main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Religious Freedom and the Affordable Care Act

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    This goes right to the crux of the matter. Even if a woman wants to use contraception for reasons "other" than "medical", ie for actual prevention of pregnancy, that is between her and her doctor. As a physician, I take extreme exception to the idea that the free exercise clause must always be controlling and take precedent over a doctor's ability to treat patients according to the standards of evidence-based medicine.

The simple fact is, a minority-and yes, they are a minority-of religious conservatives have loudly repeated the lie that the Constitution was "intended" to protect freedom to practice one's faith, even if it infringes upon the liberty of others, without any restriction whatsoever. They have also insisted that the inability to pass laws restricting the private behavior of others somehow constitutes a violation of said religious freedom.

The arguments are not only blatantly false, but have now crossed the line into offensive, as well. For a major political party in the United States to relitigate the "right" for a woman to use birth control in the 21st century is embarrassing. For the GOP to hold hearings on this without including any women or calling any to testify would be laughable, if it weren't so dangerous.

The only thing that is going to get through to them is a landslide loss in November. I'm not sure that it's going to happen, but I think it's a lot more likely than it was even just 2 months ago. The more to the right they swing, the better Obama looks. Barring a major economic or foreign policy catastrophe, or a terrorist attack, or insanely high gas prices come election day, Obama is likely a lock. I would even go so far as to say that the GOP hold on the House, and their chances in the Senate, are in jeopardy as well.

The problem is overreach. The Susan G. Komen controversy ended when the decision was reversed; pro-choice voters didn't stand up and demand that the President make a renewed push for the long-defunct Freedom of Choice Act. With the contraception controversy, the opposition is pushing a position that is not supported by a majority of Americans, and it is likely to cost them.

All the outrage is from non-Obama supporters to begin with; the longer this goes, the more independents will potentially vote for Obama just to neutralize the GOP in November.

Peace,

V-03