main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL Site

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by chewbacca1138, Jan 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chewbacca1138

chewbacca1138 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    I finally updated it. I'm actually thinking of getting a new host since the one we currently have sucks now. Even when you choose nonpop-up ads, they still pop and vice versa.

Well for now, just visit the site:
    http://orlandosystem.cjb.net

Send me your suggestions or comments, or post them here.

2. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
    They now even ask to install stuff on my system! Uhg!

Also, you should have links to any type of Who-Are-You in the Star Wars Galaxy you can find. There should be a ton of them out there. At one time, you had the Force User one, but it has vanished. Grumble.

Brandon

3. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Well despite the stinky host tricks, the update's a real improvement. I'm no help at getting rid of the plethora of pop-ups (I'm only an interpreter and not very knowledgable at such things), but I thank you, Stefanie, for your time.

I thought the personality quiz was a nice idea, but I don't miss it all that much.

4. Ruckus

Ruckus Jedi Master star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    Hey if we have some kind of pic we wanna put up on the site what kind of specifications does it have to meet?

5. chewbacca1138

Mar 12, 2002
    No specifications. Just make sure it is not lude (offensive, nude, etc). Oh, and make sure it actually has to do with star wars, the fanforce or us. (Like, don't send in a picture of your grandmother or something HAHAHAHA)

6. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    What if it is my grandmother in Jedi robes?

7. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    While this is about the site here, not the pop-up special site, I figured it still applied and might draw a reply from the right people. Can we get rid of, or update the Orlando System Member List that appears on all of our boards? It's outdated to the point that only a couple of the names still matter in the Orlando scheme of things, doesn't feature many of the current participators, and is a locked thread. Thoughts?

8. tristan458

tristan458 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2003
    I say we get rid of it!

9. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    A majority of the peeps up there are active some moved to Melbourne- which- if you think the Orlando chapter is bad shape- Melbourne is worst off. We started off way strong- I mean we had like 10 or so people at the meetings- but one by one they disappeared- then it got down- this seems to happen to me a lot- me and 2 other people were the only people attending the meetings- then I sorted gave up with them- unless things start picking up. Anyways- Stef I think at the next meeting I am gonna give ya a CD with all my CGI Star Wars pics and CGI movies- you can pick and choose whatever ya wanna post- there won't be a massive alot of stuff- but a good start to put up.

10. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    In lieu of starting the "In Appreciation of 1138's Newsletter" I'll just put it in here. Stefanie, thanks for taking the initiative. It's a marvelous* first ish. Well done. Brandon and I had talked a bit about this but I never pursued it. One idea that we came up with is a section with one or more links to Star Wars-related websites suggested by the members with perhaps their own blurb to accompany. In the next day or so (not Leiaorso#) I'll send you my first contribution. And surely we need to have a miniscule contest to name the newsletter. My weak first effort
    is "Orlando's Not a System, it's a Newsletter."

-Campbell

* the entire reason I used this adjective was for the amusement of Brandon and Melanie.
    # that foolishness is a pun on Stefanie's other handle.

11. chewbacca1138

Mar 12, 2002
    Good Idea Campbell. Actually, I know how hectic a newsletter can be to keep up (I used to have my own for Star Wars Weekends), yet this is a just a little thing so people can keep updated if they don't visit the boards. I was thinking just having a little reminder about a week before a meeting, and a "newsletter" the week after, such as the one sent.

The links are awesome ideas. If neone has any other input, send it on in!

As for the contest, just give your input and we can decide either on here, or at a meeting.

If you didn't get a newsletter, just send me your name and email and I will add you to the mailing list!

12. Ia-Bou

Ia-Bou Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2001
    as soon as my computer starts workign again i will get my email address collection together for you :)

13. chewbacca1138

Mar 12, 2002
    I didn't feel like adding a new thread to our ever growing forum so here's a rebirth of this old one.

Anyways, as most of you who go on the site have noticed, tripod has impregnated the sites they host with ads and crap. It truly is annoying. Well, I have a proposition.

I was looking at paid hosting/domains. If we "upgrade" through tripod, we can get our own domain and NO ADS for about $9/month with a $15 installation. I was thinking maybe we could all chip in and get it going. PLUS, it would add extra storage capacities (50MB total), which is going to be needed at the rate we are taking pictures of events.

Then again, I have a query. As most of you know, I will be leaving in August for college and it will be impossible for me to run the site or even remain in the Orlando Fanforce. (I will come back occasionally and annoy you guys though). Either way, when I leave I'm not sure if the site will remain unless one of you guys takes over. IF a stable webmaster isn't set up, then I wouldn't suggest paying for a site...

I will leave this up to discussion and perhaps we can go over it during the next meeting (in June?)

14. KidAJoe

KidAJoe Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2004
    If you guys are interested, I could host the site. Me and a buddy of mine have a little webhosting/design company going on the side. Vertigosoulutions.net is our site. It actually down temporarily because we both just moved, but should be back up within the next 2 weeks, along with our ability to host.

I'm not sure who's doing all your design work, is it just stef? She's going to college. So you'll need a new webmaster. I'd do it myself, although I will likely only be in Orlando area for a couple years. Eitherway, I'm not sure how much control you'd like to leave in the hands of a new member.

Really having one webmaster is great for leadership, but having a bunch of people to contribute and share the duties would be make thing easier. I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse. just wanted to add this as a side note.

Anyway, I don't know, a couple ideas on the table anyway. I'll talk to my buddy tonight see what he says, see what kind of deal we could cut.

Joe P.
    Winter Park

PS - Stef, I sent you an email so I could get a copy of that newsletter you made up.

15. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    50mb storage for $9/month and $15 installation fee?

How about $4/month for 300mb space and no set up fee? My site is at p4host.com and I've had no problems with them. I have PLENTY of server space, PLENTY of bandwidth, and the server has gone down ONCE that I remember in the past year, and that was only for about an hour.

Also, I'm willing to host a site if no one else feels they can or want to. I enjoy creating web pages and the like, but I've never found my hook (i.e. content worthy enough to give purpose to my own site). So, the offer is there. No ads, no pop ups, plenty of bandwidth and server space.

Let me know.

L8r

ETA: If anyone is curious about my mad webmasterin' skillz, yo, click here to check out my site. :) It's not finished, because frankly I wasn't really inspired by my content (I haven't even done any updates since late last year), but there is content there, so feel free to look around. I'd use a different aesthetic for a SWFF site, of course.

16. JediScout

JediScout Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    Im with Mike on this one. Nothing personel but I would rather have someone do it thats going to be around for a while. That way in two years or whatever were not rushing to change things around.

Dale

17. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Well, I can't say much for my ability to host anything, since I'm pretty much going to be in Orlando for only 5 months, but I'm a whiz with Photoshop and could do some graphics and design, and turn it over to someone with a, shall we say, less transient position?

Dana

18. chewbacca1138

Mar 12, 2002
    You guys rock...

I looked over mike's host. The space and stuff looks awesome, but does it allow FTP uploads and does it have a CGI-BIN? I can live without the CGI but FTP is a must...I hate going on the site to upload, total pain in the ass...

As for Joe, that would be great. Please do get back to me on that.

As for the webmaster thing...maybe we should have a contest to see who could be it? Nah, just kidding. I never really got into the site with anyone because no one ever showed real interest...some people did, but it is hard to do, I guess. I'm a simple coder, I try to keep it all HTML, so it's hard to have people post news and stuff (although I could always add a newsboard). Either way, I would set everything up for the next person(s) to come in and have at it.

19. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    Yes on the FTP uploads and CGI-bin. It even comes with a free message board and chat room! :) I honestly have no complaints with my host. I have plenty of space, bandwidth, and toys to play with.

Now, while I know a CGI-bin exists, I haven't used it for anything. I've just been using HTML with a couple of javascript things here and there. But I don't think our FanForce site needs to be overly complicated, so I think I'll be able to handle it if it ends up on my shoulders. :)

L8r

ETA: I took the liberty of creating a subdomain at my site: fanforce.roguezeppo.com

There's nothing there but a placeholder screen, but it's there and ready if you all decide to use it.

20. chewbacca1138

Mar 12, 2002
    That's awesome. I definitely think we should take up that plan. Or maybe, do you think you can just host us on your site Mike? It would be easier, and would'nt take up that much room (well, the pics might a little). Either way, if we get our own, I'm sure we could take turns paying the $4 a month or something...we will discuss it at the meeting.

21. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    Stef, you replied as I was editing my post. :) I'm already paying the money for my own purposes, and I just created a subdomain off my site so I could keep things separate. So I won't be incurring any extra costs and it'll still be like we had our own site.

Let me know.

L8r

22. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    Hey guys, I've played with the fanforce site I threw up a bit. If you click the Death Star on the main page it'll lead you to a "coming soon" page. If you click the banner on the top it'll lead you back here.

Ever since the idea of running our local FanForce site entered my brain I've been going over various ideas for layouts and the like. I guess I'm just waiting for the official "it's all you, Mike," before I go any further. Maybe it can be a topic of discussion at the next meeting if need be.

Have fun.

L8r

23. chewbacca1138

Mar 12, 2002
    I must admit the death star is awesome. Yet, I've always been against the star background and stuff...I dunno it just looks like one of those "fan sites" that never gets finished and has two crappy gifs dancing around. You can do better Mike!

Yeah, we definitely need to discuss the webmaster transfer at the next meeting. I'm sure Mike'll probably be it, unless someone else with prior web experience is looking to compete? ;)

24. raiza123

raiza123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2003
    My vote is for Mike. I think it looks great (I'm not picky). Just as long as we can have all of our information on there it'll work for me.

Melanie

25. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    Like I said, those are just placeholders. The actual working fan site wouldn't have the star background. ;) Believe me, I've seen any enough cheesy fan sites to know what to avoid doing. Heh heh.

L8r

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.