main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hou, TX September Meeting

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by _erikstormtrooper_, Sep 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _erikstormtrooper_

_erikstormtrooper_ Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2006
    How does Saturday, September 19th look for everyone?

EDIT: Meeting will be on the 26th.

2. ID6796

ID6796 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2009
    Some of the main attendees will be in Plano for the Balloon Fest. The Darth Vader balloon will be there.

3. Zakk

Zakk Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2006
    I'll be around.

4. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    Is Saturday the 26th a better day for anyone?

5. Zakk

Zakk Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2006
    Either one works for me, Erik.

6. TI1420

TI1420 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    The 26th is better for me. 19th is iffy.

7. Danpa_Wamem

Danpa_Wamem Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2005
    The 19th I will be up in Plano for the Vader Balloon and on the 26th I will be in San Antonio to watch A New Hope (supposedly an original version with mono soundtrack) on the big screen at Alamo Drafthouse.

8. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    Considering that the 19 is this weekend and response has not been that great, I think we should shoot for the 26 at this point.

9. TI1420

Nov 5, 2002
    Third Planet Comics (very near Stag's Head) is having a store anniversary party on the 26th; they've invited the 501st to troop in the store. Looks like I'll do that in the afternoon, then head over to Stag's for the meeting afterward.

I've sent an email to Stag's asking about reserving the party room; I'll post the info here when I get it.

10. StormMoose

StormMoose Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2005
    Afternoon at the planet and Stags afterwards sounds good to me. Clone time if the rocket launcher is finished otherwise its dirty sandtrooper.

11. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    Our meeting will be 6:30 this Saturday, September 26, at the Stag's Head (http://www.stagsheadpub.com/).

The RSVP list so far:
    me - Yes
    TI1420 (Ian) - Yes
    StormMoose (David) - Yes
    Danpa_Wamem (Danny) - No
    Zakk (Chris) - Yes

Ian, can we reserve the party room?

Everyone else, please let me know if you can make it. Thanks!

12. ID6796

Apr 26, 2009
    I am there as long as the babysitter doesn't bail on me. (Wife out-of-town so I have to get a kid sitter.)

13. TK8171

TK8171 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2009
    Sorry Erik. I will be in San Antonio at the A New Hope showing for charity. Hope the meeting goes good. Drink one for me :)

14. StormMoose

StormMoose Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2005
    Kat from the Star Garrison is coming.

15. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    OK. Thanks for the replies.

The NEW RSVP list:
    me - Yes
    TI1420 (Ian) - Yes
    StormMoose (David) - Yes
    Danpa_Wamem (Danny) - No
    Zakk (Chris) - Yes
    ID6796 (John) - Probably
    Kat (from 501st) - Yes
    TK8171 (Chris) - No

So we should have at least 6 people. We'll see if we can get the party room when we get there.

I sent a PM to Amidala Starkiller yesterday to announce our meeting on the FanForce and tfn.net front pages. Hopefully she will add it soon.

16. TI1420

Nov 5, 2002
    Another person potentially showing up is a fellow named Alfonso.

I have already booked the Oak Room. The total tab needs to average out to $10 per person plus a 17% gratuity.

17. ID6796

Apr 26, 2009
    I will be there around 6:30.

18. HANs_BAR_TAB

HANs_BAR_TAB Jedi Knight

Oct 1, 2007
    If I can make it I will have my little one in tow-cable. 50-50 to make it.

I trust a bottle of Scotch comes with that room then. Jeez.

19. TK8171

Feb 21, 2009
    Well, San Antonio has been cancelled. Danny and I will be at stag's tomorrow morning, then Stag's. See you guys tomorrow.

20. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    Sorry it was canceled, but it will be good to have y'all.

Mighty suspicious ... a showing of the theatrical version of Star Wars canceled at the last minute.

21. Zakk

Zakk Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2006
    Sorry I didn't make it folks. Caught a stomach bug this afternoon and figured I'd spare you all some of my...discomfort. Hope to see you guys at Fan Days and/or the October meeting.

Chris.

22. TI1420

Nov 5, 2002
    Sorry I didn't make it, either. I reckon y'all would probably rather I not share the strep & bronchitis that hit me this week.

I have some info from the All-Con organizers, though I think we should take all possible Con discussion out of public view.

How was the Oak Room?

23. Danpa_Wamem

Danpa_Wamem Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2005
    It was nice to be back at the meeting as I've missed the last few lately due to trooping, etc.

The room was nice.

24. ID6796

Apr 26, 2009
    The oak room worked well. When we arrived they asked how we wanted the room as to table locations, chairs, etc. Also it has a separate volume control for the music. We were able to turn it off completely when we started talking which was very nice. The waitresses really took care of us also.

If possible, I would like to see if we could get it each meeting.

Also we had 3 new people show up. They eagerly offered info that had on Cons from their experiences. One lady I believed is friends with some of the board memebers of the Apollo Con and had first hand knowledge of some of things they have encountered and some very good suggestions.

25. TK8171

Feb 21, 2009
    I tried to contact Apollocon yesterday. Danny and I were asked if we would be willing to do a costuming panel next year. I sent word that I would like to do that. This past Apollocon did not go well due to many reasons. They received us well, there just was not enough of us to receive. Also one of our 501st friends kinda of rubbed them the wrong way with free admissions talk. SO, I still think we can make it work at Apollocon.

Worst case is this:
    1) We pay for the table
    2) We pay for our hotel rooms

Best part:
    1) Con polotics are handled by others
    2) we run an awesome table and host an awesome room party on the party floor.
    3) The following years, everybody will be looking for us.

Why do I say that? When we went everyone asked where was the 501st party going to be. If we add the 501st/ Rebel Legion / Fanforce it is bases loaded, triple threat. Anyways, I feel this is the way to go. It seems that we are unsure about how to start our own con, so maybe this can be the springboard for us to start one. This thing is in our back yard so why not take advantage of it. In a couple of years it could be Allcon in houston.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.