main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC RIP Robert B. Sherman (1925 - 2012)

Discussion in 'Community' started by HL&S , Mar 6, 2012.

1. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    The Academy Award winning lyricist and songwriter has passed away. He and his brother Richard M. Sherman are responsible for numerous classics you might recall while growing up. They wrote the score to Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Charlottes Web, the Sword in the Stone, The Jungle Book, Winnie the Pooh, and Snoopy Come Home. They also did other songs like "Let's Get Together" from the Parent Trap, the theme to Disneys Wonderful World of Color, the song There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, The Tikki Tikki Tikki Room, The Monkey's Uncle, and It's A Small World. Not to mention the hit "You're Sixteen" sung by Johnny Burnette.

I felt he deserved his own memorial thread given his contributions in entertainment and my childhood.

You're Sixteen

The Monkey's Uncle

The Tikki Tikki Tikki Room

Feed the Birds (from Mary Poppins)

2. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    B. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney?!

3. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
  4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, I saw this earlier. Quite sad. He and his brother have given so much to the world of both film and theme parks. I was just at the Tiki Room the other day, singing along with every word as usual. Love the Sherman brothers.

-sj loves kevin spacey

5. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    This is an odd one.

Lost of facebook messages saying how this is awful and a great loss etc. But really it isn't. His work in the 60s was phenomenal and his music will never be forgotten. But he was an old man who lived a full life and wasn't exactly in the prime of his writing career.

I'm grateful for all the music he wrote and love all of it to bits, but will I "miss him"? Not really, no.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Feed the Birds was Walt Disney's most favourite song, so they did something right there.

Shame about also doing It's a Small World After All, a song they no doubt play in Hell on repeat to torment fallen souls.

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

Well, sure, but it's still a time to remember someone's great work and pay tribute to how their life affected a lot of people in a positive way :)

-sj loves kevin spacey

8. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Oh I agree. It's all the "won't be the same without him" stuff. It will be the same.

9. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

It's the song that plays in my head when Threepio appears for the first time in TPM.

10. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    A film that no doubt plays in Hell on repeat to torment fallen souls.

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    RIP I very much enjoy you music.

And Mort, that'd be heaven for me. :p