main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Should crack be legal?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi-Zahn Kenobi, Dec 8, 2012.

?

Should crack be legal?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    84.8%
  1. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    We also came up with equally dangerous things like science, learning, discovery, economics, politics, etc...

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Religion, the opiate of the masses.

I am not so sure that's what Even was referring to though.

3. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Meth maybe?

Let's play "guess what Even meant"!

You get 20 questions, step right up.

4. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    yeah it was meth. seriously i need to just write guidebooks to the boards for the rest of you

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    How many people do you reckon do meth and say, "oh god"?

Thank YOU, sir.

6. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    I think there should be a test that everyone who takes crack or wants to take crack needs to undergo. Can they survive if they do a bungee jump without the bungee? If they can, then let them go nuts and stay the £%^& outta their way.

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, because ignoring the problem totally makes it go away, and stuff.

8. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    The JCC?

9. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    This is pretty much how I feel.

Actually, I didn't intend to relate this to abortion at all, but I understand why you would think that.

I'm actually very supportive of the principle of "my body, my choice", especially in cases of genital mutilation, contraceptives, alcohol, tobacco, illegal drugs.

I wouldn't call this a legitimately held conviction. I definitely think tobacco, alcohol, and marijuana should be legal, very strongly. I feel like the net negative of having a black market for harder drugs is probably worse than the net negative of having them legal. Definitely open to other opinions, though.

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This model ignores the critical fact that drugs, by their very nature, grossly distort the decision-making capacity of the individual with regards to continued usage.

11. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    legalizing crack would be lol. shortest span of time between passage and repeal EVER - the crack legalization act.

law-l

12. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Your concerns are quite well-founded. As I indicated earlier in the thread, my views on this subject are quite tentative and certainly open to re-evaluation. (For some levity, here's a great Cracked.com article for the breathless "legalize all drugzz!!!11!" crowd that thinks doing so would be the panacea to all of society's ills). The problem as I see it is that we have this incredibly broad umbrella term for any substance that affects consciousness--"drugs"--that completely elides the wildly disparate risks and potential benefits that different drugs present. This is a very complex issue, and I think the discourse about it and policies ought to be commensurately complex. Public policy, however, incorporates virtually none of these distinctions, and the continued justification of the War on Drugs must subsequently fall back on outright, transparent, falsehoods (Marijuana is a Schedule 1 drug, meaning it's at least as dangerous as cocaine--really?). In addition, I think the current approach is pragmatically counter-productive in at least two respects. One, it lends a sort of alluring, "forbidden fruit" aura to drugs that makes acquiring and using them more appealing to rebellious adolescents, and two, and far more significantly, I think our relentless persecution and prosecution of drug users keeps drug users from rising out of the economic despair that makes habitual use of these substances so alluring as a crutch in the first place.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The only good John Cheese column I've ever read.

14. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I'll never forget when we had an open mic in the quad at my junior college when the California legalization measure was on the ballot. One moron went up to the stage and cheerfully asked "Okay, how many of you out there, by a show of hands, have driven drunk? Okay, now, how many of you have driven high? I've done both, and driving high was clearly less dangerous".

Ugh.

15. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    That's clearly fake, everyone know crackhead's don't have any money to pay for crack.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The minute I change my avatar from the Picard facepalm this thread pops up. [face_sigh]