main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question of the Week #4: Which Star Wars Film Is Your Favorite and Why?

Discussion in 'Archive: Atlanta, GA' started by Minacia_Brightstar, Apr 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    It is time for the new Hothlanta Rebels question of the week for April 15th through April 21st.

This week's question is: Which Star Wars film is your favorite and why?

2. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    My favorite Star Wars movie is...The Battle for Endor. Oops! Just kidding. My absolute favorite is The Empire Strikes Back. There are sooooo many reasons why. Leia looks hotter than ever (and feistier too). The "revelation" from Vader to Luke. Yoda is just awesome IMO. AT-ATs rock!! Cloud City is just absolutely gorgeous. Lando is suave...Rico Suave. Boba Fett...need I say more?? All around, it had everything a sequel should be.

3. eem23

eem23 Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2001
    episode V :the empire strikes back. because they were on the run, and thats when people are at their best.

4. NOOM

NOOM Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2002
    i liked return of the jedi.
    because han was rescude,we finally got to see
    what jabba was and what he looked like,
    my favorite sceen is the sarlaac pit battle,
    the deathstar 2 battle sceen,
    and regardless of what most people think of the ewoks i thought they were cool,
    it was great seeing the powerful empire fall
    at the hands of a tribe of teddy bears,and
    if you think about it the ewoks were ruthless
    i mean they were going to eat han,luke,and chewie at the banquit in 3po's honor.

OUT:NOOM

5. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    My favorite Star Wars movie was The Empire Strikes back. Why? Well, the whole Hoth battle sequence is very cool. I enjoy Han and Leia's banter. In fact, I enjoy the way all the characters interact with each other in that movie. And then there is the moment that changed movie history -- "Luke, I am your father."

ESB explores the entire range of human emotions: humor, affection, desperation, longing, and....hope. I remember being upset at the end of the movie because I would have to wait three years to find out what happened to Han Solo, but I also remember the movie ending on a note of hope.

ESB has been called the "darkest" movie of the OT, and perhaps that is why I like it. It was not "happily ever after," which was a refreshing change.

6. TheForceOnTap

TheForceOnTap Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2002
    I have to agree with others that ESB is my favorite and for all the above reasons plus one more.

I was about 10 years old when I saw ESB the night it opened. I went back the next weekend and saw it again. And again.

My favorite thing about the movie was that feeling I had in my gut that I *HAD* to know how this ended ... and it was going to take 3 more years to get it! AARRGGHH!!! ;)

I loved that feeling. Say what you will about Phantom Menace, but it gave me that feeling again. No matter what my criticisms of Phantom Menace may be, I both love George Lucas and hate him for giving me that feeling back. ;)

Three years later, I still got the feeling ... and know that it will be *ANOTHER* 3 years before it goes away.

Semper Vis

7. Technoviper

Technoviper Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    Oh, Empire Strikes Back. Yeah, it all comes down to the battle of Hoth -- but it's more than that. It's the asteroid chase. It's Han and Leia's first kiss. It's the wisdom and guidance of Yoda. It's Lando Freakin' Calrissian. It's "I love you." "I know.". It's "I am your father". It's Boba Fett. It's cloud city and the thrilling escape from the Imperial Forces as they're taking it over. It's the music, which I think is easily the best of the entire series, from the devastating Imperial march to the sweeping love theme for Han and the Princess to the climactic part when Luke is hanging from the weather vane and he calls Leia using the Force... that bit of music never fails to send shivers down my spine.

If the saga is a sweeping epic, then ESB is the sweeping epic in that epic. It's the Gone With The Wind of the Star Wars movies.

8. Jedireject

Jedireject Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2001
    My favorite would have to be the second one. When Khan was about to blow up the Enterprise and Spock sacraficed his life to save his friend Kirk, I was tear-ridden.

9. eem23

eem23 Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2001
    ah.....should someone tell jedireject that hes talking about star tre.....never mind.

10. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    [face_laugh]

I think our favorite sprinkle enforcer has been secretly using Jolties sprinkles. :p

I must agree with Technoviper on all the things that make ESB great.

11. eem23

eem23 Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2001
    isnt there anyone whos gonna vote for the star wars holiday special?

12. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    Uhm...no. :p

We watched the SW Holiday Special at our November meeting. It actually physically hurt to watch it for more than a few minutes. ;)

13. eem23

eem23 Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2001
    lol, but the boba fett animated segment was great. it looked too much like HEAVY METAL, but great nevertheless.

14. Technoviper

Mar 12, 2002
    Second only to ESB would be Ewoks: The Battle For Endor. That was the one that had Wilford Brimley, right? I love that guy.

Really, now... The only thing painful about the Holiday Special was all the mascara that Luke had on in his brief bit. Oh, and Bea Arthur's musical number. Just that, and all the rest.

Except for the Boba Fett cartoon, Friend.

15. eem23

eem23 Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2001
    somewhat in the same ballpark, i got a tape from the 1976 auditions for star wars ANH, its a riot to see kurt russell trying out for han solo AND luke skywalker.

16. TK811

TK811 Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2001
    My favorite is the 3rd movie where they save Spock and ... Dang it! That Jedireject and his mind tricks!!! ;-) Seriously (as I can be) my favorite movie it ROTJ because I like the culmination of everything. Luke has matured. Han and Leia start figuring "things" out! ;-) The only bad thing about the movie is that I loathe EWOKS! hee hee

TTYL,
    KS TK811

17. ShafttheJedi

ShafttheJedi Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2002
    Empire is great...However A New Hope is still the best of all for the simplicity and pure fun of one great adventure from beginning to end.

18. Jedireject

Jedireject Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2001
    Of course, the one with the whales in it wasn't that bad either.....

19. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    How about the one where they go back in time and try to stop the Borg from taking over the ship? That was pretty good. But I agree, the second one was the best. Too bad Kirk is such an over actor. Wait...am I on the wrong boards?? This isn't the Federation Council Boards?? Oops! Sorry guys.

20. RosieWook

RosieWook Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    Man...go away for a few days and we disect not only the Star Wars movies, but Star Trek as well? I'm impressed!

Honestly, my favorite depends on my mood at the time.

When I love ANH, it's because of its innocence and fun. When I love ESB, it's because of its drama and all the relationships you see growing. ROTJ? Everything resolves and Anakin's redeemed. TPM? Yes, believe it or not, there are days when I love TPM. And that's usually for its newness, costuming and the glimpse into the Republic at its height.

So there. I gave you no answer at all! 8-}

21. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    Yes Rosiewook, you are a typical bureaucrat. ;)

22. mrwdarth

mrwdarth Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2002
    Sherman, set the wayback machine for July 4, 1977, at the Cross County Triple in Coulumbus, Georgia. Waiting in line to see what everyone was talking about. There is absolutely no comparison with any other. A New Hope (I remember when there was no chapter title) blew me away. This forever altered how I felt about movies and scifi in general. My destiny was forever altered by the man in black and The Force became one of the most important facets of my movie life.

23. Technoviper

Mar 12, 2002
    Your destiny was forever altered by Johnny Cash??? Interesting...

24. eem23

eem23 Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2001
    johnny cash would have made a kick-ass count dooku.

25. NOOM

NOOM Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2002
    i love your biop. of the movies rosewook can i change my mind about all the movies after that inspiring break down.yes i even like p.m.and i agree it is all in the mood. i think ph.m. got a bad rap.i believe some people were exspecting to get the same feeling when they saw new hope.but that is just my opinion i could
    be wrong.
    OUT:NOOM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.