main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ROTJ and its flaws

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Gharlane, Feb 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Pikachuwbacca

Darth Pikachuwbacca Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2000
    From what I have seen of Episode II, Anakin wears a costume very similar to Luke's from RotJ.

2. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    As far as the Ewoks go: Lucas replaced the Wookies with Ewoks when realized that a colony of Wookies would pretty obviously be overwhelming. There would be no suspense in that. He chose the Ewoks because he wanted to get the "moral message" across that you can't overlook anyone. The Empire overlooked them for their "cute" appearance and their primative culture, but it cost them.

The reuse of the Death Star? I think you're missing the whole point. The 2nd Death Star was intended to be nothing more than bait for the Rebellion, and more importantly, Luke. I doubt that the Emperor had any serious plans for it. Once the Rebellion was crushed, there would be no need for it. Why didn't they build something else instead of Death Star (to be original)? Think about. The Empire already had plans for a Death Star. They only had to make modifications to a new one better. Why waste time/money/effort coming up with something completely new when you're just using it as bait? Also, the Empire knew that the Rebellion would already have an idea of a Death Star's weakness. A reactor core. So it would be that much more tempting for them to make an attack on it. Plus, the destructive capability of a Death Star had already been shown (in ANH). There would be no need to show it again, whereas there would be for something new.

3. JediSenoj451

JediSenoj451 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2001
    Amen Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu. I agree with you.

Pretend as if RotJ took place in real life. You are the Emperor. You have this huge powerful spacestation (Death Star). Half of it had been blown away, but after spending time and money, you could make it operational again.

Now this is the question I have for you. If you are the Emperor, would you waste even more of your resources by starting from scratch to build a new spacestation, or would you use what you already have? Most people would chose the second. It's smarter and more economical.

4. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jun 1, 2001
    Actually, the 2nd death star was brand new. They didn't rebuild the old one because it was completely blown up. The "gutted out" half was where the new construction was going on. But it still saves time when you already have plans/schematics/designs for one, than coming up with plans/schematics/designs something new.

Anwyay, I know you got the point. Thanks. ;)

5. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jun 1, 2001
    Darth Pikachuwbacca,

Anakin's costume in Episode 2 is quite different from Luke's ROTJ costume, aside from the colors. Anakin's costume implements much more leather, ala Vader's.

6. JediSenoj451

May 24, 2001
    Wow! It was bran new? Man...now you know how stupid I am. For 11 years I thought it was the other half of the Death Star. That just goes to show you how much one can learn from RotJ. I've seen that movie 30 times and I find out something new each time I see it. A good movie is something you can watch over and over again and still learn from it. :) Thanks for pointing that one out Jedi_Tim-Buk_Tu. I owe you one.

7. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jun 1, 2001
    Don't feel stupid, JediSenoj. It just shows what a geek I am! [face_blush]

I've been watching it longer than that (ever since it came out in theaters)!

8. Obi-Wan69

Obi-Wan69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 1999
    JediSenoj451- Did you miss it in ANH when the first DS was completely blown up?
    ;)

9. JediSenoj451

May 24, 2001
    LOL. That's what seemed strange to me. I thought it was blown up totally in ANH. But I couldn't explain why half of the Death Star seemed destroyed in RotJ. I figured that only half of it got blown up in Episode 4. I know I know...it seems silly. I don't know why I never figured it out after all these years.

10. Limbo_Stick

Limbo_Stick Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2001
    BLASPHEMY!!!

11. oBi1JaCoBi

oBi1JaCoBi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 1999
    I would have to say that I enjoy ROTJ more than the ANH and ESB. Everyone, especially Luke is more mature in ROTJ. In ANH and ESB Luke was kinda whiny. I love those movies too because it makes sense that Luke behaved that way, but I liked his character much more in ROTJ. I especially like ROTJ for its ending. Its not too easy to finish off a trilogy and I thought it was done very well.

12. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2001
    Ok, here's the deal. I love ROTJ. It was the first movie my dad ever took me to when I was 4 years old and it's been my favorite movie ever since. As I've grown older I've learned to truly appreciate it more and more. The sail barge scene is exciting. The space battle is amazing. And the duel between Luke, Vader, and the Emperor is as emotionally complex and tense as anything in ANH or ESB (for some reason the only two movies that "Star Wars fans" like). I even like the Ewoks! I love ROTJ and I don't care what any self-rightious person who thinks he could do a better job than Lucas says to try to covince me otherwise.

13. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    lol senoj :D its just that it was under construction and not blown up...

14. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
  15. Jedi_Mira_Lyn

Jedi_Mira_Lyn Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2002
    hi i know im knew here but came across this thread and it looked very interesting
    ROTJ has always been my fave of the trilogy i think ive seen it more times than any of the others. My nephew was never interested in star wars till i let him watch some of the movies he loved it and now at age 10 he's just a big a fan as i am. only problem was when i took him to see TPM he looked at me in a crowded theatre and said rather loudly honestly dont you know this isnt a girls movie. i was dumbfounded that a kid would say something like that lol i had to laugh it really was funny since i got him into the movies in the first place just goes to show kids really do say the darndest things

16. Ga4

Ga4 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2002
    You probably all went over this, but I was wondering...why doesn't the emperor sense Luke on Endor when Vader did. Wasn't he foreseeing everything?

Referring to "strange that I have not.."

17. Bossk_BountyHunter

Bossk_BountyHunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 3, 2002
    I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.

I like ROTJ the least.Why? First off Carrie Fisher's old whiskey hound voice annoys me.

But lets look past that.

Ewoks.Love them or hate them?I didn't like them but they aren't in the film for very long so I can stand them.

Chewie with a Tarzan roar....I thought that was lame.

I am guessing that maybe the actors were getting sick of Star Wars.Ford was just starting to make a name for himself with the fabulous Blade Runner.

To me ROTJ was the worst so far.But it is still good.

18. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

Jedi Tin Buc Too, excellent analysis of why a second death star. Best I've seen.

19. IEatPoodoo

IEatPoodoo Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Am I the only one bothered by the fact that ROTJ is the only SW movie with three .'s at the end of it's opening scroll instead of four?

20. Jedi_Mira_Lyn

Jedi_Mira_Lyn Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2002
    you know Ga4 thats a good question ive always wondered that myself. theres got to be someone out there who can give a verifiable answer to it. Guess we just wait and see

21. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
  22. Scout_Trooper

Scout_Trooper Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2002
    I completely agree with everything Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu said.

And ROTJ is my favorite SW film. I've stated in past posts why, but I'll keep it short and to the point, ROTJ is my favorite simply because I found it to be the most enjoyable of all the SW films.

23. bedada3

bedada3 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 2002
    What happened to all the surfers and M-TV-heads who were talking about how ROTJ "sucked ... just because it sucked"?

Personally, I liked ROTJ (from where I come, "it sucked" means that you hated it). I rank the films like this (very closely rated):

Ep.5
    Ep.6
    Ep.2
    Ep.4
    Ep.1

24. Vonn

Vonn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Bossk,

Hate to tell you this, but Ford hated Bladerunner more than SW.

25. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    True. I remember seeing several articles stating that HF though "Bladerunner" was THE worst movie that he was in. Too bad, it's one of my favorites!

As far as my ROTJ wish-list...
    Replace Ewoks with Wookies
    Cut Chewie's "Tarzan" yell...that's just embarassing
    More Han
    A line or two of REGRET by Anakin before he dies
    Fix the Rancor FX
    Leia in the bikini for the whole film!

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.