main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:SA SAFF's birthday calendar

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by MsWinter, Mar 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    I did use the doh smilie though. lmao

2. Quinten_JarVos

Quinten_JarVos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2004
    A scientific look on Astrology

Now people before you read this, I believe that stars have nothing to do with our lives. Tracey on the other hand does and I respect her beliefs. But this below is a Scientific look at astrology and the reasons why it's inaccurate today (if you believe in it)

Astrology or Star Struck
    Listen to Karl talk about Astrology or Star Struck
    (You will need Real Audio which you can download for free)

The word "disaster" comes from Latin words meaning "bad star" - which shows that the Romans thought that the stars could influence our lives. They were wrong, but even today, many people share this belief.

There are several types of astrology. "General Astrology" looks at how humanity is affected by supposedly "significant" alignments of the stars and planet. "Genethlialogy" is a branch that looks at your life based on the positions of the stars and planets at the moment of your birth, while "Catarchic Astrology" tries to find the most auspicious time to start a given task.

The idea that stars express Divine Will goes back some 2,300 years to the Babylonians. They could see with the naked eye seven objects (that they called stars) that moved through the sky - the Sun, the Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. They believed that the gods lived in these "stars", and controlled the destinies of individuals and nations. They thought the gods controlled us either directly by meddling in our affairs, or indirectly, by the intricate relationships of these stars with each other.

To describe the positions of these stars more easily, the Babylonians divided the sky into 12 slices (they had a numbering system based on 12, not 10 as we have). Today, we call these 12 slices the 12 Houses of the Zodiac - eg, Aries, Pisces, Aquarius. The Babylonian astronomers/astrologers closely observed the sky, decade after decade. They noticed that these seven stars seemed to move through the Houses of the Zodiac in totally repeatable ways - coming back to the same location in the same house at the same time, year after year.

But this is where the big problem is.

The constellations shift by about 1o every 72 years, thanks to the drifting of the Earth's spin. The Earth spins around an imaginary spin axis that runs through the North and South Geographic Poles. But it doesn't spin true. If you have ever spun a top, you'll see that this spin axis soon begins to wobble. The spin axis will slowly sweep out a complete circle.

The same thing happens with the spin axis of the Earth - except that it takes about 26,000 years to sweep out a complete circle. So roughly every 2,000-and-a-bit years (26,000 years divided by 12 Houses), the star signs get shifted by one House. The horoscopes you read in the daily newspapers (and that are often written by the most junior journalist on that shift) are wrong by one House. You should be reading the star sign before.

But this is not a new discovery. Back in 129 BC, Hipparchus was the first to find this shifting-of-the-stars when he compared the astronomical records with what he saw with his eyes.

But there's another major problem with astrology, and that is there are so many problems with Astrology, that it's hard to know where to begin.

First, just when is a baby born? Is it when the mother's waters break, or when the baby's head appears, or when the baby's feet come out, or when the cord is cut, or when the placenta is delivered? For that matter, if the stars are indeed so powerful, why should the thin layers of the mother's abdominal wall and uterus provide any barrier to these supernatural forces?

Second, when reading the daily horoscope, how can one-twelfth of the world's population all fly down to Tasmania for a hot weekend with a tall handsome stranger? How would the airlines cope with the unexpected load?

Third, why are all the people born on the same day of the same year so different? Surely, they should have similar appearance, lifestyle and behaviour?

But most importantly, none of the detailed statistical studies that have looked at a

3. TROOPER_WANNABE

TROOPER_WANNABE Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2005
    And here I thought My message was going to be long

4. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR star 6

Feb 7, 2005
    Oh ... I ain't getting involved in this one *puts his fingers in his ears*

5. DarkDisciple

DarkDisciple Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 20, 2005
    *Runs away and hides* ;)

6. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    But then again with Astrology, when it was documented into the twelve Zodiac's the Earth was in a different position. There are now, infact, Thirteen signs of the Zodic and some people's birthdays now fall in the sign before or after their original ones.

So I'm technically not a Scorpio, I'm a Libra.
    You should check out some sites related to this, it's very interesting.

7. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    and this is why our world is such an awesome place. So many ideas, thoughts and philosophies. Sure, we don't all agree, but that's what makes it so cool :D

For the record, I don't take sides. For me, astrology has always appeared real, but I couldn't care less if no one else agrees with me.... It doesn't matter if anyone is right or wrong. It's all a matter of perception... the scientific mind, and the heart have always been in conflict.

It's not like people make major decisions in their lives based on what they see in their chart. It's like everything, merely a guide. It can be a tool for understanding.... I don't think that ever a professional astrology ever claims that it can be used for anything more.

You are the one who makes decisions in your life and takes the appropriate action based on that :D

8. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR star 6

Feb 7, 2005
    You're right ... there are always truths ... from a certain point of view!

9. MsWinter

MsWinter Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    thankyou people!! At last, some sembelence of sanity!! yay!!

I don't know why anyone has to take sides anyway - isn't that how wars start? :D

10. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    We are the sum of our past experiences and our future expectations.

Evil 3:16

11. MsWinter

MsWinter Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    you're just weird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.