main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sexualizing in EU–does it fit Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Revanfan1, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I wonder if the Jedi Order tacitly allows the mild romances in the Padawan period as sort of a "Breaking Amish" type scenario, so the Jedi can choose to either experience it and then devote themselves to the Order, or leave the order before they are full members and it becomes more problematic.

themetresgained and Revanfan1 like this.
  2. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    Thinking of Obi-Wan and Satine with that one, or just talking in general?

3. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Well, in general, as it would help explain all the padawan romances around.

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    May be of some interest:

5. Rogue Five

Rogue Five Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 11, 2014
    Well to be fair, male characters can wear all but two of those outfits, and they tend to show much more chest on males. Plus dudes can run around totally shirtless, which of course females cannot.
    Silly outfits aside, The Old Republic doesn't really over sexify (is that a word?) any of its characters. The only time your female companions wear outfits like that is if you make them. Their default gear is practical robes and armor.
    As for if it fits Star Wars... Running into battle into a bikini isn't really practical, but it's not without precedent in SW ie Darth Talon. Like I said, Tor is better than some cases (again, Talon) since any gear like that is totally optional.

TKT likes this.
  6. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    Optional except for how many people actually wear it. I use especially the dancer's outfits to play a game I call "spot the male gamers I don't want to play with". Especially when on a female potential love interest who would not wear such a thing (see: all the half-naked Elara Dornes).

And there's a difference with how much chest is shown because it's not "indecent" for men to be shirtless. And just why is the slave/dancer's outfits female only, hmm? Just because swtor is "better" doesn't mean they get a free pass from this sort of critique.

Sent from my X-wing via R2-J6

7. Rogue Five

Jun 11, 2014
    It's interesting because at the launch of the game, there were like two midriff bearing outfits (well, only bare for female toons) and the slave girl outfit. That was it in terms of skimpy gear. Every other female only dancer outfit came in the first round of cartel packs back at the end of 2012. There was a big outcry on the forums demanding skimpy gear for male toons, so Bioware has released a slew of outfits in packs since then that are revealing for toons of both genders. I'm not saying TOR gets away scot free, but it is better than a lot of other MMOs in that regard. Terra online anyone?
    And yes, half naked Knights running around with half naked Kiras are almost always dudes.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's also not really optional, either. I haven't played in a while -- but I remember that when I ran my (male) Jedi Knight through the starter area on Tython, the best robes you got were these nice ceremonial looking things. Female JK characters equipping the exact same item got some sort of sports bra. But I guess there was always the option of wearing inferior armor.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  9. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    Like I said, better doesn't excuse it. This is really on the devs' heads for not thinking about this stuff and making those decisions. And talking to the producers didn't exactly change anything: "sex sells" was the excuse. And it may be true, but when there's an imbalance like that, people notice. I'd still love to know why they couldn't have gone to the extra creative step of designing a male slave outfit. Or dancer. They still could, but I doubt they will.

This isn't to say that I don't approve of revealing outfits at all; I use the Jedi robe-looking one on my male Knight, kind of as a joke. It's the imbalance that frustrates me.

Yes, the crop-tops. Mostly for Knights and Warriors. I think they've minimised their use, but they're still around, and there's only one I've seen that I like cropped. Funny though that I've heard complaints that male characters can't wear the cropped version; I'd be down for that, honestly.

Sent from my X-wing via R2-J6

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I had two Jedi -- one male knight and one female consular -- and both of them wear the fanciest fancy thing they can get their hands on. Usually the only skin showing is their face, and sometimes (like with that one consular hat) only part of it.

11. Rogue Five

Jun 11, 2014
    All but one of my eleven (been playing since launch) toons are dressed head to toe, males and females (mostly females because except for the smuggler, hunter, and warrior VAs, the female VAs are vastly superior. (And even then the hunter is a toss up.)
    The one exception is my Guardian, who wears the Jedi crop top thing. I really like it! But to each their own. [:D]

(And I'm not sure how people with skimpy toons take them seriously in cutscenes. I've had my toons in their underwear in cutscenes for giggles, and while the utter lack of reaction from npcs is funny at first, it really does completely break any attempt at immersion after a while.)

Revanfan1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.