main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive Revamping the Guilds - Now Discussing the Characters Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by DarthXan318, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    In terms of something new, I have been looking at the RPR for a few weeks now, wishing there was somewhere I could go to ask about comparative starship stats, or just to view a comparative list or table.

Certainly with me, the perceived focus of a guild or thread is enough to stop me using it to its full potential.

Someone on here said games could be discussed in social threads; I didn't know. Whenever I visited, it always looked like some random nonsense being bounced back and forth, the occasional discussion of a new LucasArts product, or roleplay of an actual drinking establishment.

Similar reason why I do not think CDG needs to be re-launched, for once there has been a reminder of what it is there for, is enough for me.
    No need for a second version, for what stops that from being sidetracked down the line.

In attempting to quote who did the CDG reminder, I did read LordTroepfchen's observations on guilds, social threads, and one or two GMs shutting games pre-maturely; and found them echoing my experience.

2. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Alright, and with that its time to move forward into phase 2.

We've done our talking, we've said our pieces. Now we need to start forming all this into something we can work off.

To this end, I will start this off with an outline of a vision of the RPF that I would like to see.

After we decide what exactly we think is needed, then we can touch on the specifics of each group.

So:

RPR Mk. III

Guilds - Tri Guild Plan
    1.) Restart Game Designer's Guild
    2.) Create Game Master's Guild
    3.) Create Character Development Guild

Social Thread
    1.) Jocasta's remains as a non-RPing/non-RPF place

Public Service
    1.) Some sort of a thread to speak earnestly about or disassemble cliques (a mixer? an advice board? an education board? I dunno)
    2.) Adoptions (Game only. I still want to keep something in WNU. We can run a parallel welcome thread here, or whatever)
    3.) Create Theory Central (This will come at the large expense of the Guilds, but will give them more room to review and focus on ideas)
    4.) Grand Central (The linky/indexy idea Seremela mentioned)

Ideas to be passed on
    1.) RPers Guild
    2.) New "Intro Service"

Alright. So I think this can be a pretty good plan. Its pretty generous on making new stuff, but the stuff I was on the fence about (like the Theory thread), can be used to help make certain changes elsewhere.

So now we talk about if this is the RPR we want to have. Are these pieces enough? Or is it too much?

If you have an alternate macro-vision on how the RPR should look, you can present it here too. Or amend and tweak this one.

The idea behind this whole process is that once we decide what threads we are working with, it will be easier to start talking about the specific changes that need to happen in each little area... partitioning responsibilities accordingly so that no area is undercovered, and so that there is no redundancy. While there might be some need to talk about small things here (ex: I envision the new guilds to be less theory, more review and peer oriented), I think its sometimes best to work from top to bottom.

So. Weigh in. Good idea as I lay out? Or changes... somewhere?

I think everybody has a little bit of something from their ideas in it.

-I_H

3. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Okay, as nobody wants to begin. My two cents. One-by-one or in small groups.

RPR Mk. III

Guilds - Tri Guild Plan
    1.) Restart Game Designer's Guild
    2.) Create Game Master's Guild
    3.) Create Character Development Guild

Fine. I am still for the clear cut and name-change, but otherwise, fine. I would like to implement one idea ignored so far into this . . . but that´s better for the next point to discuss.

Social Thread
    1.) Jocasta's remains as a non-RPing/non-RPF place

Have ´em all game-free zones. And let´s do a Player´s Club. A thread where you can exclusively talk social stuff that gotta do with games. From "I feel burnt out" . . . over "ManCubs was awesome today" to . . . "Anybody wants to meet with my stormie in 13345683 ABY?" to "Can someone give me a little help with ship-scales?" or "My game is open for new players. Come and join!" This is stuff people don´t wanna see in social threads? then move it out and let them do the "fun-talk" and computer games over there.

Public Service
    1.) Some sort of a thread to speak earnestly about or disassemble cliques (a mixer? an advice board? an education board? I dunno)

Sorry to join the bad habit, but I can see the future and I can see that people will say there is no problem. They have no idea what we´re talking about. Often people are not even aware, I guess. Let´s just accept no everybody like everybody and leave it be . . .

2.) Adoptions (Game only. I still want to keep something in WNU. We can run a parallel welcome thread here, or whatever)

I doubt the idea of adoption. The path to better newbie involvement lies elsewhere . . .

3.) Create Theory Central (This will come at the large expense of the Guilds, but will give them more room to review and focus on ideas)
    4.) Grand Central (The linky/indexy idea Seremela mentioned)

Agreed. Totally agreed.

Ideas to be passed on
    1.) RPers Guild
    2.) New "Intro Service"

Already said we should have a Player´s Club for social talk about games. That´s what I think an RPer guild is meant to be. Everything else is covered by a broader design of a CDG. The new Intro-Service is not needed. We just should accept broader measures of recruiting there, like searching for Co-GMs and regular call for players (as long as it is not spam)

4. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Mmm, I don't think a Player's Club will work. Having a Character Developers Guild and a Players Club is essentially the same as having a Character Designer's Guild and a Role Players Guild only with different names, and that idea has been nixed by various people. And there's no need to make all the social threads RPG-free zones - in fact I feel that's counterproductive, because then we're going to have nothing to talk about. :p

Provisionally - this is still up for discussion - this is how I would divide it up:

"I feel burnt out" and "ManCubs was awesome today" can go in the social threads. I'd like to reiterate that this sort of discussion has never been shut down in any social thread. It's only planning new games we tend to redirect.
    "Anybody wants to meet with my stormie in 13345683 ABY?" and "Can someone give me a little help with ship-scales?" can go in the Character Developers Guild. This should actually be right down its alley, I think.
    "My game is open for new players. Come and join!" should be in the RPG Introduction Thread.

Sorry to join the bad habit, but I can see the future and I can see that people will say there is no problem. They have no idea what we´re talking about. Often people are not even aware, I guess. Let´s just accept no everybody like everybody and leave it be . . .

Considering the number of people who have pointed to cliques as a problem, I'm not sure I agree that everyone will say there's nothing wrong. That said, this thread mostly looking for ways to solve it, because this is a problem that can't be solved by benevolent mod fiat. If we want to solve our RPFs cliques problem, we as a community have to work on it. That's what the thread's for.

I doubt the idea of adoption. The path to better newbie involvement lies elsewhere . . .

The exact form of the Adoptions program can go on the drawing board again too (if so, I'll point Ktala towards this thread for her input), but I think we're stuck with having one. We could move the Adoptions game back to the RPF though and rename it something less patronising.

5. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    If people are having problems with the name Adoptions and are looking for an respectful alternative name. How about calling it The Role-Playing Guidance Program (for beginning RPers)

6. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Concerning Cliques, well, I guess addressing the Cliques might be a good idea, I am actually eager to see who responses and who doesn´t. If the right people don´t show up, it will be a senseless discussion. I´ll be there. I think of my "Clique" (which is three people, I think) I am the only one who never runs from the fight. But takes it. So, I might be the right envoi of "us".

Therefore I would like to divide among Cliques in the sense I used it (Fin convinced me "Gangs" might be to hard a term) in my first post here and nationality. Because I feel the second one might be part of a problem for some. I don´t want to hide though that I think, after giving it a lot of thought, that the "competition-system" here is useful in rising the quality, but the Cliques are a DIRECT RESULT of it. And the tension surely is. People loose to people they cosnider part of another group. Who likes that? Give us a tourney or an award and there it is. Multiplied.

Concerning the Social Threads, I am afraid the Mods have not yet understood how the dynamics work. People consider them free zones, others game-free-zones . . . we can say ManCubs is awesome but not Can somone help me with ship stats?

My character need a droid!? Does anybody know where it is written that XY can do XY? How does 133 ABY actually works? How does this System Lord plays? Where would these three questions go now? I must say I could only guess.

We got rules here I cannot really understand and use. Forget the Player´s Club, but we need to streamline this. So people stop discussing about what is okay to post where? Then again there are people who think the core of that is the Cliques, anyway. So we might just be back at Square One.

Concerning Adoptions.

I think nobody wants to limit adoptions. I can´t talk for Fin, but I agree Adoptions is not the path to newbie education. It is it´s entry point. After that we fail, actually. The games are not there. The training games are to patronizing. The community too closed. I think we should consider Fin´s approach of a "cool newbie" game once more. One that is a game, first. A game, second. For newbies, third. Fun, fourth and then somewhere on fifth position, it is a training game.

Look not only at AU Tatooine, look at Vulture´s Talon. There are 50% newbies of sorts and they are amused and loving it. Because it´s a cool game.

Ktala had done a great job over there, though. It really worked for those who seeked guidance.

7. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Okay, I see my post was a little to unprecise. Sorry.

Ktala and her adoptions program work and work well . . . actually. I really believe though. But Ktala cannot do this alone. No way, anyone can take care of the newbies alone. Our player nubmers go down here. I don´t know if there are any statistics, but I assume they do. And it isn´t only there are no mvies. I have examples of people feeling us to be totally unapproachable, inaccessible. That might not be true, many games are welcoming to newbies, but it seems to be worse than a few years ago. I was welcomed here. I found games I could join. I found new friends. I think having a better welcome for them when they come HERE might be the solution. More awareness of the existing problem is surely the key here and an approachable, service oriented RPR that gives them help . . . directly not through FAQs but through people talking to you . . . might help a lot, too.

In my experience newbies stay, when they are talked to and integrated.

The Cliques . . . oh well . . . the cliques. Groups. Social Circles. Gangs. Sub-cultures. Friends. Call it whatever you want.
    First, LordT just hit me like a hammer. Not a banhammer, not even an imperial one. A revelation-hammer. He is right. It´s the shadow of our system of healthy competition. People loose. And people always disliked to loose. And maybe that´s it? I would love to hear others opinions about that. I heared this the first time and it feels true.

8. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Hmm. I think I see what the confusion is here, but I'm not sure how I can explain it any differently from what's been posted before.

The distinction is between games in progress and prospective games, and between comments (like Man Cubs is awesome) and requests for information (like Can someone help me with ship stats?).

A comment like "Man Cubs is awesome" is kinda the same to me as "The weather is awesome". It's a comment - it's not really about anything. Similarly I could say "The Dark Odyssey is awesome," "The Lightsaber Combat thread is awesome," "My new puppy is awesome." Asking about ship stats though ... there's enough info there to fill up its own thread, as you can see.

Too, the ship stats question could conceivably fall under the Character Developers Guild. Or, come to think of it, Game Theory. I dunno. The Man Cubs comment can't, though if worded differently ("I love how Elora is developing in Man Cubs", say) it could go under the Character Developers Guild. It's all about the context and purpose of the post. [ETA: It also depends of course on the exact purposes of these threads, which we'll talk about. Certainly if you guys want we can move all game discussion out of Jocasta's, or the other way around...]

But are we in agreement about the new threads format Imp outlined?

9. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
    Again, I feel this discussion of cliques is irrelevant. They're going to happen, and mods can't solve that. Sure, we could stop doing tournaments, but tournaments are in fact a type of RP, and free to be started at any time by any one. Limiting them, to me, isn't a logical solution. But, I won't go on any further for the time being and instead get on to what I think of imps suggested plan.

I do like the suggested guild plan. It's probably the best we will get.

To limit Jocasta's completely RP free is kinda foolish to me. We are an RP'ing community, and things will flow over. As well, people seem to think that the mods don't understand this. In my experience, it is only when the social thread becomes too much about one set topic that the mods have issues with it. They don't tend to complain if four or five posts go that route and then we move on. So, it's not really that big an issue. People won't be, say, banned for going that route briefly.

A thread to disassemble cliques could work, I suppose. It would need the community behind it though. It's not something the mods themselves can do. I am sadly not very familiar with the Adoptions program. I should be, I know, but as far as I know it works pretty well the way it is. Issues that have already been brought up in regards to this are correct, I believe. Grand Central, as I've said previously, is an idea I really like. If I understand theory central, then I like that as well.

I know that that was not much help, but I personally don't see a lot of work needing to be done from a concept standpoint.

10. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Ok sorry I didn't get more elaborate in the discussion I am still medicated from getting my wisdom tooth pulled out. Bare with me please hopefully I make sense.

Adoptions: -Now with the Adoptions the name can change if needed as I mentioned a new one in the quote. As far as how it's done, well I think Ktala is doing a great job. If there needs to be help then she should be the one to find someone that has been active with the Adoptions/Academy. I have complete faith in her to do so when needed. As far as I can see and I can be wrong. Like many rps the academy has it's ups and downs with disappearances of newbies and volunteers. So it might be slower and easier to mangage than it appears.

There can be some sort of connection other than a link to it in the RPR. Maybe it's own discussion/advice thread. That way all ideas, questions or comments can be directed from there. There also might be a few newbies who don't go in to the Welcome section that may want to sign up. The thread can help them by guiding them to the Adoptions Program and any other advice they may need.

Social Threads: - Now I have frequented the social threads on many of occasions and I admit that I probably post less in Hoopers than any other. This is due to game talk that I have no knowledge of because I am not in the games they are talking about. I don't begrudge them for talking about it, I just go on my merry way. Still I sometimes wish that there was less talk of games in progress but since there needs to be a certain amount of people palying in games to have their own RPR thread. It leaves little choice and the social threads are the only options. If there can be a possible adjutsment pertaining to opening an RPR thread then I am all for it. Any other discussion like character development or game development should be in their proper setting in the guilds. I have no qualms on that.

Cliques: -Now seeing that I don't feel I belong in any clique, do I think they exist. Sure, but from what I have seen most of the cliques are not univiting. It's just people who are used to seeing eachother around the RPF or various other forums. We can't fault them for that. Now the trick is to look friendly. Yes this might be more trickier than one thinks. This is where the Social threads come in to play. Where people let go of their characters and be themselves. This should be a place of welcoming all.

Now if the cliques extend to games referring to rules of player limits and exp. Then I will say that this can be disheartning. I remember when I was a newbie and wanted to play in a game that mentioned experienced players only. I didn't know at the time what the requirement for experience was here. Was it your Reg Date or EXP on other boards? So I as most newbies do found games by other newbies. This was fine for awhile until I realized I wanted to grow more as an rper and to do means to be with more quality players. That's just me and I feel I grew from that, there maybe others that might feel similar.

So I would say to GM's who are looking for experienced players to not over look a new player who may have experience. Now not all do and every GM has the right to approve or not approve. I just feel that sometimes in games if appraoached the right way, you can actually teach someone the finer etiquettes of rping without being too instructive.

Ok enough rambling from me. Hope it made sense if not sorry for that.:p

11. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Alrighty then, it sounds like we have a consensus for Imp's plan. :p

Moving on to Phase 3!

Now we outline exactly what each of 'em mean.

The thing is we don't have that much more to talk about regarding the 3 Guilds, Theory Central or Grand Central, until we actually have draft charters to look at. So I propose we hand this off to the relevant users to work up, namely:

Game Designer's Guild - Imperial_Hammer
    Game Master's Guild - DarkLordOfTheFins, still willing?
    Theory Central - DarthXan318, unless someone else wants to do it.
    Grand Central - Involves a lot of editing, so your friendly neighbourhood Mod Tag Team will do it

The cliques discussion thread will be started shortly - look out for that.

That leaves 2 things still on the table.

Character Development Guild - Who wants to do this?
    Adoptions game/program - I am still not entirely sure what the consensus is here, so the floor is still open. What do we wanna do about Adoptions, exactly? Is it working, or isn't it?

[u]Note: Cancelled Ideas[/u]
    Role Players Guild
    Character Designers Guild (to be closed to make way for Character Development Guild)
    New "Intro Service"

12. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    I'm really glad this will be coming, I think it will help new players a great deal. BUT... please, please, please don't call it that! There was a reason I called it 'Games open to new players': that name makes immediately clear what it's for, it's not cryptic at all. Whereas 'Grand Central'... what the heck is that?

I do think that's a problem with this forum, the names of threads. No, I don't think that's a small thing, actually. I think it's one of the reasons why it's difficult to find the place you need.

This, what LordT says:

That's what I feel as well. Where do I go with my questions? When I came here, what did I know of guilds, guilds sound like established groups, like I must have some experience with gaming here before I can join them. And I'm here to play games, so why would I join them anyway? But what if I'd just been rejected for the second game I tried to get in, where then could I've gone to ask for help in making a better character sheet?

So why *not* call the threads 'How to design a game', 'How to develop a character', and something that would make clear what 'Theory Central' is for, because I'm afraid I don't get that one. Is it a place to discuss all things that have to do with gaming? Like the questions LordT gives as an example? So a bit along the line of what Fins suggested in 'The Players' Club'? Or something else entirely? Theory Central suggests to me something far more heavy, like the analasis of Rachel (? I think it's hers but I'm not sure) about the optimum amount of players for a game, things like that. If that's what it's for, I guess than the name is just right.

Yes, when you've been on this forum for a while you learn what the threads are for no matter what the name, but why not making it clear from the start?

I just don't get the fondness for the name 'Guild'. As I already said, a Guild suggests something that's closed off, that's for already established members. (It's why I do think 'The Games Masters' Guild' is an excellent name) Wouldn't it be far better to have names that invite new people to go there and post questions? Ask advice? And in doing so get contact with established players? Feel welcome?

13. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    ^^^^

This. I'd like to think, personally, that the fact I named the FAQs just plain old "New GMs start here" and "New Players start here" is a reason why they get read. Simple naming is good. What's in a name, as someone once said... :D

14. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Still willing, yes. My GMG is ready to go . . .

And I think we need to talk about names . . .

15. pashatemur

pashatemur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2004
    Compelled by Xany I offer by way of alternative "names" to "Guilds" the following:

Conglomerate, Masters, Masons, Crafters, artisans, company, gestalt....

I was speaking somewhat tongue in cheek, but I do see that action words are wanted as clearly, getting people "in the door" is as important as the content is helpful.

Perhaps, "Crafting Games", "Developing Characters", etc. would help and thus the groups become, "crafters", "developers", etc.

Respectfully,
    Pash

16. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    I still like the ideas of "Groups" more and have the membership be a thing of the past . . . open to everyone.

Anyway, we should get rid of the "Guild" as I think their name have a bad rings to them. They have been great in their time and are now something that has outlived itself. Just like the guilds in history have.

17. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Alright alright...

On the current topic of names, I am of the personal belief that the answer to the question of "whats in a name" is absolutely nothing at all. However, if a few of you others disagree, as it seems that you do, then we can change the name. In the end, I'm not going to mount a vigorous defense for the name of guild or not. I'm more concerned with how they work and that they work well.

So Grand Central, yah go call it something else. That was more of a working name than anything. Guild can be group, club, association, union, society, whatever. I am a little opposed to "how-do" or "how-to" titles, because I feel those are more misleading than Guild to be honest. We're not offering a how-to. Those can be seen in Saints' posts, and they are set, one-shot things. These are dynamic, discussion areas, so the titles should reflect as such.

I would like the wrap this issue up as soon as possible. Its a small issue in a much bigger adventure.

Soooo, I propose:

Game Master's Guild -> Game Master's Group
    Game Designer's Guild -> Game Designer's Group
    Character Designer's Guild -> Character Development Group

(We can keep our familiar abbreviations with group, which I like)

Theory Central -> Gaming Philosophy Group
    Grand Central -> RPG Information Thread

We all savvy with this?

On the discussion of social threads, I'm afraid I was misunderstood about it being exclusively non-RPG talk. I mainly just meant that we keep the status quo. Light RPG talk is permissible, but any heavy duty discussion should be moved to an appropriate thread. For those who have expressed confusion as to the line, I think its simple. Light sort of talk not really related to the craft (short comments, opinions, remarks) are permissible, but questions that require the response of another user kind find threads elsewhere. Its a water-cooler sort of environment, a place where the community is supposed to come together and talk about other things.

Xan explained this correctly, so what I typed above made more confusion, default to hers.

On Adoptions, I think keeping a presence in WNU is something that absolutely needs to happen. But I'm not opposed to bringing the game over here.... restarting if needed to make it "cooler". It requires a special sort of something to get these sort of adoption-appropriate games off the ground floor. I've seen two now come and go, so this is not something that should be taken lightly.

On cliques and competition, yes and no, in my opinion. Yes, competition inspires rivalry. This could be as strong as a truth. However, the problem is when this rivalry becomes bitter or antagonistic. I consider Greyjedi and Winged_Jedi personal rivals in which I certainly have competed and continue to compete against. But I bear them no ill will, in fact I admire them. If it is competition that is spurring cliquish behavior, then we need to foster healthy competition. If its something else, well then something else will be needed.

As to its irrelevancy, while I recognize its something that might be difficult if not impossible to solve, I just don't like throwing my hands up in the air and doing nothing. Especially when it is clearly causing some discord around here. So even if it does nothing at all, I think we can at least look at ourselves a little better knowing that we tried.

So I think we can start rolling something like this out in phases. I don't really see an advantage one way or the other, so long as things are done relatively close to each-other. All three groups don't have to be up at the same time, but if two of the three have been up for half a year, and we still have one not updated, it could throw off the balance.

If Fins is ready and eager to get his GMG up, I see no reason why we can't do a final discussion of it here before launch, and then have it up in a week or so. Put it at the top of the agenda. GDG II is in a draft phase, and will also be advanced as soon as I get some time to finish it up. Whoever decides to take CDG can do it later, hopefully we don't have to

18. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    So, I believe I'm the one responsible for making the new Character Thread, no? I can do that.

19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'll be frank here and say that if competition is what's inspiring cliquishness than I have clearly misunderstood the gist of that portion of the debate until this point. It seems to me that clique behavior would be the outgrowth of who one "hangs out with" in whatever sense that applies to an online setting, and who one spends time with in no way correlates to animosity about games.

For hopefully neutral simplicity's sake, let's say Bill and Bob both play in ZOMG STAR WARS, which is an RP. Now, let's say James is not in ZOMG STAR WARS, and prefers to "hang out" (Again, the whole online thing kind of makes this squirrelly) with other people who aren't in ZOMG STAR WARS.

Am I seriously supposed to conclude this is because James is jealous of the success of ZOMG STAR WARS? That makes little or no sense to me, sorry.

20. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Well, yeah I am ready and willing to do GMG and yes the concept has developed . . . the original was after all a challenge entry with the diea of bringing it to reality eventually. I will write up my next draf and post it here at the weekend. Due to real life issues it won´t be any faster than that. The idea remains, obviously. A place where GM can discuss all relevant things concerning everydayy GMing, AFTER the game is off the ground. Especially player-management, dramaturgy and problem-solving. I also want to have an open door policy for anything else people feel should not go to the GDG concerning GMing.

To the other issues. I advocated Groups from the beginning and I like it. The names are very good now.

Lightwarden should indeed redo his guild into a group. He did a great job over there.

21. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    Begins to chant: GMG! GMG! GMG![face_praying]

22. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Send it to the Mods, so they can spelling correct it (after all I am german, so I do mistakes when it comes to english) and have a first look. Whenever you feel like it it, Xany, Imp, post it and let the discussion begin!

23. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Cliques aren't a problem, solidarity amongst them is.

Sometimes I'm frustrated by a trend that I see developing in the cliques: voting in the Awards. Yeah, okay, probably you'll vote for those you play with/are pals with. But sometimes it's all a bit much that the same people are constantly nominated and the same groups dominate the wins.

If this sounds like the kettle calling the pot black (or vice versa, or calling the other white - who am I to say what's normal in a kettle/pot relationship?), I can really only say that I rarely vote in the awards nowadays, simply because it's become a bit like the BC Liberal party (Canadian political metaphors!) - you vote for anyone but the incumbent or those favoured to win, your vote doesn't count.

24. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Without further ado ... the GMG Draft by Fins!

[hl=orange][color=red][b]The Game Masters Group[/b][/color][/hl]

[image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3126/2863469496_6920591173.jpg]

[b]Introduction[/b]

Games are the blood to the RPF's body. The art of game mastering is the equivalent of keeping the blood flowing. It is vital to the RPF Community. Therefore it is needed to keep our skills sharp and our technique strong and make our games enjoyable. To make them thrilling. Amusing. Sad. Desirable. Not only for our players. No, also for ourselves. We are the GMs. Without us, there won´t be games. This is a group for all those who tell their stories, master their games and keep their dungeons. Here we shall gather and discuss. About the tricks and methods, highs and lows, problems and highlights of being a GM out there. In general or for any specific game.
    [u][i]
    Our three missions[/i][/u]
    [i]
    1. Help with specific problems[/i]

Whenever a member feels he needs advice he is free to ask. Should the problem be present or even if it is in the future, we will discuss it and see if our combined experience will help to solve it. I want this to be a practical help. Therefore we will deal with practical questions, first.

[i]2. Learn and teach how to GM[/i]

Producing player-interest, storyline development, traps to avoid, promotion for games, structuring them, player-cabs and player-numbers. What works and what not? Dos and DoNots. Chances, experiences, tricks and techniques to create suspense, generate interest, develop characters and guide player through stories. Workload, frustration and effort of playing games shall also be discussed. Here you share them, here you ask about them and here you can read all about them.

[i]3. Discussion[/i]

This is a place to discuss and to learn. And I mean a place where everybody can discuss and all of us can learn something. Because there is no school and no book that teaches you to do a good game. There is not even an adoption program, like the players have one. All there is and will ever be is us. So let us share our wisdom and learn from each other. So our games will get better and better with each post.

This guild will limit itself to the games themselves. For opening posts and game design we gladly hand over to our brothers at the GDG. And we have enough to talk about, I guess.

[i]What we demand . . . [/i]

There is a simple rule among members. One. We are not rivals. Sounds simple but it is something that is lost to many GMs in this community. Who comes here does so to make others games and his own better. Criticism will be brought forth with as much seriousness and honesty, but also courtesy and respect, as possible.

[i]
    Membership[/i]

There are no privileges and no special members. Whoever is interested in this discussion, can join. Only remark that you´re a member in your signature or you profile and you can consider yourself one of us.

So come and join, my friends. We got GMing to do . . .

25. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I strongly disagree with the wording used in talking of rivalries between GMs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.