money than sense!"

But hey, who'll be kicked back, enjoying a bag of popcorn and a coke while watching the Star Wars Sextilogy on my special Widescreen DVD collectors edition set and HD widescreen TV at the end of 2006!

But back to the subject, GL was right: I had no idea that the now infamous "midichlorian" scene from TPM was digital!

4. apache

apache Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2005
    There has been one scene added to the movie in this release.

The scene after they arrive on Coruscant and Qui-Gon asks the Chancellor to speak to the Jedi Council.

Anakin doesn't know whether to go with Qui-Gon or with Padme. Padme tells him to go with her and he looks at Qui-Gon to make sure its ok. Then Jar-Jar talks about how hot she is. Then they take the taxi through the city.

5. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    Anakin doesn't know whether to go with Qui-Gon or with Padme. Padme tells him to go with her and he looks at Qui-Gon to make sure its ok. Then Jar-Jar talks about how hot she is. Then they take the taxi through the city.

Uh, that's in my DVD release from several years ago...

6. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yep that and extra podrace stuff was added in 2001.

7. MyrddinHAD1

MyrddinHAD1 Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2005
    A digital Yoda would've been nice....What do you think the possibility is of ILM digitally enhancing Anakin's acting ability/lines? "Are you an angel?"---I'm sorry, but I can live with Jar Jar over him.

8. Mr Bungle

Mr Bungle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    Here are the facts:

GL is now re-re-relasing the series in "3D" in 2007, meaning they will be all new when they come out on HD-DVD in 2007 or 08.

When that happens, you can be sure that Unca Jorj will fix little things (like the Yoda that looks like he has Hep A).

He will also release his master ORIGINAL SET (for those that must have the originals untouched) within the same set. Just to be George!

9. Obladi_Oblada

Obladi_Oblada Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2005
    Was the thing about HD-DVD from a report or is it just an assumption? Because I understand that Fox, as well as a lot of the other major studios, are supporting the Blu-Ray format, which has supposedly twice the storage space as HD.

10. Sabreman

Sabreman Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2001
    I always thought that the picture quality of The Phantom Menace DVD was pretty damn good. Certainly not 'fuzzy-looking'. But then I grew up with the crummy quality of VHS and so I suppose any improvement over VHS would look good to me.

11. Hartdegen

Hartdegen Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2005
    Phantom Menace can look grainy at times, which is confusing because it shouldn't have anything to do with the fact that it wasn't shot digitally.

Anyway, I thought that GL didn't ever want to release the original versions again.

12. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Jedi Master 77, does the cover art look different. Does it us a silver lining to match that of the OT dvds?

13. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    No the cover is exactly the same as before. NOTHING is changed. It is gold like AOTC and of course ROTS will be.

14. JediMaster77

JediMaster77 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    Yep, still Gold. They are making the PT gold and the OT Silver for a reason, so I'm glad it wasn't changed to Silver.

15. Shurlok-Mo-Dicos

Shurlok-Mo-Dicos Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    Just watched this morning..Still has the awful edge enhancement... and Im system set up with video essentials dvd...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.