main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Reading and rereading

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by NYCitygurl, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I was having a conversation with my roommate's boyfriend a while back about rereading. He didn't understand why I was reading a book for the milliionth (okay, fifth or sixth) time since I already knew what happened, but rereading is even better, IMO, than reading. Yes, there are no surprises, but it's still enjoyable and I already know I like the story. Plus, I really do think you learn new things every time, things you hadn't picked up in previous readings.

What do you think? Read it once and put it down, or keep rereading the ones you like until you practically have them memorized?

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    keep rereading the ones you like until you practically have them memorized?

This. For pretty much exactly the same reasons you mentioned. This is also why I regularly buy books (though at used bookstores when possible) rather than go to the library.

3. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I didn't work during the school year and I'm paying for teh car this summer so my cash flow isn't very big and I've been using the library more than ever. However, this year I did buy/ask for 8 of my favorite books since I'd read them so much. If I know I'll reread them I buy them; otherwise I use the library, because what if I shell out $8 for a sucky book that I have no interest in rereading?

4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Rereading is cool. It is just like watching a movie again and again to me. Plus you more then likly will always see someting that you forgot the next time around.

5. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    This.

I will always buy and many times I'll reread something I've enjoyed many times. Half Price Books is one of my favorite places, I can spend hours in there.:)

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    If it's an entertaining story, it's an entertaining story. I love to reread books I enjoy -- it's experiencing that same good story again. It's the same reason I rewatch Anchorman or Batman Begins, or play through Call of Duty again, or watch Seinfeld reruns.

Not to mention being able to go back and pick up more, get more out of the story. I catch all kinds of things rereading books I've read even three or four times. The real question is why you wouldn't want to reread.:p

7. Darthrevan4ever

Darthrevan4ever Jedi Master star 6

May 3, 2008
    I reread books all the time I see them as old friends

8. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Its amazing how, as many times as I've read the Rogue Squadron series or LotR (and I've lost count)... I still manage to get more out of every rereading.

9. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I'll reread some, usually in the leadup to a new entry in the series. This has shown itself to be a wise plan, since I can't remember 90% of the people in the latest Malazan book because it's been years since I read the book they were last in. :p

Every book I own I've read at least twice, and most many more than that. Except the EU from the NJO onwards, and Planet of Twilight. :p

10. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    These days I keep only books I know I will reread. Some stories require rereading in order for all the themes and details to become obvious. For example, when I reread LOTR I saw more of the symbolism.

Then again, some stories are so good you just have to read them again for the sheer enjoyment.

11. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I love reading and I'm always looking for new authors and genres to read. I have 16 unread books at uni with me and more at home with my parents. There's always something nice about reading something new.

However, there's always something great about reading something again, be it for the second time or the twentieth time. It's like watching a film again and again. If there's a book or a film that you really like then you'll know you'll like it the next time, and the time after that, and so on. I've read my first adult novel so many times, and I'll read it many more times and still like it. I only really read for enjoyment, so if I enjoy a book why shouldn't I read it again and again?

One thing I won't do is read the same book twice in one go, I can understand why some people might but it's just not for me.

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I've done that a couple times when I've REALLY loved the book. Sharon Shinn, Maria V. Snyder.

13. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Generally the good books become better with a reread, and the bad books become worse.

14. Tiggermyk

Tiggermyk Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2009
    Not only do you pick up on stuff you didn't the first time, but I also find that I may suddenly view a character's actions in the beginning in a different light now that I know the character's motivation(s) (revealed in the end).

15. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    That's very true - and especially so when it comes to longer series. On a similar note, it makes it a lot easier to pick on on subtle foreshadowing and stuff along those lines. Little hints that can easily be missed at first but are very noticeable when being read again.

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree. I recently reread a series, and there was a ton of foreshadowing I hadn't picked up on.

17. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I've never really been able to enjoy reading books I've already read before. I've got a fairly good memory for story and plot, so it's usually hard for it to keep my interest through more than one read (that I have difficulty finding books worth reading in the first place may have something to do with this, though...). Still, there are a few that I've gone through a half-dozen times or so, like Butcher and Bujold.

18. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I've reread books. I believe star by star is the only book i've read more than twice. I want to reread all of the dresden file books, the lord of the rings trilogy, traitor, and the terry goodkind books.

19. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I really enjoy rereading, for pretty much the same reasons as Nat stated. It is always fun to discover things you missed the first or second time through.

20. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I love re-reading books.

21. Topper_Harley

Topper_Harley Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2008
    The only books I've reread so far are Star Wars. I think I'd like to read the Death Gate cycle again.

22. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Generally, if I own a book, it is because I liked it so much that I want to reread it. There are certain books that stay with me. This one series, the Heir Series, I've practically got memorized because I've read it so often. Books like that series, the Harry Potter books, Tamora Pierce's Song of the Lioness Series... they're in my mind forever.

I get a lot of books out of the library, which means rereading is challenging, but even then, if it moves me so much that I want to read it over and over again, I will fork out the cash. I love rereading. And I read so fast that it takes many rereads for me to really have gotten every single word.

23. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    I pretty much only buy books I've read at least once via the library or borrowing from someone. That I way I know I enjoy them and will get my money's worth out of them by reading them again and again. I don't understand why some people think that only buying books I've read is odd, but buying only movies I've seen is normal.

24. Malaki

Malaki Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 16, 2003
    I re-read quite often, especially when it comes to series. after waiting one to two years (or god forbid three or more) for the next book, you need a bit of a refresher on what went on before. Then there are those other books that grab you for some reason, and you have to return to that world again and again.

25. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I read for many reasons. Yes, I enjoy experiencing new stories, but that's only one reason to read. Mostly, I read for the joy of reading.

I know that sounds recursive, but think about it. Have you ever read a passage that was just so beautiful, so descriptive, so inspiring, that you wanted to just soak it up? One such passage for me is the arrival of the Riders of Rohan at the battle of Pelleanor Fields from Lord of the Rings. I could reread that over and over again.

Some books I read just because they are fun to read. Consider the Lensman series, by E. E "Doc" Smith (from which I take my user name). It is one of the earliest space operas, and it has a unique style and vocabulary that makes it just a good, fun, read. Is it deeply intellectual? Not in the slightest, but it makes great "bubblegum for the mind".

And that is really the key. I read because it is fun. It doesn't matter whether I've read it before or not. There are different joys you can experience from any time through reading a book.

Kimball Kinnison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.