main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Road trip!

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by DarthYosef, Dec 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthYosef

DarthYosef Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2001
    I'm thinking that maybe a road trip to Celebration would be the best option. If I go, I'm going to be going with two friends who can both drive. I live in southern California, do you think it would be a good idea?

2. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Obviously you'll want to weigh out the cost of an airplane ticket vs. travel time/lodging/fast food...it will probably take you at least 3-4 days with little rest time I would imagine.

Of course, taking a country-wide road trip would be an awesome experience that you may not ever get to do again....if you have the time to drive there and back, then that might be the better way to enjoy the whole experience...assuming your car doesn't break down or anything.

3. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "I've been from one side of this country to the other"... With my family on vacation and it's not the greatest experience. But if I could go crosscountry with my best friends to a *STAR WARS CONVENTION* of all things, I'd jump at the chance! Now, I only live about 5 hours from Indianapolis so the road trip isn't what I'm doin', but it sounds cool....... That is, if you don't mind the cost. :)

4. Obi-Kaufman

Obi-Kaufman Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2000
    I'm planning on a kind of accelerated road trip if you want to call it that. An estimated 12 hour drive from north Georgia to lovely downtown Indianapolis. A first for me and my friend who is coming along. Of course, we allowed for pit stops, fast food, and switching driver responsibilities. And 12 hours worth of Star Wars soundtracks is all we need!!! A total trip of 520 miles! Indianapolis here we come!

5. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    I'm looking at a 573 hour drive from Central PA.

!snap

6. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    573 hours? I just drove from Indy to Hershey PA this summer and it only took about 8. You coming by bantha? ;) :D

7. Tyles

Tyles Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2001
    Road trip is a good idea. For the celebration in Denver, my friend and I flew there, but since we were not 27 or older, we could rent a car there, and ended up relying in the public transportation... bad idea... this year, we fully intend on driving!!! ;-)

8. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    Well, we drove from Arizona to Denver last year and encountered one heck of an ice/snow storm and thought we wouldn't make it. So just remember that the weather can be quite unpredictable! Also, be sure to have a very reliable vehicle too!

9. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    :D That's 573 miles, not hours. [face_laugh]

!snap

10. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Well unless you're driving through the Rockies to Indianapolis, you won't hit any icy snow storms :) Our weather may be unpredictable, but it's not *that* unpredictable in May.

Also, a warning, if you drive in our area, May is at the very beginning of tornado season. Although we usually don't get them in Indianapolis, they could happen on the road on the way here, so please, be careful everyone. We want you here safe so you can have a stellar time.

11. Fode-n-beed

Fode-n-beed Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2001
    Speaking of tornadoes. Coming back from the denver celebration we stayed for night near oklahoma when that huge f5 tornado lashed the city to pieces.

12. mikk

mikk Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 20, 2000
    Coming from CA myself I would hate to have to drive all that way. Maybe it's because I'm older & the idea of being trapped in a car for 12 hours a day for near 3 days isn't something that sounds all that thrilling. I know after flying all day I'm whipped enough, I'd hate to think what it would be like to drive. Plus you should consider that while heading out to SWC2 may not be that bad you're going to have to turn around & do the same thing at the end of the con.

13. Princess-Leah

Princess-Leah Sketch Card Artist star 5 VIP

Jun 12, 2001
    The road trip sounds like an 'adventure'...When I was younger it would sound like a great idea...funny, when you get older the idea (like mentioned above)just isn't that appealing. I've taken plenty of road trips and they were with great friends, and I had great times...wouldn't trade those experiences for anything.

I too am coming from California, but due to time, and comfort considerations will have to fly.

I will certainly be thinking about all of you taking 'road trips' from all over the US,AND those taking the train or bus or even flying, all converging upon a great event.

Some motherly advice...

*Don't pick up strangers and don't talk to any either, BE AWARE OF YOU, OTHER PEOPLE, AND YOUR SURROUNDINGS (you WANT to make it to the convention)

*Take plenty of snacks, drinks (including plenty of water for you, your friend and your car)

*Get travelers checks, if you lose them you can get them replaced (if someone steals your cash you are just out of luck)

*Take warm clothing, there's always a chance you could be stuck in a 'cold' patch.

**TAKE A RELIABLE CAR!!!! Give the car you will be driving a major tune-up, including tires, you will be much happier if you make it to the convention.

*Check in with your relatives each day, they will worry otherwise (even if they are mad at you for going...hehe...that happened to me when I was much younger).

*Map out a route of camping areas or youth hostels, it'll save you a bunch...and you really need your sleep (don't want to be too tired when you get to the convention)

**Keep a journal and take pictures while you're on the road, it'll add an extra dimension to your experience and years from now you will be glad you documented the convention AND the road trip that got you there!!

OK, enough of that.
    Have fun!!!!

P.L.

14. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    By the way, just for kicks, I looked up how much it would cost round trip to fly from LAX (never been to SoCal but I assume that's where you would fly out of, or at least you could). Flying American Airlines, it is $161.50 round trip, before taxes of course, flying on May 2 and returning May 5.

That is such a good price, I can't even tell you. You can check Travelocity for it.

15. Lost in Coruscant

Lost in Coruscant Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 31, 1999
    If you are in the mid-west, check out southwest.com There's a sale 30 bucks to Indy.

16. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    I love those Southwest Sales :) Problem is, though, you might not be able to book for May yet because I have been trying to book for February to St. Louis and can't yet. But Southwest does have sales often :)

17. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    Weather in the Rockies during May can still produce some whopper snow storms. Many road side rest stops have weather information you can access. Plus radio stations can let you know if there will be any problems. Like what was mentioned above. .Just make sure you pack for problems.

Weather forecast more than a few days out can not be specific enough to be much help and things can change. Storm tracks can vary by small amounts over a short period of time making what would have been clear skies into snowy skies. So you really will not know for sure until it's to late to stop. You will have to keep updated as you go.

And remember.. A 40% chance of rain means there is a 60% chance of dry.

As far as severe weather on the Plaines. Once you are in the wide open spaces you can usually see storms coming from way out. Bad storms are usually short lived. Just hanging out at a truck stop for a few hours may be all you need to avoid being caught in the open. Again if you see gray skies ahead stop at a rest stop or listen to the radio for information.

18. DarthYosef

DarthYosef Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2001
    $161?! If it's that low, forget driving, I'll take the plane! The only reason I thought of driving is because the lowest I could find round trip to Indy from here was $350, and that was after a stop over in Pittsburg, which is on the OTHER SIDE of Indy, and the times were horrible...but if it's only $161, then yeah, sure, I'll go by plane.

I actually was planning to film everything on the trip if we were to go by car, then edit it up and make it into a documentary...but I'm not driving now :)

19. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Go to Travelocity.com and type in LAX to Indianapolis, May 3 Depart LA, May 5 return. It's still there. :) I'd say go for it if you don't mind not filming.

20. Jedi_Kettch

Jedi_Kettch Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2001
    I wish my friends liked Star Wars...I wish at least one of us could drive!

Sam

21. Warriorpoet

Warriorpoet Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    I'm looking forward to the drive, I figure it'll take about 16 to 20 hours to drive from the Twin cities, MN. I just got a convertable this summer, the plates read FALCON

22. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    hey, Warriorpoet you should check out this link.

Minneapolis fan force

Also you can try www.minnesotaforce.org

You can get to know a few other Minnesota folks who will be going to Celebration.

P.s. My sources say it's apx a 10 hour drive from here.

23. BountyHunter1

BountyHunter1 Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2001
    my family and i just got back from disney world and flying was one of the most painful experiences of my life the security is insane but nessacary anyway i am 375 from indi and we are driving any more and it would be a tough call but i can handle 5 1/2 hours i a car because you will spend half of that running through airports and getting through security but flying is awful cheep now

24. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Flying will be a bigger headache soon with longer lines because of the new rule that ALL checked baggage must now be scanned. Hopefully by the time May comes around, it will be easier.

I, myself, am coming from the Chicago area so it won't be that much of a drive.

25. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    A lot of Toronto fans are going, mostly in cars and some are flying. A friend and I will probably go by train through Chicago, but with the exchange rate it's going to cost a ton!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.