main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Random Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by Jedi_Knight150, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    The #20 BC men's basketball team is now 16-4 on the season, 3-3 in the Atlantic Coast Conference, after a big 81-74 road win at the Dean Smith Center against defending national champion North Carolina. The Eagles built up a 12 point halftime lead which they never relinquished. The Tar Heels did manage to make the game close, but freshman guard Tyrese Rice had a couple of clutch baskets late in the second half as well as making a trap-splitting pass to Jared Dudley for the game-sealing bucket with 44.8 seconds left in the game. The win was #300 in the career of head coach Al Skinner.

The Eagles get a chance at revenge Sunday when they play host to Georgia Tech, who they lost to earlier this month.

2. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    The BC men's basketball team, #14 in this week's polls after a 66-64 win over Georgia Tech yesterday, faces its toughest test so far this season on Wednesday night when they host the #2 Duke Blue Devils at Conte Forum. The game is scheduled for a 9:00 PM start and will be carried by ESPN.

3. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    A tough loss for BC last night to Duke, 83-81, but the Eagles can be proud that they came back from being down 18 early in the 2nd half. The real story was the disparity at the free throw line: the Blue Devils went to the line 37 times to only 13 for the Eagles. The fact that BC had to play the closing minutes without both Craig Smith and Sean Marshall, both of whom fouled out, also didn't help matters.

The Eagles travel to Blacksburg, VA to play the Hokies of Virginia Tech on Saturday.

4. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    The BC men's basketball team, 19-5 and ranked #13 in the AP poll and #15 in the coaches' poll this week after wins @ Wake Forest and @ home vs. Clemson, conclude a 3 game homestand with a game tonight vs. Stony Brook (the final non-conference game of the season) and Thursday night vs. Miami. If you're thinking about who they could face in the NCAA tournament next month, I'd tell you where they are on Joe Lunardi's "Bracketology", but the page isn't displaying properly right now.

Also, it isn't Al Skinner's style to call attention to it, but he's on the verge of becoming the Eagles' all-time winningest coach.

5. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001
  6. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Just thought I'd mention in passing that BU won the Beanpot college hockey tournament last night over BC, 3-2.

I've been having problems with my main hard disk, so I was forced to use the computer lab in the other building where I live today. I figured I may have only one good boot-up left, and I'm going to use that to try to get a clone of the disk onto a new one. Wish me well.

7. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    Hey, Roy! What's new in life?

8. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Well, I wound up having to reinstall everything, as the clone attempt crashed just as it was nearing the end. [face_plain]

9. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    The BC men's basketball team, ranked #11 in the media poll and #13 in the coaches' poll, had a blowout 72-58 loss @ Virginia Tuesday night, but bounced back today with a huge 74-72 double-overtime win @ #14 North Carolina State. The win today made Al Skinner BC's all-time winningest basketball coach with 169. The Eagles wrap up the regular season next week with games at home Tuesday v. Wake Forest and Saturday v. Virginia Tech.

10. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    With an 80-65 win last night over Wake Forest, the BC men's basketball team clinched a first-round bye in next week's Atlantic Coast Conference tournament in Greensboro, NC. With a win this Saturday at home against Virginia Tech and a split by North Carolina of their remaining two games (likely, as the Tar Heels' last regular season game is Saturday @ #1 Duke), BC will be tied for second in the conference and will get the #2 seed in the ACC tournament on a tiebreaker (having wins over both North Carolina and North Carolina St.), meaning they'll avoid playing Duke until next Sunday's championship game.

11. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=128759

"Hurricane" Peter McNeeley, best known for losing to former heavyweight boxing champion "Iron" Mike Tyson in the latter's first fight after serving a prison sentence for rape, was arraigned in Dedham District Court this morning on charges that he punched a patron outside of the Shamrock Pub in Norwood last night and stole the patron's wallet, which contained $200. McNeeley pleaded not guilty to the charges.

12. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    The BC men's basketball team did its part the other day with a 59-57 win over Virginia Tech Saturday, but UNC pulled off the nearly unthinkable and upset the Blue Devils at Cameron Indoor Stadium. As a result, the Tar Heels get the #2 seed in the ACC tournament and BC has to settle for the #3 seed. The Eagles will play the winner of Thursday's opening round game between Maryland and Georgia Tech on Friday.

13. Darth Dowe

Oct 23, 1999
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear.
    525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year? :)

14. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    And what brought on this random burst into a showtune may I ask?

15. Darth Dowe

Oct 23, 1999
    Heh, I was at a kareoke bar (don't ask!) on Saturday night for a friend's birthday, and some random college girl sang that song, and it's kinda catchy. :)

16. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    In a press release by the ACC this week, it was announced that Boston College senior forward Craig Smith was named to the All-ACC first team, junior forward Jared Dudley was named to the All-ACC second team, and freshman guard Tyrese Rice was named to the ACC All-Freshman team.

The Eagles play Maryland tonight in the quarterfinals of the ACC tournament.

17. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    The BC Eagles opened last night's game on a 19-2 run, and were toying w/ a 20-point lead most of the night, on the way to an 80-66 win over Maryland in the ACC tournament. Craig Smith led Boston College w/ 21 points and 15 rebounds.

The Eagles have a rematch against a hot North Carolina Tar Heel team this afternoon in the ACC tournament semifinals. The winner of this game will take on either Duke or Wake Forest in the title game tomorrow.

18. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Boston College got back-to-back three-pointers from Jared Dudley and Tyrese Rice to take a 43-42 halftime lead, built a 14 point lead early in the second half, then hung on to beat the North Carolina Tar Heels 85-82 today in the ACC semifinals. Craig Smith led the Eagles with 23 points and 15 rebounds. The Eagles have a rematch with the Duke Blue Devils tomorrow for the ACC championship, and it will also be "Selection Sunday", when we find out who BC will be playing in the NCAA tournament.

19. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    BC lost another squeaker to Duke, 78-76, in the ACC championship game today. BC came back from 2 separate 10 point deficits to take leads, but in the end, it was too much J.J. Redick, who hit 5 three-pointers in the second half and was named the tournament's MVP. The Eagles' Craig Smith and Jared Dudley were named to the all-tournament first team, and Louis Hinnant was named to the all-tournament second team.

Boston College is a #4 seed in the Minneapolis bracket, and will play the Tigers of Pacific University out of the Big West conference in Salt Lake City on Thursday in the first round. If form holds, the Eagles will play Nevada on Saturday.

20. Jedi_Drew

Jedi_Drew Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 14, 2004
    Hey Wildstar you should really edit your post so you don't post so much.

Drew

21. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Drew

When I post about sports, I'm usually posting about one day's events per post, and if I edited, people may miss out on the new information. It just looks like there could be one long post b/c no one else is posting about anything. [face_plain]

BTW, greetings...you from Boston? :D

22. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Boston College overcame a 6 point deficit in the first overtime period, then outscored the Pacific Tigers 14-2 in the second overtime to win their first-round game in the NCAA tournament, 88-76. Craig Smith, who led the Eagles with 25 points and 13 rebounds, made a pair of critical free throws with 4.5 seconds left in the first OT to send the game into the second overtime. BC will play the 12th seeded University of Montana Grizzlies out of the Big Sky conference, who upset the Nevada Wolfpack 87-79 in the second game of the afternoon in Salt Lake City, on Saturday.

23. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    BC caught a game Montana Grizzly team and only led by 2 at the half, but the Eagles pulled away in the second half and won 69-56 to advance to the "Sweet 16" for the first time since 1994, when they lost to Florida in the regional finals. Craig Smith led the Eagles with 22 points and 15 rebounds. Boston College now has a week to rest and will go to Minneapolis to play the winner of tomorrow's game between Villanova and Arizona on Friday night.

Edit: Boston College will play Villanova on Friday night.

24. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    BC's men's basketball season is over after a 60-59 overtime loss to the Villanova Wildcats in the "Sweet 16" round of the NCAA tournament at the Metrodome in Minnesota. Jared Dudley hit a three-pointer with 28 seconds left in regulation and Sean Williams blocked a Villanova three-point attempt at the buzzer to send the game into the overtime. Villanova scored the first five points in OT, and BC rallied back to take a one-point lead on a Craig Smith layup with twelve seconds left, but Williams was called for goaltending on a layup attempt by Villanova's Will Sheridan to give Villanova the 60-59 lead with three seconds left. The Eagles had one more chance to win, but Louis Hinnant missed a running three-pointer at the buzzer. Smith, who ends his BC career as their second all-time leading scorer and all-time leading rebounder, and Dudley scored 14 points apiece to lead the Eagles.

25. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Boston College forward Craig Smith was named a third team All-American by the Associated Press yesterday. Smith was an honorable mention selection last year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.