main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should Off-Topic threads about other books related to SW be allowed?

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Poll forum' started by Kadue, Sep 27, 2002.

?

Should Off-Topic threads about other books related to SW be allowed?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Yes

62.0%
  2. No

38.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
  2. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    There has been no hard and fast rule on allowing OT discussions of books, although generally they have been allowed.

The question being asked here is if you would like to see some threads discussing non-SW books if they are of a similar vein to SW, and/or by established SW authors.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Yes. I guess I'd say SFF/Horror only, as it's the "weird fiction"/fantastique genre that Star Wars fits in. That said, I did have a pretty interesting Great Literature thread going for a while, too.

4. darthparth

darthparth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2001
    This is a Star Wars Lit board, not a Literature (SciFi/Fantasy/Horror??) board...

5. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Myself, I think it's nice to broaden the horizons sometimes - not too often, but sometimes. Simply because, SW is part of a genre - the genre of science-fiction and fantasy. I don't see much wrong with acknowledging that the rest of the genre exists...

Of course, only in moderation, yeah? Don't want it so we click on Lit Page One and there's no SW there at all - but frankly, I sincerely doubt that would *ever* happen anyway!

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I voted "Yes," but I would have voted "Other" if given a choice -- let me explain.

Babylon 5 novels can be tangentially tied to Star Wars, both in thematic elements and because Keyes wrote novels in both areas. I can see that being a viable candidate for a thread.

But the Spiderman novel thread? Farscape? Other than sci-fi (or repulsorlift vehicles) I don't see how all other sci-fi/fantasy novels should be tied in here...

So basically, my feelings would be -- if it can be tangentially tied to Star Wars, I'd be for it -- otherwise I'd prefer to not have the clutter.

7. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    J_K_DART

Of course, only in moderation, yeah? Don't want it so we click on Lit Page One and there's no SW there at all - but frankly, I sincerely doubt that would *ever* happen anyway!

Take a look at this board. ;)

8. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    As long as a book does relate to SW in some way, I'm fine with it. On the other hand, there are certain books that I think would be better off discussed over in the Amphitheatre, where they currently have a lot of book threads, if I'm not mistaken.

So I voted "yes", but it's really more of a, "Yes, if..." Then again, I don't think we really have a problem with this currently in Lit anyway.

9. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I voted yes, but I'd prefer to see a completely separate forum to avoid clutter.

10. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    We have something called "The Amphitheatre." I think it would be wise to throw new business like this toward that forum. There are more than enough SW topics to sustain Lit for a long time. I don't think OT threads about non-SW books should be allowed.

11. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    I think there should, just because conversation tends to lull and get spammy in the periods between Star Wars books. I think this would reduce that tendency.

12. stecm

stecm Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2002
    Between books, definitely, after all it is a Literature forum and between books we have almost nothing to talk about...

13. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    No that's what The Amphitheatre and Your JC Community are for.

But I guess that could go into the EUC

14. stecm

May 3, 2002
    YJCC is too cluttered as it is, and it seems not many people visit the Amphitheatre, IMO...

15. The_Standmaiden

The_Standmaiden Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 28, 2002
    Maybe just a few for similar series (ie Babylon 5, etc), or a huge "Other Books" type thread for each major genre (ie horror, sf/f, mystery, etc).

EDIT: I actually like flying_fishi 's idea better.

16. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    Yes. But I think only for EU authors... like a discussion on the 'Caine' books.

I KNOW there's the A&A forum, but I don't think enough people visit that :)

~monogpfm

17. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    Initially, I was of the opinion that OT threads should be allowed in Literature. Banning them seemed like a case of over-moderation. At first glance, there is really is no need to ban the OT threads. They don't put much strain on the moderation team, and it would appear that there is little to gain from making this change.

However, I agree with Lord Bane. The Amphitheatre really is the most appropriate place, thus I feel we should limit the Non-Star Wars Literature to the Amphitheatre, etc. Also, these topics will have the added benefit of a more diverse group of posters, as there are people who frequent the Amphitheatre who do not normally participate in Lit.

18. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    Although I do visit the Lit. board mainly to read about SW literature, from time to time a topic about a non-SW book comes up, and I think that's great! Since it seems like most of the Lit. forum regulars read extensively, it's nice to be able to chat with fellow board members about non-Star Wars books. I'm not suggesting that topics like "The New Tom Clancy Book-Like or Dislike?" be allowed, but if the book is judged to be reasonably related to Star Wars, I think a topic about it should be allowed.

19. Thejedikiller

Thejedikiller Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 1999
    I say no. The reason is Gatherer said that was one of the main reason's he started the authors board in the first place. Back in the day it was OK, but now that we have a specific board for them, I don't see why we need them in the Lit forum any longer.

20. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    What about discussing Heinlein? Or Feintuch? Or Card?

21. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I think this is what the Authors & Artists Forum is for...

22. stecm

May 3, 2002
    Yeah, but not too many people frequent that forum...

As long as the authors are EU authors (Like Stover, Williams, etc.) I don't see why not, but no Tom Clancy and other authors...

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    In the "Games" forum they discuss other games besides Star Wars. I don't see how it could hurt to discuss other books.

24. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I think they should be, but only if they are by Star Wars authors. IMO, general book discussion should be in the Amp.

25. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I think if the topic is a compare and contrast one with SW then it would be ok, otherwise, the Ampitheater is the place to go. That board moves slowly so there is a better chance the topic will stay on the first page and not get lost as well, plus you will get more than just Lit people posting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.