main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference RPF Opinion Poll: Where Should The Social Threads Go? POLL CLOSED, see last post for outcome

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by DarthXan318, Aug 1, 2010.

?

RPF Opinion Poll: Where Should The Social Threads Go?

Poll closed Aug 6, 2010.
  1. I like them as they are now, in the RPR.

34.4%
  2. Go back to having a social thread in each forum, but retain the OOC and IC social threads in the RPR

46.9%
  3. Put everything back!

15.6%
  4. Other (please specify)

3.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Please post saying you voted and, if you can, include your reasoning as well. Three posts saying "I think X and this is why" holds more water than fifty mysterious anonymous votes for X. (Although that's mostly because if there were fifty mysterious anonymous votes for X, we might suspect shenanigans, there aren't that many regulars ... :D)

Edit: To clarify -

Option 1 is that we do nothing: Hoopers stays in the RPR, Milliways stays in the RPR, Jocasta Nu's stays in its current incarnation, and TROTSTATEOTG remains locked in the NSWRPF.

Option 2 is that we move Hoopers back to the RPF, unlock TROTSTATEOTG in the NSWRPF and the old Jocasta's in the RPR, and keep the OOC thread and Milliways as they are in the RPF. We'll probably rename the OOC thread in the process, but that's a minor detail.

Option 3 is that we move Hoopers back to the RPF, unlock TROTSTATEOTG in the NSWRPF and the old Jocasta's in the RPR, and lock the OOC thread and Milliways. In essence we return exactly to what we had three months ago.

2. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I'd actually be ok with either putting the social threads back and leaving the OOC threads because I do think that's a perfect use of the Resource forum or putting everything back.

The social threads are what helps people see the RPGs that are running and being added. If it is in Resource you don't have that. When you're not actively involved in an RPG the only reason to click on the RPF or the NSWRPF every day is because of the social thread. Then if you see something you like, you'll most likely check it out and start playing.

The concept of more people involved in the RPR is a good one, but not necessary. The RPR is not for everyone. I have no desire to debate the use of such and such as a GM strategy or help with game mechanics. I just want to play. So attempting to force me to look at those threads just frustrates me because I know that I would be unhelpful in those threads. Plus, since we have the OOC threads there, you're still looking at people coming into the RPR.

I also think that if there is an issue that impacts the whole forum that it wouldn't be a bad idea to either have GM's announce that we'd like people to help or to have a PM system that goes around. In the EUC we had the Senate who voted on things that impacted the forum. Those senators knew of a vote because of PMs. The RPF doesn't have an astronomical amount of people in it, sending out PMs would not take that long (and I'll volunteer to help if it comes to that.)

3. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    Put them back. My reasoning is that I'm just trying to be difficult. :p

Seriously, though, I am of the opinion that social threads drive traffic to a forum. You take them out, and you lose some of the activity. There's also tradition to consider. Hooper's was a staple in the RPF for years. I'm not advocating being a slave to tradition, but in this instance, I don't see a reason to mess with it.

4. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I voted "Go back to having a social thread in each forum, but retain the OOC and IC social threads in the RPR in some form or another." I believe this option will satisfy most people, and therefore is in the best interests of the community.

I like the idea of keeping Jocasta's as an OOC thread. It gives us a place to discuss games specifically, and I agree with Horsey that this is an appropriate use of the Resource forum. There hasn't been as much activity as I would have thought, but I attribute at least some of that to the summer slump.

I'm not so hot on an IC social thread as I've never really seen the point in them, but it seems to be some people's cup of tea. Fair play. We'll see what other people have to say.

I don't really care enough about Hoopers to enter into that debate, but the negativity over its move still left me bewildered. I understand complaints about the purpose of the move (who says we need to attract people to the RPR, has it hurt the RPF in the process, etc). But I cannot comprehend complaints about ease of use. It's still just a click away, or two at most. If you can navigate the boards, you can find Hoopers without confusion or hassle.

5. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    I think we should put things back the way they were.

It feels like people are being forced bunch together in one social thread. When I first came back, I couldn't figure out what was going on and even now that I know where the social thread is, it feels like it has lost some of what made the social threads fun. In the NSWRPF community, we mainly focused on talking about games and interests non star wars and the same for the RPF. I'm not saying you shouldn't be free to discuss whatever you want in a social thread, just that it was a natural hub of putting together people with like minded interests. Sort of a community builder thing.

A lot of games got started and got buzz from the Social Threads how they were so I don't and never saw the need to change anything about it.

-B

6. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    I actually feel they´re totally okay where they are. I really feel disturbed by this "we own a social board2 behavior. I don´t visit them anymore, these days. And i think I am not so alone there. So maybe taking a little of the attention given to them is a good thing.

And what player really ever started of in the Social boards? I think lurker to game-submitter is the classical idea, is it?

7. Kahn_Iceay

Kahn_Iceay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2006
    I voted, I said put everything back, mostly because you're not very specific about the putting social threads in each individual forum. I do however see nothing wrong with an IC and OOC thread existing here in the RPR, so long as the NSWRPF and RPF got their respective social threads back.

8. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    The only reason I came to the RPF was because Sinre was doing a game for the EUC. When I started that game I then started checking out the social thread. From there I moved on to games not run by Sinre because I developed a bond with some of the people in the social thread. So I'd say it was a pretty big deal for me to have that social thread there. Cuz I guarantee that if it was in here when I first transferred over from the EUC that I would not have posted in it and not have developed the friendships that I have now.

9. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Well, at least we have policital parties now in the RPF. Conservatives vs. Reformers. Classical situation I´d say . . .

Concerning the Social Threads, I really don´t think it makes a difference. I do not see how people who do not find it in the RPR could find it in the SWBoard. They will probably simply not look for it.

10. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    Maybe they will find it easier in a place they actually play games. I mean, that just makes since and, I would assume, why they were placed there to begin with.;)

-b

11. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I voted for moving the forum-specific social threads back to their original forums.

I don't disagree that having the OOC social threads that are already in the RPR is a good idea, but I also don't see a reason why Hoopers shouldn't stay in the RPF. I've always been used to having it being there in the RPF, and it feels odd not having it floating around the forum anymore. It's not wrong to have it in RPR, but I liked it the old way.

12. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    I voted. I'm sure that the people who do know where the social thread is and have visited it know what my thoughts are on the subject (Pssst. Option 2) :p

13. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    I voted for option two, as I feel that its the best compromise in the situation. Yes, some good things came out of the changes, but some things went too far, like the moving of the existing social threads. Also, lets look at statistics for the forums. I noticed a huge downturn in posting in the RPF and NSWRPF after the change, which I suspect is not just because the social threads moved, but because the social threads also provided traffic for the actual games.

14. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Voted for putting the social threads back into the individual forums.

My reasoning for that decision was pretty much covered already(increased traffic to the RPF forums, etc), so I'll just leave it at that.

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    VIVA LA RESISTANCE!

[image=http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp39/darthramza/dUkO7.gif]

I like my threads in the RPR, and I don't give two ****s what anyone else thinks.

16. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    I voted: Back to the Future! The OOC/IC threads are cool, but in the end I have to stand by my first from before this started.

I like my social threads where my games are, that way I know the discussion often enough will be about things I'm interested in. Hoopers and the NSWRPF-Social threads were how I found out if I really wanted to join some games. Not to mention it made sense as everybody got to know each others name.

I like to go where everybody knows our names, and the local is settled in.

17. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    That.

Also, I just wanted to say that the second option and the third option are basically the same.

-b

18. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    No - the second option is that we move Hoopers back, unlock TROTSTATEOTG and the old Jocasta's, and keep the OOC thread and Milliways as they are (probably renaming the OOC thread in the process, but that's a minor detail). The third option is that we move Hoopers back, unlock TROTSTATEOTG and the old Jocasta's, and lock the OOC thread and Milliways.

19. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Voted. I like them where they are, mostly because it increases my browsing speed: I don't have to go through three separate social threads, I can concentrate on one.

20. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    Well, when I was told about this discussion I thought it is a little strange . . . but without trying to provoke . . . and in all peace . . . I wanna point something out.

WHEN PEOPLE SAY OOC DOES NOT BELONG TO SOCIAL THREADS, THEY DID BEGIN TO NAIL THE COFFIN OF THEM BELONGING TO GAMES FORUMS.

I mean, . . . I think this is the logical reflection on the policy of crying rivers about people talking games there. If a game can´t be a topic there, HELL why put it in a game forum? So you can access it more easy there? Get some software with which you can design the order yourself and put it next to "How to do a Sandwich", TFU II coming soon" and "HOW TO CHAT UP GIRLS WITHOUT LEAVING MY COMPUTER" and there you are . . . but please don´t try to make Xany and Peng move "sandwich" "tfu" and "girls" something we have next to "AFAS" "MAnCubS" and "Social Thread OOC Forbidden" . . .

So, no surprise I do support that they stay in the RPR. Simply because they have nothing to do with games. But I won´t vote, as otherwise, I will influence decisions about threads I stopped visiting a long time ago. [face_peace]

ood (out-of-discussion):

So, this is my first entry into a TFN discussion, is it? Well. Think my master left a little taint on me.

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's rare I get to drudge up this quote from Boys' State, but rarely is it so apt:

Don't vote? Don't [complain].

Oh, and chatter about a game in the social threads? Fine to a point, but it seems like the problem that kept coming up is it would dominate the conversation. It was really annoying - and hell, I was in most of the games concerned. I go to a social thread to get a break from the games while still interacting with my fellow RPFers. If I want to talk about the game in question I'll... well, take it to the handy OOC thread we currently have.

22. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    I share the two opinions above. Which are actually one. :p OOC is not fine to people in Social threads. Their choice. But the game threads are for game related stuff. Otherwise we can begin posting recipes for cakes there soon . . . or lit discussions . . . or our diaries or whatever. I feel the step to seperate them was clear and logical one. People actually asked for it, they just did not wanted that choice to have any consequence to the position of the Social Thread itself. Which I feel necessary.

23. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Well, it clearly is a paradox to assume threads that ban game talk belong near the games . . . but as I think those who feel strong about it, feel it shall return . . . so be it. I clearly think the relevance of Social forums have dropped in the last two years (everybody can judge for himself why that might be) and moving them to the RPR did not help (although it was totally worth a try) . . . so after some consideration I believe moving them back. At least Hoopers . . . is probably a good idea.

Going back to the old ways, would only invite the old problem of contradictiing statements. The whole system is much clearer now. So the OOC social group should stay.

24. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    :confused:

I rest my case.

As I said, basically, the same. As I understood, this was a discussion about Social Threads and as I remember, Jocasta's, TROTSTATEOTG, and Hooper's were the only confirmed social threads. So it just seems like you're offering the same option twice. As for the OOC and milliways. I wouldn't count them as social threads because that would mean that the RPF has 5 social threads, which is insanity.

-b

25. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    Okay, I voted. You´re right. Democracy is about having an opinion on everything ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.