main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Rising Confidence - - repost/revision - - Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon - - one-post

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ardavenport, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Title: Rising Confidence
    Author: ardavenport
    Timeframe: pre-Episode I, pre-TPM
    Genre: drama, humor
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn
    Keywords: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi, the Force
    Summary: A confidence building exercise for Obi-Wan. Repost from the Qui-Gon Challenge Thread under the name, 'Mediation Exercise'.
    Notes: Typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers do not catch being my speciality - if you see any, just post a reply or send a PM with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.
    Disclaimer: All characters and the Star Wars universe belong to George and Lucasfilm; I am just playing in their sandbox.

?You are distracted, my Padawan,? Qui-Gon said without opening his eyes.

?Yes, Master.?

Obi-Wan breathed deeply, but otherwise did not move. He sat up straight, cross-legged on the cushioned mediation pedestal.

What was the lesson in this? he wondered. Or was Qui-Gon just showing off?

Obi-Wan had not been Qui-Gon?s apprentice for very long and that had already been fairly tumultuous. He was finally feeling comfortable with his renewed bond with his Master. But now he felt less . . . secure. He knew this sort of demonstration happened sometimes. He just hadn?t been expecting it.

He looked about the windowless, circular meditation chamber. It was one of several near their rooms in the Jedi Temple. Covered lighting units in the ceiling and high on the walls illuminated the room with a soft, shadowless half-light, perfect for contemplation. A curling pattern decorated the floor below in muted browns, tans and blues.

?Obi-Wan.? Qui-Gon, also cross-legged on a blue cushion on his own pedestal, spoke quietly, not critical or demanding, but still firm. ?Focus.?

Obi-Wan closed his eyes. He cleared his thoughts, quieting the random clutter of living. Through this stillness he perceived the Force, a glowing, luminous energy in the room and outside.

And mostly in that energy, he perceived Qui-Gon, a solid, dense and steady presence, bright with confidence that touched and lifted up everything in the room. Obi-Wan felt it all around him. And especially under him.

Without warning and with the swift confidence of a Jedi Master, Qui-Gon had changed this mediation to an active exercise, breaking Obi-Wan?s initial concentration. But Obi-Wan?s reaction - - and inarticulate yelp - - had not affected him at all. The older man remained seated on his own pedestal that stayed firmly on the floor, while the other three in the room hovered high up near the ceiling. Including Obi-Wan?s.

Insecurity in himself threatened Obi-Wan's calm as he sensed his Master?s ease with the Force . . . and a tiny bit of expectation from the older man and . . . hope. Insight brightened in Obi-Wan?s mind, telling him his part in this new and unexpected trial.

Very slowly, and with a scraping noise on the floor, Qui-Gon?s pedestal rose. It lurched just a hand?s breadth up and stopped. It was only a modest effort. The pedestal drifted sideways a little and then back as Obi-Wan?s doubts faded, his Master?s gentle guidance flowing to him through their bond.

And down below, Qui-Gon remained still, peaceful and now content.

= = = End = = =

2. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Beautiful, Anne. =D= The tone is so quiet and understated, but powerful--like the two Jedi themselves, and the bond between them. Wonderful, wonderful, won-der-ful. I could read you all day.

3. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    oh, yeah, me too. i always read your stuff. :)

4. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    Utterly beautiful, you put so much in such a short piece [face_love]

5. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    LuvEwan: Thank-you! The teaching moments can be the best between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. :) I just wish I could write faster, or that there weren't so many other distractions.

ratna: Thanks! :) I do always read the replies, too, though I'm a bit slow responding.

Seremela: Thank-you! :)

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Beautifully done, but that is no surprise. :D

=D=

7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    again one of your moving and very entertaining pieces=D= I read them all:)

8. JediKaren

JediKaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2007
    lol poor obi wan. I would have so freaked.

9. Icepaw_Kenobi

Icepaw_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2009
    Aw, really sweet! [face_love]

Poor Obi! He always has such a tough time of things! :p

Great job! =D= =D=

10. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    ...... catching up, catching up on replies to replies......

VaderLVR64, earlybird-obi-wan, JediKaren, Icepaw_Kenobi: Thanks for reading! Jedi padawans do have to keep on their toes when their masters surprise them. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.