main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[R.I.P,] Sports casualties of 2007

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by ApolloSmileGirl, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Broncos' CB killed in drive-by shooting

DENVER (AP) - Denver Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams was shot and killed in a drive-by shooting in downtown Denver early Monday morning.

Team spokesman Jim Saccomano said police called him about 3 a.m. from the scene of the shooting and told him three people had been shot and that Williams had been killed.

A little after 2 a.m., a white Hummer limousine was sprayed with bullets from a vehicle that pulled up along its side, said Sonny Jackson, spokesperson for the Denver Police Department.

Three people in the limousine were hit and were taken to area hospitals, where one man was pronounced dead, Jackson said. The other man and woman who were shot were not identified.

Jackson said police were searching for the suspects and interviewing witnesses.

"We have no motive yet," Jackson said. "We're hoping to talk with witnesses to find out where they were coming from, and that might give us some clues."

Saccomano said he spoke with coach Mike Shanahan and others in the organization.

"Complete shock. We're speechless. It takes words away. A terrible tragedy," Saccomano said.

Hours before the shooting, the Broncos lost to San Francisco 26-23 in overtime, eliminating them from the playoff race.

The 24-year-old Williams finished the season with 88 tackles, 78 of them solo, and four interceptions.

On Sunday against the 49ers, he had three tackles and returned two punts for 50 yards before leaving the game with a shoulder injury late in the second half.

Williams, a second-round draft pick out of Oklahoma State in 2005, made an immediate impact on the Broncos, starting nine times in his rookie season following a stellar career at Oklahoma State, where he totaled 11 interceptions and scored three touchdowns on punt returns.

Players and coaches are off Monday. They were scheduled to meet Tuesday before heading home for the offseason.

Thought I'd make an official thread for deaths of sports figures, it's unfortunate that there was a victim less than 4 hours into the New Year. He was only 24, what a waste.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    just an unfortunate, tragic story

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    This is terrible news. I hate the Broncos, but that absolutely doesn't take away from my sorrow at this. My heart goes out to his family and to the Denver Broncos family as well.

@};-

4. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Senseless tragedies such as this just...gah. RIP.

5. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Wow. This comes after the Broncos lost against the 49ers. I certainly hope it wasn't a disgruntled Broncos fan that took his grudge too far.

6. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    R.I.P., first the loss now this, Denver must be in a state of shock.

7. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I certainly hope it wasn't a disgruntled Broncos fan that took his grudge too far.

Its a sad enough story as it is, if that were the case (and it sounds possible from that article), it would be even more sad.

R.I.P.

8. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    Oh god I feel bad now. I cursed him out yesterday when he was returning punts against the Niners...

9. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    It's very sad and disgusting that he was killed. My heart goes out to his family.

10. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    Such a waste. :(

11. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    It's been all over the local news here in Denver - TV, radio, paper, everthing. I live only a few miles away from where it took place and I just can't believe it happened to such a great person and a budding fan favorite.

I posted this in another forum but I'll share it here:

My mom called me at work on Saturday and asked me if I was interested in going to the Bronco game on New Year's Eve. The only catch was I had to drive to Silverthorne to get the tickets from my uncle who had won them in a raffle. Sunday morning, I got up early and drove an hour east of Denver to meet my uncle who had also driven an hour from Steamboat to deliver the tickets. I couldn't thank him enough for giving them up and driving down to meet me. A few minutes later, I was off back to Denver to pick up my brothers and get to the game. A few miles east of Idaho Springs, I nearly joined a car that was spun out in the median as I hit a patch of icy snow going about 75 and lost control of my car. My windshield was dirty as I rounded a turn and I didn't see the snow until it was too late. Thankfully, my instincts took over and instead of slamming on my breaks, I eased off the gas and tried to ease out of the snow. A second later, my tires hit asphalt and my car darted into the lane to my right, nearly hitting the SUV next to me. That was probably the scariest thing that's happened to me since I was in high school, but I shrugged it off and got home safely. Little did I know that something much worse was going to happen in the next few hours.

I picked up my brothers and we drove to the park-n-ride to take the bus to the stadium. The bus dropped us off right in front of the staduim and as we began walking toward the gate, we saw two limos parked on out left in a roped off area. One was a cool looking black SUV-type stretch, and the other was a now-infamous white stretch Hummer.

The game was probably the most dissapointing sports event I've ever attended. Not only was it freezing as soon as the sun went down, but the Broncos played horrible for most of the game. We had great seats though: east corner of the endzone on the south side, field level, 16 rows from the front. I watched Jake Plummer throw a bomb to two waiting defenders, watched Champ Bailey complete one of the easiest pick-6's he's ever had, and right in front of me I saw Darrent Williams nearly pick off a pass in the endzone.

When the ball went through the uprights in overtime, the place fell silent and 70,000 dissapointed fans immediately headed toward the exits. Coming down the stairs outside, I again walked right past that white limo and thought to myself, "man, I wish this was our ride home".

I was so tired when we got back to my mom's place, I barely made it past midnight and fell asleep on the couch watching my brothers play Wii. My dad woke me up around nine as he ran down the stairs and turned on the news. My eyes opened wide as I saw the video footage of that familiar white Hummer limo with bullet holes in it surrounded by police. I could hardly believe the news as I heard the reporter say that Denver Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams had been shot and killed in a drive-by shooting around 2:30 in the morning.

According to reports I saw throughout the day, the limo had just left a party downtown. There were 14 people in the limo including D-Will and Javon Walker who had a heated argument at the party before they left. Out of all those people, only three were shot including Darrent who died in the arms of Javon Walker. I'd be lying if I said the news hasn't brought tears to my eyes.

Darrent Williams was in his second season with the Broncos. He was known for his warm personality and contagious smile. He was loved by everyone in the Broncos organization and was on the brink of being a great cornerback opposite Champ Bailey. Champ was even quoted as saying that Darrent was better than he was at that age. Darrent was one of my favorite players because he was such an underdog and his immediate success in the NFL was so unexpected. The guy s

12. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    =D= Well said Grimby. It was such a waste of not only natural talent, but more importantly a very warm young man that had a full and enriched life ahead of him. He was from Ft. Worth, which is right next to Dallas. They are to bury him there in the next few days, and it's a homecoming I feel deeply ill that his mother has to give him.

He had been planning, alongside his high school football coach, to start a free afterschool football program, for kids in Ft. Worth. He wanted to keep the temptation of gang life, and drugs out of their lives. I hope this program will still see the light, and honor the young man that had put so much warmth in so many people's hearts.

13. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    The kicker for USC was found dead in a pit. :(

14. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
  15. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    Yea, I saw that one the news earlier. Really sad. What happend to him?

16. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Last I heard about the SoCal kicker, they didn't know what happened, more than he fell off the cliff. The cliff apparently has warning signs, but its unknown whether he just went out there anyways and then slipped and fell accidentally, whether he was trying to commit suicide (sounded like this was unlikely), or whether someone pushed him off.

All of those are sad, though.

17. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
  18. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Now SI.com is reporting that SoCal kicker Mario Danelo's death was probably either accidental or suicide, and that there is no evidence (at least as of yet) for foul play.

19. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    Definitely not foul play, says the updates, and according to many who knew him, not suicide either... Which means, what the hell could have happened to him? Autopsy will take 6-8 weeks prolly to determine exact cause of death. Even though I hate USC with a passion, any death is saddening, Trojan or not. RIP

20. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Three deaths in one week. :( I sure hope the fatalities slow down, or 2007 is going to be a depressing year for sports fans.

21. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    6-8 weeks to determine that he accidentally slipped and fell off a cliff?

If they've ruled out foul play, then isn't the cause of death rather obvious?

22. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    I'd imagine the 6-8 weeks will include toxicology results, which they could get a hell of a lot quicker, if they really wanted to.

23. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Bureaucracy, FTW!

24. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Parsons dies at 65 after battle with lung cancer

NASCAR.COM
    January 16, 2007
    01:06 PM EST (18:06 GMT)

Benny Parsons, who charmed television audiences with his folksy demeanor as much as he impressed fans with his ability as a driver, died Tuesday at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte following complications from lung disease. He was 65.

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    What does that make? Two NASCAR drivers dead of Cancer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.